Old noob in MN getting started

• Thread starter 23in23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
23in23

23in23

I'm an old noob looking to get stared home growing since my awesome State - MN - decided to be legal as of Aug 1 - yay! The problem is - I am in analysis paralysis! I can not decide which basic "way" to go... or, grow... lol! I also feel like I do not know enough to ask the right questions - so - I thought I could ask for some help here. I have been trying to help myself, learning feverishly and I have hacked out a very long winded "intro" that will show more details/plans. I'd like to post my manifesto here, but putting your ignorant-ass self "out there" is intimidating, for me, for one thing. Another thing? It's too freakin' long (877 words...) and incoherent? I need a mentor - maybe just a temporary one ! that I could ask to look at what I have, so far, to critque it with a detached view of making it post-able to this site. I mean, I think it's fairly explanitory, but, if I saw it - uncut length post shall we say - on some new member intro forum - my eyes would glaze over faster than a gak smoovee rip - lol! Let me know if you are willing to help and TIA! If there is a better forum, or another good forum for this, your suggestions are welcome!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I thought I could ask for some help here.
You'll surely find help here--maybe even too much help. There are many ways to grow, and people tend to advise according to their own preferred method.

In retrospect, one of my first important decisions was to decide what growing method was best for me. I eventually chose organic soil growing. It's a forgiving method. It also became clear to me that I needed to understand the plant's life cycle is important--so just watching the plants and learning from them became a goal for me. That can only be done by completing a few successful grows.

There are many things to buy for indoor growing, so I suggest beginning by asking questions, especially before buying equipment. Tent size and light specifications are a good place to start.

If there is a better forum, or another good forum for this, your suggestions are welcome!
There are other forums and some of them are quite good. Each tends to have its own unique character. I don't think we're allowed to mention them by name, but there's Google for that.

23in23

23in23

You'll surely find help here--maybe even too much help. There are many ways to grow, and people tend to advise according to their own preferred method.

In retrospect, one of my first important decisions was to decide what growing method was best for me. I eventually chose organic soil growing. It's a forgiving method. It also became clear to me that I needed to understand the plant's life cycle is important--so just watching the plants and learning from them became a goal for me. That can only be done by completing a few successful grows.

There are many things to buy for indoor growing, so I suggest beginning by asking questions, especially before buying equipment. Tent size and light specifications are a good place to start.

There are other forums and some of them are quite good. Each tends to have its own unique character. I don't think we're allowed to mention them by name, but there's Google for that.
Thanks for the reply & welcome! I have read your response & I hope to get to a point where people will read mine - and not just read my OP, but read my real intro - the long one - that goes to many of your fine points - thx again!

M

mjgrazi

Cheers from another MN grower! My current grow won't survive to see itself become legal sadly, but we're close!

The important things are to keep it simple, but also buy equipment you can grow into

• Grow tent: Assuming you're looking to get to 4veg/4flower eventually, here's one to grow into. I'd recommend a 3x3 or 4x4, whatever you can fit. Either will be able to become a veg tent with plenty of room for 4 plants
  • Lights: You can get stuck here for sure. My recommendation is to grab a 240w quantum board off aliexpress. I've got 3 of them now in 2 tents, and I've never had an issue. Great for growing anything in those tents and providing more light than the sun
  • Ventilation: Carbon filter, good to change every other grow or so. 4" ducting is fine, but at some point you'll wish you had gone 6". Any of the fans and filters you find are good
  • Growing medium: Here's the part where it'll vary. What's your gardening experience? I started off with DWC hydro, but that's definitely not a move for everyone. I grew a lot of other plants inside and out before planting my first cannabis seed. There's nothing wrong with grabbing some potting mix and fabric pots, and just going that route; you'll still get great results. It comes down to how much control you want and how much you're able to focus on details.
  • Nutrients: Another spot for analysis paralysis. If you're in the cities, it's worth taking a trip to Midwest Hydroponics. I'm guessing you'll hardly be the only one getting set up here, and those guys really know their stuff. There's so much marketing trash to sift through, and in many cases people are just pissing away money feeding the plants more than they can take in. Your choices will range from preparing a soil that has everything the plant will need and you just give it water, to daily feeding and a grow room looking like a mad scientist's lab
  • Seeds/clones: I have no idea what our situation will look like for buying seeds in MN, but they're definitely not hard to order online. Your major options will be auto or photo, and you'll find strong opinions for each. I personally grow autos, and run a 24/0 light cycle. Photos usually gain yield and strain options and add complexity. This one will also come down to personal preference.
This site's a great resource, and there are many others out there that are very helpful as well. I've lurked for awhile, but your post got me to actually sign up here. Cheers, good luck, and remember to keep it simple: there are so many variables to tweak and change, but get the process and lifecycle down first

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Thanks for the reply & welcome! I have read your response & I hope to get to a point where people will read mine - and not just read my OP, but read my real intro - the long one - that goes to many of your fine points - thx again!
Are you going to post your "real intro"?

If you think it's too long, perhaps you could split it into sections topically. I suggest starting at the beginning.

23in23

23in23

Cheers from another MN grower! My current grow won't survive to see itself become legal sadly, but we're close!

