OK, which component needs to be replaced?

• Thread starter mysticepipedon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I have a 640W HLG DIY light fixture that I've been using for about 3 years. Today I saw that two or three times a minute, a brighter flash occurs. It doesn't effect all the LEDs, just a few.

Anyone know, based on this description, what I need to replace on this bastard? The power supply? An LED panel?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have a 640W HLG DIY light fixture that I've been using for about 3 years. Today I saw that two or three times a minute, a brighter flash occurs. It doesn't effect all the LEDs, just a few.

Anyone know, based on this description, what I need to replace on this bastard? The power supply? An LED panel?
I had that with a sf1000 but it would flash once every second...I contacted SF and they shipped me another driver, I had to cut and splice the new driver in.....3 wires different colored than the black white green I cut, they were blue, black, pink.......black was easy.....pink I guessed as white. leaving blue to be the green. I hooked it up and it turned on just fine, I went to move the light and got zapped off the fixture...just a buzz really but an oops moment....iI switched the blue and pink wires and it worked great ...no more zaps

freezeland2

freezeland2

I had that with a sf1000 but it would flash once every second...I contacted SF and they shipped me another driver, I had to cut and splice the new driver in.....3 wires different colored than the black white green I cut, they were blue, black, pink.......black was easy.....pink I guessed as white. leaving blue to be the green. I hooked it up and it turned on just fine, I went to move the light and got zapped off the fixture...just a buzz really but an oops moment....iI switched the blue and pink wires and it worked great ...no more zaps
You lucky brother

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've been known to dabble in electronics, but I'll need a little more to go on to help. By DIY - you mean you built it yourself?

Got a diagram or at least a pic of the working components?

I assume you have a Meanwell or similar driver, but how is it connected? Are there strips of LEDs in parallel or something like that?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I have a hlg that has a similar problem I found a loose connection to the driver easy fix for me hope it’s is the same
This sounds like the most likely thing to go wrong. Constant heat and cooling cycles are hard on little wires and their connections.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You lucky brother
I've had more electrical shocks than most, I worked in the electrical buiz for over 40 years. Got most of my zaps in the ship yards. A lot of welding shocks too. As an electrician we'd hold our boxes where we want them placed and a welder would tack it on where we want it, then we'd straighten it up and he'd tack it again. each time an electrical current goes through the box and if you're grounded at all you get the tag. elbows,knees, bad boots, holding you're self in place in awkward positions in cramped quarters getting grounded just happened.....

I also usually worked hot, too much time and trouble finding the correct breakers to shut everything down. I also didn't like shutting off 3-4 offices to replaces a ballast in the hospital I worked all 347volt. I changed hundreds of ballasts zapped 2-3 times twice on the same fixture...let me tell you 347 hurts the heart....Corridor lighting up in a metal valance box on a 6ft ladder. The first time I got knocked off and landed on my feet....no biggy...no one saw.....I shook it off ..I'm good to go...second one floored me ladder fell I fell hurt like fk I got up woozy nurses running towards me, tools on the ground, old folks in wheelchairs coming to assist......Big flash and bang, blew the breaker....Had to have a fking incident report......and a safety lecture by my bosses that knew dam well what I was doing all along....all for a Workman's Compensation show....2 weeks later I was back doing ballasts the same way. So I know a bit about getting tagged.

steamroller

steamroller

The flash is a driver issue IMO.
Could be as mentioned and just a connection or the driver.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I've had more electrical shocks than most, I worked in the electrical buiz for over 40 years. Got most of my zaps in the ship yards. A lot of welding shocks too. As an electrician we'd hold our boxes where we want them placed and a welder would tack it on where we want it, then we'd straighten it up and he'd tack it again. each time an electrical current goes through the box and if you're grounded at all you get the tag. elbows,knees, bad boots, holding you're self in place in awkward positions in cramped quarters getting grounded just happened.....

I also usually worked hot, too much time and trouble finding the correct breakers to shut everything down. I also didn't like shutting off 3-4 offices to replaces a ballast in the hospital I worked all 347volt. I changed hundreds of ballasts zapped 2-3 times twice on the same fixture...let me tell you 347 hurts the heart....Corridor lighting up in a metal valance box on a 6ft ladder. The first time I got knocked off and landed on my feet....no biggy...no one saw.....I shook it off ..I'm good to go...second one floored me ladder fell I fell hurt like fk I got up woozy nurses running towards me, tools on the ground, old folks in wheelchairs coming to assist......Big flash and bang, blew the breaker....Had to have a fking incident report......and a safety lecture by my bosses that knew dam well what I was doing all along....all for a Workman's Compensation show....2 weeks later I was back doing ballasts the same way. So I know a bit about getting tagged.
Explains a lot ! Lmao gettin zapped sux!!! - I thought about being a electrician till I figured out 440 3 phase scared the shit out of me!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Explains a lot ! Lmao gettin zapped sux!!! - I thought about being a electrician till I figured out 440 3 phase scared the shit out of me!
You guys are freaking me out.

I got locked on to a power panel when I was in my 20s and ripped the end of my finger off yanking myself off. Yeah not that way either.

Had internal and external stitches they felt so good.

Never working on a live box again unless it’s household small shit.

22F2C2FB 1088 41AE 990F 6E0B431E9F7F

It went to the bone. Healed up pretty good after a decade. Still no feeling in that fingertip.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I got locked on to a power panel when I was in my 20s and ripped the end of my finger off yanking myself off. Yeah not that way either.

View attachment 1296436

It went to the bone. Healed up pretty good after a decade. Still no feeling in that fingertip.
That’s why right there ! Course being a millwright/eng had its safety issues as well, worse I ever hurt myself was on a surface grinder wiping the chunk off and I just barely hit the wheel , grinders don’t cut they remove! Lol

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

View attachment 1296436

Just a note, I was told when I got into the trade that more people died at home than on the job from electrocutions. 120 / 240v can tie you to it where as higher voltages repel you...( not always) .........and we learn to take some precautions, .a lot of my tools over the years got fried on supposed dead circuits so I learned to work everything as if it was hot....safer that way ...........shokes you get used to them after a while like a sting in the eye from hot peppers.......its inevitable play with them long enough and you're going to get stung....

Moshmen

Moshmen

Just a note, I was told when I got into the trade that more people died at home than on the job from electrocutions. 120 / 240v can tie you to it where as higher voltages repel you...( not always) .........and we learn to take some precautions, .a lot of my tools over the years got fried on supposed dead circuits so I learned to work everything as if it was hot....safer that way ...........shokes you get used to them after a while like a sting in the eye from hot peppers.......its inevitable play with them long enough and you're going to get stung....
I seen a spark from a disconnect ignite atomized hydraulic fluid and burn a guy 1/2 to death worse thing I ever seen and I’ve seen some ugly accidents

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yikes. I didn't realize this thread lived on! How rude of me.

Yes, it was a DIY kit. It's 600W, not 640. To be exact, the driver is an Inventronics. I found the exact model at a site called future electroncs. I'll check the connection tonight and see if I need to buy another.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

...And it was a connection issue. I tightened up some wiring and like magic, it's been cured.

But if you're looking for a replacement driver Future Electronics seems to be the lowest cost deal around -- even with import fees, as this company is based in Ontario.

Moshmen

Moshmen

...And it was a connection issue. I tightened up some wiring and like magic, it's been cured.

But if you're looking for a replacement driver Future Electronics seems to be the lowest cost deal around -- even with import fees, as this company is based in Ontario.
Kool glad is was no expense fix !

Top Bottom