Old house hot wiring

• Thread starter robz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

robz

I'm in a rental that was built in 1964 and I'm running 2400 watts of light on the same circuit. Tonight I unplugged my 400 watt. HPS that's in my veg tent and the prongs were hotter then hell! What should I do? I don't want an electrician coming in the house.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Go to school and become an electrician... Your wiring is hot because it's overloaded. That could cause a fire; step it down until you have the electric run properly. Either find an electrician you can trust, or tear down the grow, have it wired, and re-build. No real easy way around this, but if you have a fire in a rental house, your garden will suffer somewhat... The fire dept has no problems "de-pants-ing" you or the privacy of your home. Don't want to see your garden on the 6 o'clock news! Good luck- play it safe!

I

InvisibleM

What is the breaker rated at? You have 20 amps at least on the circuit. Not sure why the breaker didn't trip but if the prongs are hot you have a problem. The solution is easy, unplug one of your lights until you have another circuit to plug into...

FLB

FLB

If the house has not been updated with newer electrical there is a good chance you may need to rewire with 12-2 with a new panel, new breakers and potentially a bigger service if it is the old 100 amp style. You more than likely have a hot and a nuetral and no ground in your wiring. No bueno Resume with your 400 watter or risk burning the place down.

420OGFarmhand

Here's what to do before the Fire starts

If its the old pole to pole wiring your F'ed you can't add to
Sounds like your pulling to many amps.
Re wire it yourself go to home depot buy a book on do it yourself electrical. Run a new 25 or 30 amp pull through attic with Romex Its not that hard.
circuit to your setup using like 16 gauge wire your looking at like $250 in materials for a 50 ft. run

R

robz

If its the old pole to pole wiring your F'ed you can't add to
Sounds like your pulling to many amps.
Re wire it yourself go to home depot buy a book on do it yourself electrical. Run a new 25 or 30 amp pull through attic with Romex Its not that hard.
circuit to your setup using like 16 gauge wire your looking at like $250 in materials for a 50 ft. run

That sounds like a plan. It is a 20 amp circuit. It only tripped one time when I ran a vacuum on it with the lights on. Have no idea why it didn't trip from the heat. Can't I just try a bigger 30 amp circuit or something?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Can't I just try a bigger 30 amp circuit or something?

if you're asking a question like this, in this situation, you're in over your head.

listen to altitudefarmer.

the downside on this risk ain't pretty.

Papa

Billygoat

Billygoat

Can't I just try a bigger 30 amp circuit or something?

First, don't take this the wrong way.

YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THE MEMBERS HERE! You need to run a new line from the panel like others have said already. Have someone that knows what they are doing.

YOU ARE GOING TO BURN YOUR RENTAL HOUSE TO THE GROUND. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. Get your wiring updated, so you don't burn the place down and kill or hurt someone.

This is not a joke. You are overloading your breaker. Sometimes they don't trip and this is when the wire melts and causes a fire.

UPDATE IT NOW! Before something bad happens.
Take care,
BG

R

robz

Problem fixed. I picked up a box at my local grow shop that plugs into the clothes dryers 240 volt. Has all the fuses and outlets built into it. Enough outlets to run all lights and equipment. Thanks for all the help y'all!

D

doBpop

WHEW - sounds as though you lucked out on that one!

Rock on!​

S

SRHninja

So if i unplug my my ballast from the wall and the prongs r hot? im overloading? im in some what the same situation as you, although my breaker box outside has 4 30 amp fuses so i should be good to go right? their the old ones the round ones you screw in....

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
curious what ya bought (brand, price etc)

buddy of mine has an old house and none of it has grounded outlets

he wants to setup a small med grow - but has no budget for an electrician

there is a dryer outlet right near where he wants to build a room

R

robz

I actually got a custom built box from my local grow shop. It runs through the 240 volt from the panel. Dedicated circuit with built in timer and plenty of plugs.

D

doBpop

I actually got a custom built box from my local grow shop. It runs through the 240 volt from the panel. Dedicated circuit with built in timer and plenty of plugs.

Is it a pre-built product we can view/see/check out or did you actually DIY or what?​

C

CheebaMonkey

sorry to bump old thread but this got me worried and I don't know anything about electric. I'm only running a 400w hps but the plug feels a little warm. Not too warm to touch but noticeably warmer. Is this normal?

W

weedfarm

sorry to bump old thread but this got me worried and I don't know anything about electric. I'm only running a 400w hps but the plug feels a little warm. Not too warm to touch but noticeably warmer. Is this normal?

400w isnt much. if its a tad warm, you are probably fine

Is the cord in good shape? Is it a homemade plug where the connections may be weak? What else runs on that circuit?

C

cheech

anytime you are running lights that are plugged into wall outlets you are at risc. you don't know what size wire is behind the wall. even if it leaves the breaker at the correct gauge, it could change by the time it makes it to the outlet you are plugged in to.

you are at way higher risk if you are not using a controller that is hard wired to your breaker. very easy to do, read up. i know some ass hole that burned his rental down and killed 3 of his dogs because he said he didn't have the money for a controller a 240 volt breaker and the correct gauge wire. the fire department said that the wire was the incorrect gauge for the breaker. the landlord probably replaced a worn out breaker with a higher amperage breaker.

Top Bottom