Old Fart Jumping Into The Water

• Thread starter billybud 2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

billybud 2

hello--as indicated, I am a guy doing a bucket list thing-- for want of a better description. i'm living alone in my own house with a great closet and nothing better to do. I've ordered some budget auto seeds from spain (NL and purple kush) I have an OLD 250w hps ballast and fixture from long ago (long story). I won one of those 400w cob "like" populargrow led light on ebay. amazon had a deal on a ripped bag of fox farm soil. SO...here it goes. been reading--I like this forum. not trying to set the world on fire--horticulturally speaking. do you think i'm fine for 2-3 plants in basically 2x3 sq? thinking of adding another smallish led. for example==ebay has a 1 yr old mars 300w for $40.my plan is to just kick the hps on later--say after 3-4 weeks. just talking. another silly question---how important are pots? example: dollar tree has 2.5 gal plastic buckets that I can drill holes in. did I mention that i'm old...AND tight. anyways...thanks

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

The water is fine. Read on, research pays dividends.
Look for more modern lamp equipment, it is clear efficiency is important to you and the old stuff makes more heat that helpful light. And then ya gotta manage the heat.
You can learn much here. Read on... and welcome!

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

Looks like you have most of the ingredients to grow. They say more watts more flower, you just want to be careful of the heat generated to have a health environment. The 250 will cover your closet just find, but if you have the cobs or led panel I would personally go with that (less heat). The 2,5 gal buckets will be just fine. Make sure the holes you drill allow for good/quick drainage. With the smaller room/buckets I would recommend you keep the veg cycle limited to under 1 month ;). Root bound plants are harder to takecare.

Remember keep it light on the nutrients and the plant will tell you when she wants more, let the dirt dry out before watering, this will make the roots strengthen and stretch while taking up very important oxygen, & keep great air circulation. Once they get bigger stale air will suffocate and/or crate opportunities for high rH which means mold.

Do those things and post pictures with questions here and you'll grow some nice plants.

B

billybud 2

The water is fine. Read on, research pays dividends.
Look for more modern lamp equipment, it is clear efficiency is important to you and the old stuff makes more heat that helpful light. And then ya gotta manage the heat.
You can learn much here. Read on... and welcome!

thank you--yea the old Lithonia ballast is a big clunky thing and I may abandon it. just like what I hear about hps for flower. i'm using autos --out of laziness. maybe (the plan as of now) use it 4-5 hours at night the final month. prob better just to get another led.

B

billybud 2

Looks like you have most of the ingredients to grow. They say more watts more flower, you just want to be careful of the heat generated to have a health environment. The 250 will cover your closet just find, but if you have the cobs or led panel I would personally go with that (less heat). The 2,5 gal buckets will be just fine. Make sure the holes you drill allow for good/quick drainage. With the smaller room/buckets I would recommend you keep the veg cycle limited to under 1 month ;). Root bound plants are harder to takecare.

Remember keep it light on the nutrients and the plant will tell you when she wants more, let the dirt dry out before watering, this will make the roots strengthen and stretch while taking up very important oxygen, & keep great air circulation. Once they get bigger stale air will suffocate and/or crate opportunities for high rH which means mold.

Do those things and post pictures with questions here and you'll grow some nice plants.

thank you. bought auto strains. supposedly easier for dummies (speaking for myself only) my understanding--the NL auto can get pretty tall--so I propose to use long light 20-4hrs to keep growth lower. I may abandon the hps--if I get more led watts. YES -less is more. don't plan nutrients at all---maybe little bloom stuff --1/4 dose latter on. yea--I used to grow house plants--over watering is THE big sin. NOTE: I talk like I know what i'm doing, a bit. But I know it will be a learning thing--and I will note all advice. thanks again

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I take my queues from traditional farmers (like my uncle in Idaho) that use their natural resourcefulness and cunning to do awesome things with as little cash as possible. It really is the mark of a great farmer - the guys that throw money at their problems without having anticipated the possibility and having done something before... it becomes the fodder of my afternoon laughter at times.

Ya don't need all that. There are folks here that can help with tested ideas they share. Autos are great to get started and for a bunch of other reasons. Best of luck to you!

fatawa

fatawa

do you think i'm fine for 2-3 plants
i wudnt run anymore then 2 n that space,and like u read that n.l. can get tall on you..theres lots who r running the led's,cobs,whatever but hps is tried and true...i dnt use nothing else.had a cob dealer tell me once,"leds r the like gas saving yugo,cobs are a turbo charged cavalier,hid lights are the american muscle car..ha.good luck to u tho brother.

fatawa

fatawa

Lol.i kno think what u cud do with a real light...i get 800-900g of that every 10days n my field..

fatawa

fatawa

20170323 031928
Unless yur in europe n hav crazy electric bills...only way id use anything less..cause u get less....period.she still needs her 2nd cut..

fatawa

fatawa

My bad..lmao.hope he does well as well as all of us.peace.seems yur on right track tho old fart..regardless of light(we all kno my opinions,ha)def dnt over water or over nute n it shud b all gravy for u.

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

View attachment 682475 Unless yur in europe n hav crazy electric bills...only way id use anything less..cause u get less....period.she still needs her 2nd cut..

I am in Europe, and pay my electric bill. The electric company has what I call a growers plan. From 10pm till 12am is half price. Now you know my light cycles and when I do laundry :).

The MAIN problem with led is ppl think you'll get more with less. I'll tell everyone from my personal experience. "You get out what you put in". Photosynthesis is photosynthesis, there's no way around that. You can speed up the production and that's about it. Easiest way, add more watts. I'm running 320 diode pulling 652 watts from the wall with two 54 watt T5's full UV/B. It produces the type of flower I was looking for.

Old Fart,

Leds you'll get smaller, denser, & more crystal than hps with less heat. That's about it.

HiD you'll get the big buds from top to bottom, because of great light penetration, and at a fraction of the cost. My panels MSRP is $1,895.

IMG 4586
Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Yes. sorta. What you put in gets converted. Watts (electrical potential) are converted to photons ( mind you different wavelengths have different energies ) - there is a standard measure Mols / Watt.

@BarnaGoat - I note your lamp is rather sophisticated - a different class of lamp from a COB lamp IMHO. Your lamp uses narrow band devices from the appearance of it and a COB uses a phosphor for actual photon generation. Well made, with UV enhancement it is so best in class in my opinion. A COB phosphor can emit broadband PAR, very efficiently. This is why I consider them fundamentally different.

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

Yes. sorta. What you put in gets converted. Watts (electrical potential) are converted to photons ( mind you different wavelengths have different energies ) - there is a standard measure Mols / Watt.

@BarnaGoat - I note your lamp is rather sophisticated - a different class of lamp from a COB lamp IMHO. Your lamp uses narrow band devices from the appearance of it and a COB uses a phosphor for actual photon generation. Well made, with UV enhancement it is so best in class in my opinion. A COB phosphor can emit broadband PAR, very efficiently. This is why I consider them fundamentally different.

We can start another thread to discuss opinions. Yes it is a focused, full spectrum, 100% controllable.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I'd welcome a chat. I do find your lamp choice interesting - and would like to get impressions.

Top Bottom