The important things are to keep it simple, but also buy equipment you can grow into

• Grow tent: Assuming you're looking to get to 4veg/4flower eventually, here's one to grow into. I'd recommend a 3x3 or 4x4, whatever you can fit. Either will be able to become a veg tent with plenty of room for 4 plants
  • Lights: You can get stuck here for sure. My recommendation is to grab a 240w quantum board off aliexpress. I've got 3 of them now in 2 tents, and I've never had an issue. Great for growing anything in those tents and providing more light than the sun
  • Ventilation: Carbon filter, good to change every other grow or so. 4" ducting is fine, but at some point you'll wish you had gone 6". Any of the fans and filters you find are good
  • Growing medium: Here's the part where it'll vary. What's your gardening experience? I started off with DWC hydro, but that's definitely not a move for everyone. I grew a lot of other plants inside and out before planting my first cannabis seed. There's nothing wrong with grabbing some potting mix and fabric pots, and just going that route; you'll still get great results. It comes down to how much control you want and how much you're able to focus on details.
  • Nutrients: Another spot for analysis paralysis. If you're in the cities, it's worth taking a trip to Midwest Hydroponics. I'm guessing you'll hardly be the only one getting set up here, and those guys really know their stuff. There's so much marketing trash to sift through, and in many cases people are just pissing away money feeding the plants more than they can take in. Your choices will range from preparing a soil that has everything the plant will need and you just give it water, to daily feeding and a grow room looking like a mad scientist's lab
  • Seeds/clones: I have no idea what our situation will look like for buying seeds in MN, but they're definitely not hard to order online. Your major options will be auto or photo, and you'll find strong opinions for each. I personally grow autos, and run a 24/0 light cycle. Photos usually gain yield and strain options and add complexity. This one will also come down to personal preference.
This site's a great resource, and there are many others out there that are very helpful as well. I've lurked for awhile, but your post got me to actually sign up here. Cheers, good luck, and remember to keep it simple: there are so many variables to tweak and change, but get the process and lifecycle down first
Thanks - it is really obvious you put a lot of effort in to your response, so, thanks for that. I suppose it is the nature of forums, But I feel like nobody has even really read my original intro post, let alone, the longer one I have ready and lurking that will show (hopefully...) what "work" I have done, where my plan currently is, etc.. It is detailed - so - I was and am worried that no one really wants to read anything that long, but, this keeps happening, so...??? I shall try being patient...LOL! I am 'warning' people I have a long read inro and was asking for someone to maybe look at it in advance as to make it effective... that train left a looonnngg time ago! but again - really - thank you!

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I'd just post it. Some people will be turned off by a long form piece. Some people will dig it. Let them sort themselves out. The stakes are wonderfully low.

23in23

23in23

I'd just post it. Some people will be turned off by a long form piece. Some people will dig it. Let them sort themselves out. The stakes are wonderfully low.
good point... lol... all I can do is try... just try...

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I hope to get to a point where people will read mine - and not just read my OP, but read my real intro - the long one - that goes to many of your fine points
Okay. It's hard to respond to long posts, though. Meanwhile... Have you started growing a crop? Do you have any specific issues?

23in23

23in23

Okay. It's hard to respond to long posts, though. Meanwhile... Have you started growing a crop? Do you have any specific issues?
Thanks again - You're right - it is a long post - with lots of questions - was hoping to plan my path out before doing much else - there are a few specific issues so I realize it is asking a lot, but, here I am - asking - who knows? someone may be interested in looking at my plan. Maybe the other poster is right - just throw it out there - guess I was planning too much to make my plan somewhat presentable ? thanks again - think I'll.... uh... plan some more - lol!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
K.I.S.S.
Soil, dirt, H.I.D. Mini A/C. Dehumidifier and tent or room.
Easy genetics to start out with and you’ll be 100% successful:)

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

who knows? someone may be interested in looking at my plan. Maybe the other poster is right - just throw it out there
Without seeing your plan, we can't comment about any of it, including whether it's too long. So, I agree. Let's see it.

guess I was planning too much
I'm not sure that's possible, but what I do know is that it's hard to plan without the experience that comes from growing. Even people who have grown for decades say they still learn something new with every crop. My experience has taught me that's true for me, as well.

was hoping to plan my path out before doing much else
Hopefully, the plants will agree with your plan.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I'm an old noob looking to get stared home growing since my awesome State - MN - decided to be legal as of Aug 1 - yay! The problem is - I am in analysis paralysis! I can not decide which basic "way" to go... or, grow... lol! I also feel like I do not know enough to ask the right questions - so - I thought I could ask for some help here. I have been trying to help myself, learning feverishly and I have hacked out a very long winded "intro" that will show more details/plans. I'd like to post my manifesto here, but putting your ignorant-ass self "out there" is intimidating, for me, for one thing. Another thing? It's too freakin' long (877 words...) and incoherent? I need a mentor - maybe just a temporary one ! that I could ask to look at what I have, so far, to critque it with a detached view of making it post-able to this site. I mean, I think it's fairly explanitory, but, if I saw it - uncut length post shall we say - on some new member intro forum - my eyes would glaze over faster than a gak smoovee rip - lol! Let me know if you are willing to help and TIA! If there is a better forum, or another good forum for this, your suggestions are welcome!
There are some great, experienced growers here, and many of them would be happy to help and support you....I'm sure they'll set you up with some good reading to do too.. ;)

But.......leave the comedy to me......I mean "Go" and "grow"? 🙂

But really, welcome . You'll do great, and have fun....

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
thanks - I agree - I will be

short enough? wow...
Take advantage of the free sunshine if your in USA!!
You’ll have a killer crop if you can get plants in the sun rite now:)

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Are you going to post your "real intro"?

If you think it's too long, perhaps you could split it into sections topically. I suggest starting at the beginning.
It's a manifesto. ;). 23 you certainly have enthusiasm. That's great. Growing should be fun. As long as you're willing to read and learn and try your best, you will do well.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
Welcome to the wonderful world of growing. Good luck to you on your adventure my friend.

Top Bottom