okay...spider mites

• Thread starter Noworries
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtrees

I started a thread about killing russet mites with co2 in the advanced section look it over, its not too encouraging, but spider mites might be easier, just be careful, its dangerous from what Ive heard and you may want to try 20k instead of 10k ppms

You dont need avid forbid or floramite unless you have a serious issue, you need a lot of safty gear for using these products. IPM techniques work against spider mite just fine.

I use pyretrins, azamax, sns217 (on occasion), ACT with caps foliars and they all work well with mites

heard a lot about mighty wash but ive never tried it

if you use a P bomb, 2 of them 3 days apart, in veg that will help get rid of them all from the entire room, than you can use other products as prevention measures. Its always good to get the plants out if you can and bleach/ h202 the entire room and then start prevention

also seamaiden is spot on about lowering temps and upping humidity, slows em down a lot.

T

TheIronLung317

get some mighty wash. It kills the mites like no other, then you will need to track down some 4% pyrethrum bombs and wha la, done, after a few treatments!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just read that Mighty Wash's active ingredient may be lavender oil. Lavender extract is used by a lot of organic cultivators to eradicate them.

I know my son's tried CO2, but I don't think he still does, and the mites are still a problem. Just a factor of living/growing in SoCal, it seems.
Its a corrisive and it burns the everlovin shit out of the little bastards, as it will you if you dont use proper protection. I think I diluted it at 40ml per gallon, but I smoke alot of weed so that might have been 40ml per litre. If the gallon doesnt do it, try the litre. Trust me it kicks their little asses.

To add you can use it to the day you harvest and even AFTER. If while your drying (god forbid) you encounter any problems of the fungal sort, SPRAY IT! Its totally safe.
You're not kidding about the PPG. I use a respirator and a Tyvek suit, and step into plastic grocery bags, tie them off to protect my shoes and feet. I also have chemical resistant gloves. That shit, when active, is NASTY.

That's why I so prefer JMS Stylet. But, if I experience mites again this year, I'll be sure to try the OxiDate. Thanks for that.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I'm glad you will! Its so nice to wake up to spidermite and go to bed knowing they're gone! oxiDate is the only overnight solution I've used aside from Avid. I cannot give pot sprayed with Avid to my patients or anyone else and feel like I did the right thing.

N

Noworries

do you need a license to order the oxidate?

I ordered some avid last night- I've read mixed stuff on it, but wouldnt it be okay if the plants that are in veg got sprayed with it?

I am going to get some bombs for the perimeter of outside my grow room and in the veg area- I went to lowes to see if they had any of that "ortho volck oil" read it kills eggs and mites both. They did not have it in the store.

spraying everything down again tonight when i get off work with neem oil. Like i said last night i saw a few red specks on leaves but couldnt find anything moving on any of my plants. I poked at them and lightly blew on them trying to get some movement but nothing budged.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Avid is a mite pesticide developed for ornamentals and Christmas trees. It is systemic which means that it works by lingering around inside the plant for a long time. It may be very affective; however it is not developed for use with any food crops. Furthermore, Avid has been known to cause illness in medical marijuana patients. It is known to adversely affect animals and fish according to the Manufacturers Warning Label. This pesticide is very dangerous to work with and be exposed to. No amount of flushing will remove this substance.
Scroll down to toxicity:
http://pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00010000896&DIST_NR=000100

N

Noworries

I feel lazy every time you post a response with all the links lol. Very good info, and thank you very much.

I'll use the avid for my exterior. My grow rooms are rooms in my garage, and I want it to be a pure death zone once you step out the door.

You mentioned a hazmat license, is it required to order the oxidate?

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

You mentioned a hazmat license, is it required to order the oxidate?
I think you just need a florists liscense. Maybe a nursery liscense. Get a friend to pick some up and give you the run down on its safe useage if its outside your means to order some. If you dont have any friends use Hydrogen Peroxide from a craft store, just as caustic in the right dilution. The goal is to burn them to death. There is plenty of info on the web about peroxide use. p.s. now that i think about it, whoever hooked you up with the avid should be able to hook you up with oxiDate.

