Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Of course Skunk #1 has branched off into different phenos/subspecies over the years. Cheese, RKS, Lemon Skunk, LSD, and Green Crack (both American and Canadian versions of it)... Feel free to add any if I'm forgetting them.

Island Sweet Skunk doesn't have any Skunk 1 in it (unless it's in the genetic makeup of Grapefruit), it's [(Sweet Pink Grapefruit x NL Haze) x White Widow]. There's also an Island Cheese strain that has no Skunk 1 in it, just because.

This year I'll be running Lemon Skunk crosses, Cheese crosses, and Stinky Skunks over the next few months. The Lemon Skunk drop has already started with [(Lemon Skunk x SSH) x (Super Lemon Haze x Moonshine Haze)] and [(Lemon Tree x Geist OG) x G13 Hazeplant]. More details to come in my grow thread.

In the fall, if I'm not completely sick of running Skunk genetics by then, I might check out some Green Crack crosses like JOTI's God's Green Crack or HSO's or whatever. I don't really get why Green Crack is its own thing and what differentiates it from the other Skunk phenos enough to justify its own drop.

I'm planning on growing out the ASS x Colombian later this year as part of the stinky Skunk run. Mr. Nice's Shit and G13 x Skunk will be growing right there with it, as will Copa's LSD x Ancient OG and a couple drops from The Nature Farm.
Had a romulan cut go through my area in 2008 that had a heavy skunk taste on my tongue

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

I too have been on this endless saga looking for the old school funk. The problem I always come across with this online is that everyone always argues about this and has conflicting opinions about it. Some say the funkiest smells came from sativa dominant plants while others say it was indica. I have purchased seed packs from many breeders and so far nothing I have popped is even close to what I remember. I bought the Skunk #1 from Authentic Genetics and ran half a pack, zesty smells and flavors for sure but not even close to what Im looking for. Im still gonna run the rest of them cuz I heard that you gotta hunt to find it so I haven't given up on AG yet. Also got AG NL#5 on deck to try. Im not as old as many of the other growers on here but I vividly remember the weed being the most dank when I first started smoking back in the early 2000s. Im pretty sure the stuff we were getting in California was piggy-backing off of the killer shit that was around in the 90s not too long before that.

Everyone is likely gonna argue this but here we go regardless... Im beginning to believe that the old school RKS wasn't just one strain it was a particular phenotype that would show itself in a handful of similar strains back in the day. What someone was smelling/smoking on the East Coast may not have been exactly the same as on the West Coast. There were likely many cuts floating around back then that were all similar but not exact. Anywhere from the 70s all the way through into the 90s this was the era when the weed was still really skunky. Im sure the cuts and seeds that people were growing were similar to each other it was probably some mix of Mexican/Afghan/Columbian. It likely had a sativa influence in it. But the super loud eye splitting funk was likely not something that showed up in every single seed Im beginning to think it was a rare phenotype that could show up in similar strains during this time period. This to me would answer the question as to why no one has found it yet. People are popping old bagseeds from decades ago and the germination rate is really low and out of a can of old beans they are only getting 3 or 4 to germinate. I think you gotta pop 1000 old school seeds to find the single hot RKS pheno and no one has found it yet. This is my theory anyways.

I personally have started focusing on heavy Ammonia strains. Im driving down to San Diego next week to spend cash on some old school 90s Catpiss cuts that are supposed to be ammonia for days. One person on here mentioned 90s Catpiss Skunk that is a hot one. The stinkiest bud that I personally have ever smelled was a Trainwreck Catpiss pheno that I stumbled upon in my very beginning years of growing. Maybe roughly 2005ish. I grew it from feminized blackmarket seeds. It was soooooo amazingly loud that it would stink up the car even though it was triple bagged. It had a super strong skunk smell mixed with undeniable Ammonia piss. It even had this pungent almost Black Pepper bite on your nose. It was rude. RUDE! I haven't smelled anything close since. The sharpness of the smell would almost sting your nostrils. Almost make your eyes water very foul smelling in comparison to the designer candy strains today. But my god it got us so FUCKING high! Heart pounding and zombied out high! Back glued to the wall at the party high! LOL 😂 Im gonna do some heirloom catpiss crosses coming up so we will see if I can rectify some ammonia funk out of these old school strains. Im down to trade beans with people too if anyone out there has real skunk please PM me I have spent lots of $ over the years to no avail thus far.

That "cat-piss" ammonia smell is where its at. Those old skunks reeked of it when you stuck your nose in the bag.
If the bag was in your car or pocket it smelled like a skunk, but up close straight cat piss.
I do not think these nu school smokers would even want it. Its not exotic enough for them.
Seriously, who would find NEON green golf balls appealing these days?

growsince79

growsince79

That "cat-piss" ammonia smell is where its at. Those old skunks reeked of it when you stuck your nose in the bag.
If the bag was in your car or pocket it smelled like a skunk, but up close straight cat piss.
I do not think these nu school smokers would even want it. Its not exotic enough for them.
Seriously, who would find NEON green golf balls appealing these days?
The stuff we got in the early eighties, smelled nothing like ammonia or piss. Our stuff smelled like a skunk far away, up close, and even after it was smoked. The only time we even bought that shit was when we were out of Hawaiian. The smell was skunk and nothing else. Potency was better than Colombian and Jamaican. Not as good as the outdoor grown Thai or Hawaiian.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I grew my last Colombian Gold plant last year from 1975 seed. It didn't like to clone or breed. Was the last of it's line and completely blew away the new fufu goober strains they go on and on about now days. Roll up a ZigZag standard white paper,, not a fufu joint, just a standard joint a can of Budweiser, some Pink Floyd kick back and see tracers and colors with a good head. Only topped her once and then let her go as if she was in the wild.
IMG 3470

