ok to trim most fan leaves?

• Thread starter username09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aleYarok

aleYarok

Ive been plucking fan leafs for years, ive run a ton of test, it helps my yeild and quality

I start in veg, and usually pluck once a week. in flower I typically dont pluck until wk, and thats it. its strain specific so I suggest running some side by sides
what week in flower?

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
typically day 21

What up Dizzle? Hey do you have a before leafing pic and an after? I'm curious what it might look like for the 3rd week of bloom.

Cheers,
Crom

B

bonerface

Yes, you can take too many fans off. Another way to handle canopy control is to remove the lower bud sites, as they don't have good POTential anyway.

I wish I would have done this to mine. I was hesitant to chop the lower growth but I now have more shit popcorn then solid nug. Chop that shit! You will be pissed for keeping lower growth to grow trash when you could have doubled your real nugs!

Jeezer

Jeezer

i start triming since veg. I take off any leaf that is blocking light to a lower branch. I keep doing this all the way thru flowering. Helps my yield a ton and i get way less air buds. It also seems to keep my plants shorter

C

Cornelius

a lot of my friends "lollipot" the stems. pretty much clean up all the way to the top 6in of each branch in veg, that way when flower hits, no little larfy nugs to deal with in the end. i did it up to week 2 of flower and didnt see any negative results

S

slurryman

i'd say leave the top leaves alone and trim the lower branches/twigs

half baked

half baked

a lot of my friends "lollipot" the stems. pretty much clean up all the way to the top 6in of each branch in veg, that way when flower hits, no little larfy nugs to deal with in the end. i did it up to week 2 of flower and didnt see any negative results

i do the same thing and never no problems

hb

U

username09

update 2/10

so out of 10 clones, today i had the first sight of roots on one. i went ahead and put it in a cup of perlite and put it under the light with the plants i've already got flowering. hopefully within the next few days i'll see more roots start to sprout.

M

mellokitty

a good rule of thumb for fanleaves is to take from ones the stalk's turned red/purple on (unless you have a purple strain, or it's cold in your room, in which case you'll need to be extra selective), also prioritise removing the not-so-perfect ones first, since they're not providing complete light nutrients if they can't photosynthesise properly.

as for your clones, you want to keep a close eye on them for signs of hermaphroditism (they look like tiny little bananas not much bigger than the 'hairs'), since being cut off its mother plant is a stressful event for the little girls and might bring out potential instabilities the strain might have. you probably won't have to get rid of the whole plant if you do see them, but you want to get rid of that section asap.

OGONLY

OGONLY

I have been using clones from plants 2 weeks in flower for 2 rounds now.

No they didn't root faster than non-flowering clones.

Yes they do take a bit of time to reveg (1 week or so) and 24 hours light will speed that up. You will maybe see some spiral and single bladed leaves, just pluck them off. Eventually all will be just fine.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

mellow kitty would you care to elaborate on your theory.

Melvan

Melvan

To me, purple stems mean you have a phosphorous deficiency that should be corrected.

Hermaphrodism isn't connected to cloning, which isn't really cloning, it's just rooting a cutting. For some reason that term started getting used because the cutting is identical genetically.

Clones are not any more prone to hermie than their donor plant. Femmed seeds are more prone because they basically come from hermied plants. (I'm sorry, s1, self-seeding, hermie, all the same). Grow only regular seed and the chances of a hermie plant are reduced almost to 0.

M

mellokitty

seen it happen time and time again, don't ask me why it happens, just that it does, but it does tend to happen more often when the babies are off a stressed mother (like one that's flowering).

mother's sisters = not hermie.
some of the mother's babies = hermie.

why? (this is the part where you start running into uncontrollable variables too, right?)
i don't know, but this is the shit you notice when you run a clone farm (this was years ago now) and deal with tens of thousands of them at a time.

those little girls do lots of things that can't be explained by empirical science yet. like how, when you grow 2 different strains in the same space for a few generations, the phenotypes begin to be more and more similar, even though you're dealing with all females and there's no possible crossbreeding going on. (and yes, i've heard LOTS of theories about this, but we're talking *empirical, right?)

M

mellokitty

as far as the red/purple leaf stalks, i've been watching for this since i first got the tip from an old hippy in '97, and i have yet to encounter a strain whose leaf stalks don't go purple with full maturity. the theory (as it was put to me) was thus: since leaves are like the plant's solar panels, and the process that happens is photosynthesis, it would follow that the stalks of leaves being actively used by the plant would be green with chlorophyll, but the more obsolete/superfluous leaves, not actively photosynthesizing, would appear less green, hence the purple/red (depending on the strain) colour.

the only times i've done canopy control in rooms with no purple at all, it was a Hash Plant cross that was getting cut down in 6 weeks to cater to the export (u.s.) market.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

what? I've grown many strains that don't red or purple unless your feeding wrong. since before 96.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

sorry miss read your post you were talking about leaf stems. I get you now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom