Ok temp for making candies??

• Thread starter Ready_set_g0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Ready_set_g0

Hey!

I found this recipe for caramel that came out pretty good, but need some help. After cooling the caramel is perfect in the fridge but gets soft and gooey at room temp, which isn’t working.

I see online I need to get the cook to between 244-248 degrees to get the right firmness.

But I’ve heard that too high temp may hurt the THC.

Any thoughts?

Ok temp for making candies
TomH

TomH

Maybe I'm missing something, but could you make the carmel by bringing it up to temp, then, as it's getting cool, add the magic sauce?
If you are cooling the carmel on a cooling table, you might need to be quick about it, but might still work.

R

Ready_set_g0

That’s a good thought. I’m really not sure if that would impacts the candy making. This is why I stick to cooking and not baking.

Z

Zill

Tom H has good point to consider.

Carmel is the very flavorful reaction between a sugar and protein. I think it’s called a Maillard reaction. Describing the browning between a protein and reducing sugars. Delicious.

TSD

TSD

I wouldn't add it after, it likely won't set but you never know... caramel is a tricky one, but yes, if it's too soft it needs to be brought up a few degrees during cooking. It's recommended to decarb weed at 250° so 248 is no problem. You can't cook brownies or cakes at 250 and I've never made an edible that didn't work lol. You can reheat caramel and bring it up to temp again too btw if you want to try and firm it up. If it breaks your teeth... it got too hot🤣

freezeland2

freezeland2

I wouldn't add it after, it likely won't set but you never know... caramel is a tricky one, but yes, if it's too soft it needs to be brought up a few degrees during cooking. It's recommended to decarb weed at 250° so 248 is no problem. You can't cook brownies or cakes at 250 and I've never made an edible that didn't work lol. You can reheat caramel and bring it up to temp again too btw if you want to try and firm it up. If it breaks your teeth... it got too hot🤣
I make chocolate chip cookies at 350 and get whacked from them.

TSD

TSD

I make chocolate chip cookies at 350 and get whacked from them.
Exactly. Most baked goods need higher temps to cook... though the actual item and therefore the thc isn't getting to 350 degrees in the oven, and caramel does need to get to 250 to set... but that's still fine because THC doesn't evaporate till 292.

R

Ready_set_g0

Awesome. Thanks for the input! I’ll let you know how I make out.

Top Bottom