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

The stuff we got in the early eighties, smelled nothing like ammonia or piss. Our stuff smelled like a skunk far away, up close, and even after it was smoked. The only time we even bought that shit was when we were out of Hawaiian. The smell was skunk and nothing else. Potency was better than Colombian and Jamaican. Not as good as the outdoor grown Thai or Hawaiian.
But this is exactly my point everyone keeps disputing what it smelled like. This is exactly why I now believe this was NOT a single strain going around. More likely there were many different versions floating around and depending on where you are from and the timeframe you may experience one slightly different. Some people say "it smelled exactly like skunk, no gas or ammonia just pure skunk". Then others say "It was super skunky but up close it had an ammonia burn". You see my point? Im not disputing anyone I believe everyone. Im sure the strain that you smelled was raw skunk. But what we were smelling in my neighborhood had an ammonia burn that was very sharp on the nose. Since there were decades of time and likely hundreds/thousands of miles between us then it is most likely we were smoking slightly different stuff.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

But this is exactly my point everyone keeps disputing what it smelled like. This is exactly why I now believe this was NOT a single strain going around. More likely there were many different versions floating around and depending on where you are from and the timeframe you may experience one slightly different. Some people say "it smelled exactly like skunk, no gas or ammonia just pure skunk". Then others say "It was super skunky but up close it had an ammonia burn". You see my point? Im not disputing anyone I believe everyone. Im sure the strain that you smelled was raw skunk. But what we were smelling in my neighborhood had an ammonia burn that was very sharp on the nose. Since there were decades of time and likely hundreds/thousands of miles between us then it is most likely we were smoking slightly different stuff.
Something I heard on the Adam Dunn show really resonated and kinda speaks to what you are saying here the episodes where they were trying to track down OG origins and the guy was talking about the underground facility and that they had different breeds for different parts of the country.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

"Skunk" became a slang term used to describe high grade weed. Like "Chronic" too, and others, that were themselves individual strains but became adopted as slang to describe high grade weed.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Something I heard on the Adam Dunn show really resonated and kinda speaks to what you are saying here the episodes where they were trying to track down OG origins and the guy was talking about the underground facility and that they had different breeds for different parts of the country.
Yes for sure. I live in Orange County and my area was kind of ground zero for the OG Kush phenomenon back in the day. The Kush was so good when I was in High-school that it was almost exclusively what you would find. It was like breathing oxygen it was literally everywhere and it was super dank. Not all Kush is created equal I distinctly remember slightly different cultivars. As time passed the quality diminished slightly there is still good Kush around but the bomb shit once again came in the earlier years.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Some of the historic strains had such a strong odor street dealers couldn't even move the stuff without getting busted in the day. A lot of that weed got processed into hash going back to WWI and before. When one smells the ammo olfactory mark its the olfactory system being over loaded. Just like decomposing animal or human remains. It becomes so over powering that the human olfactory system can not process it.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Some of the historic strains had such a strong odor street dealers couldn't even move the stuff without getting busted in the day. A lot of that weed got processed into hash going back to WWI and before. When one smells the ammo olfactory mark its the olfactory system being over loaded. Just like decomposing animal or human remains. It becomes so over powering that the human olfactory system can not process it.
Yes exactly I remember the real skunky loud shit would almost burn the nostrils. Like a sensory overload.

growsince79

growsince79

Agree, anything that smelled like skunk was called skunk. But none of what we got was ever as good as hawaiian.

growsince79

growsince79

I grew my last Colombian Gold plant last year from 1975 seed. It didn't like to clone or breed. Was the last of it's line and completely blew away the new fufu goober strains they go on and on about now days. Roll up a ZigZag standard white paper,, not a fufu joint, just a standard joint a can of Budweiser, some Pink Floyd kick back and see tracers and colors with a good head. Only topped her once and then let her go as if she was in the wild.
View attachment 1224117
That's awesome, I grew a 2020 Colombian seed last year that looked just like it. 100% sativa is still alive and well in Colombia today.

H

hawkman

Riot Seeds $500.00 a pack for Road Kill Skunk (regs) and then Cana Venture Seeds RKS - $76.62 for 11 seeds Good Luck & happy hunting also SWAMIE has some RKS hybrids (reg) at reasonable prices

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
That's awesome, I grew a 2020 Colombian seed last year that looked just like it. 100% sativa is still alive and well in Colombia today.
Funny how they get what 40-50 bucks a lid back then for that good Colombian red and now you could probably get Triple that at least for it and no one down there is growing it bring it back send it back up here like they used to ship man I be pumping those cultivars if I was in Columbia

growsince79

growsince79

Funny how they get what 40-50 bucks a lid back then for that good Colombian red and now you could probably get Triple that at least for it and no one down there is growing it bring it back send it back up here like they used to ship man I be pumping those cultivars if I was in Columbia
We used to get lbs for $400-$500; nowadays, around here you couldn't give it away.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Riot Seeds $500.00 a pack for Road Kill Skunk (regs) and then Cana Venture Seeds RKS - $76.62 for 11 seeds Good Luck & happy hunting also SWAMIE has some RKS hybrids (reg) at reasonable prices
Do you knw anyone thats ever grown Riot Seeds? Or anyone that has ever said anything good about them?
(I dont. Lol)

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Do you knw anyone thats ever grown Riot Seeds? Or anyone that has ever said anything good about them?
(I dont. Lol)
I heard he was kind of a shady guy. I don't know him personally but based upon what I heard others say about him kinda seems questionable. As far as his genetics people say its legit but who the fuck knows. Its been my experience that finding the red hot muy fuego in seed from is really tough. I would spend $500 on a cut if I knew 100% it was a badass. Im not paying that much for a pack of seeds.

Top Bottom