C

critical

try plant vitality plus, i used it with great results, thoroughly coat the unders of all leafs n stem the whole plant n the top of the soil and go back a few hours later and u should have loads of dead mites hanging from there webs off the tips of everything were they try to run but kind hide n DIE! lol lil fuckers, sorry but they nearly ruined 1 of my beloved crops but that plant vitality saved it, i just used it for another 3 or 4 weeks on n off in combination with a neem product every 3days and a day inbetween i would soak with water just so there wasnt to much buildup of anythin from the products and also as u can actually drown the mights if u soak em enough and keep the humidity really high as there bodys cant handle all the extra moisture n they drown or explode from all the extra moisture iv heard, duno how true that second part was but my ragime worked to kill them fuckers off..

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

A spider mite's body is really really dry, they hurt plants by sitting in one place and absorbing the moisture from the leaf surfaces. So I don't know if high humidity would kill them, but it should certainly suppliment the moisture they are drawing in and lessen the damage on your plants. That being said, lowering the temp and raising humidity to kill mites only invite mold in my opinions and obviously only works in a controled indoor enviroment.

N

Noworries

I saw one crawling around when i got home from work today. I assume if I have one I have thousands. It's been 48 hours sense the neem oil/mite insecticide (from lowes) application.

Did another spray down of all plants with the same mixture. My lady bugs will be here thursday. I will probably continue my every 2 day spray until then

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Azamax every 5 days will stop there growth veg perferably and might wash works well in flower but only once, hit all the time with azamax and will stop.

Chobble

Chobble

Azamax will do the trick. I also love me some lady bugs, but everyone hates using them indoors. The Iso Alchohol Solutions are great too imo, Listen to Seamaiden.

Chobble

Cannasoir

Cannasoir

honestly, from experience, Mighty Wash was the only thing that worked for me and I had tried at least 3 other things. Best way to not get spider mites is to prevent them. before moving plants into the final growing room or before transplanting when they are still small, give them a dip in an insecticide. Also make sure your room is 100% completely clean. Make sure no pets enter the room and make sure you wear clean clothes and wash your hands before yo handle your plants.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

If you cannot get ahold of full strength oxidate then mighty wash is probably your best option right now.

Edit: How far into flower are you? If its been a week your plants must be pretty damn infested by now. It might just be best to cut your losses and harvest now if you have any weight on your plants. Clean your room up and start again.

N

Noworries

luckily the plants with signs of mites are a 4-5 days from chop. I saw a single strand web here and there- hosed everything down with cold water and set my dehumidifier to run non stop (my humidity stays around 35% so I hope i'll be okay)

I'll be releasing 18,000 lady bugs tomorrow, ordered 2.5g oxidate and i have some avid/floromite and doctor doom spider mite knock down.

I'm going to spray my plants in veg that have 2 months or better with avid and going to use the oxidate on my plants at week 4/8.

I will say, the crap i bought from lowes, which is neem oil and something else, claims its a mite killer. Claims it kills the eggs. It looks unlikely because i covered every square inch of every plant/pot when i first found them. It has reduced them however. I dont have any cobwebs in veg and i am not finding new vegetation that looks eaten. I have found a few crawling around here and there tho.

edit: I also turned my AC down to 67 in hopes to slow the reproducing.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just read that Mighty Wash's active ingredient may be lavender oil. Lavender extract is used by a lot of organic cultivators to eradicate them.

I know my son's tried CO2, but I don't think he still does, and the mites are still a problem. Just a factor of living/growing in SoCal, it seems.

You're not kidding about the PPG. I use a respirator and a Tyvek suit, and step into plastic grocery bags, tie them off to protect my shoes and feet. I also have chemical resistant gloves. That shit, when active, is NASTY.

That's why I so prefer JMS Stylet. But, if I experience mites again this year, I'll be sure to try the OxiDate. Thanks for that.
I'm glad you will! Its so nice to wake up to spidermite and go to bed knowing they're gone! oxiDate is the only overnight solution I've used aside from Avid. I cannot give pot sprayed with Avid to my patients or anyone else and feel like I did the right thing.
Well guess what! I didn't think I'd have the 'opportunity' to try the OxiDate on SMs, but I've been gifted by a friend who's been forced into dispersing his genetics by the Nevada Co BoS and their ordinance, and those that had been being cared for by another friend of his had become quite infested. So I came home last night with some ladies who are in need of a good follow-up to his treatment ASAP, I have some OxiDate on hand, as well as the JMS (which I usually also use as a sticker/spreader/adjuvant). I usually use them together when treating for PM, think it's a problem doing it that way for treating SMs? My finger's on the trigger!

B

barneyfife

where are you guys getting this oxidate? can anyone get it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom