Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnBlazr

JohnBlazr

if i had the ability to replicate it 100s of times over , and there was a consumer base willing to pay top dollar for something highly scarce, you bet your ass i wouldnt just be bragging about my dank on the forums

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Is your cultivar gaining scent?
I remember you saying you finally got one.
Did you take clones?
Yeah I took clones. Its going OK I’ve been in flower now for only about 4 days. I’ve started to see twisting on the new growth on most of my plants in this run I think it’s a PH issue. My water is really hard here and I keep bringing down the PH but it still has a tendency to lean on the high side. I’ve started adding even more PH down to try to get it under 7 and into the lower 6s. One thing I have noticed over the last few years is that these dam vintage skunk strains are incredibly touchy they are so dam sensitive that if you even look at them wrong they will develop issues 🙄

Last edited:
SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Yeah I took clones. Its going OK I’ve been in flower now for only about 4 days. I’ve started to see twisting on the new growth on most of my plants in this run I think it’s a PH issue. My water is really hard here and I keep bringing down the PH but it still has a tendency to lean on the high side. I’ve started adding even more PH down to try to get it under 7 and into the lower 6s. One thing I have noticed over the last few years is that these dam vintage skunk strains are incredibly touchy they are so dam sensitive that if you even look at them wrong they will develop issues 🙄
What are you growing them in? Soil, Pro Mix etc or DWC?
if i had the ability to replicate it 100s of times over , and there was a consumer base willing to pay top dollar for something highly scarce, you bet your ass i wouldnt just be bragging about my dank on the forums
Be nice if there was money in it, but there's no market for it, just a handful of forum nerds, If there's no money to be made, these companies not gonna spend their time and space to hunt through all that old seed stock for shits and giggles, unless it turns out, esters and thiol are some new "cancer fighting" molecule, or is immune to HLVD.
I not bragging, just stating 1st hand info and trying to give people incentive to hunt down these old packs of seed and grow them out like the rest of us did to find what we got. Stop growing this new shit for awhile and go back to the roots of it all when only a few terps dominated giving you more of the intense psychedelic entourage effect. Too many tiny amounts of terps make the pot "bland" and missing something important in my book.
But hey, it's only time and money, but truth be told, most already have more seed than they could possibly grow and want more and more and will end up a "seed hoarder" like the rest of us. Old geezers are from a different era and are reluctant to turn lose of our stump stashes, especially to strangers on the internet. No offense intended.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter

Be nice if there was money in it, but there's no market for it, just a handful of forum nerds, If there's no money to be made, these companies not gonna spend their time and space to hunt through all that old seed stock for shits and giggles, unless it turns out, esters and thiol are some new "cancer fighting" molecule, or is immune to HLVD.
I not bragging, just stating 1st hand info and trying to give people incentive to hunt down these old packs of seed and grow them out like the rest of us did to find what we got. Stop growing this new shit for awhile and go back to the roots of it all when only a few terps dominated giving you more of the intense psychedelic entourage effect. Too many tiny amounts of terps make the pot "bland" and missing something important in my book.
But hey, it's only time and money, but truth be told, most already have more seed than they could possibly grow and want more and more and will end up a "seed hoarder" like the rest of us. Old geezers are from a different era and are reluctant to turn lose of our stump stashes, especially to strangers on the internet. No offense intended.
Well, im an old head, and I do like trading around, I have gotten a hold of some really rare stuff that way. I’m of the camp that it is worth it to trade with folks, they may not be face to face, but I can judge pretty well whether or not I should send my beans out.
I think if we have something truly special, we should share it, take the time, get to know someone and spread the love. I mean, I have legit big bud seeds from 86 I have given away……I just like knowing that somewhere out there, someone is enjoying it as much as I did. That’s just me though.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I’m growing them in soil. A potting blend mixture.

JohnBlazr

JohnBlazr

Its frustrating being a young guy and hearing everyone talk about the long lost dank, i want the dank, how can modern science not make the dank? i dont understand.

T

Theoldman

Never heard of it, so I had to look it up.
You mean Oregonia?
Nah, I'm not that guy.
Yea that’s the small mountain like village. Down from the Harley hill climbs next month.

I’m the old man. I agree with you! If you’re so interested in getting skunk number one seeds then look me up. I’ll send you 5 free seeds of the original.

T

Theoldman

You soundproof that you’re the only owner of the forgotten. I hate to think not and you live in Ohio and I also have visited 90 percent of Ohio personally.

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

You soundproof that you’re the only owner of the forgotten. I hate to think not and you live in Ohio and I also have visited 90 percent of Ohio personally.
I've never said I'm the only one. I am only one of the only ones by the way everyone talks in these forums. Evidently, people never saved those old genetics. Every day, someone asks if I'm giving them away. I wouldn't have any seed left if I give everyone that asks a bag of seed.
I just don't buy into the conspiracy that these seed don't exist anymore.
These seed companies have them, but they don't care, because they are growing genetics that the market wants, which is concentrate strains, not strains for the enjoyment of smoking.
It is slowly changing and a few seed makers are starting to hunt these older genetics because "they know."
You only have a handful of old guys that truly remember just how strong scented majority of weed was in the past. That's the main issue that's noticed right off the bat, something is wrong.
Where did all the smell go?
That is the very question I asked when I decided to come online and purchase new stuff around 2018.
So, in less than 20 years, the weed went from stinking to high heaven to sweetened cardboard and campfire smoke.
WTF happened?
Yes, there is killer weed out here today, but 90% is trash and 90% comes from the same ancestry. I was surprised and a little confused on what happened to the potent smelling, expanding in your lungs weed from the past. Then I found out what had happened, Almost everyone was using the same cuts and breeding them back and forth, either accidently or purposeful stack breeding Hermi prone genetics, Now it's the HLVD virus, nicely hidden in breeders seed stock. They been breeding and selling that shit to the unsuspecting grower and now he's been infecting his seed stock.
Now we have to test and watch our plants like a hawk so we don't end up with a bunch of herm seed, but hey, that's a good thing to some, and they just advertise them as such and such Cookies reversed fem seed or some shit and get rid of them to the suckers on IG or a weed forum.
So by 2020, not one person I talked with, had anything even resembling those potent smelling strains from the past. And now, it's 2023 and still, people are bitching because they're being misled by the names they put on weed, that doesn't even smell like what they're selling it as.
It's all about getting your money in the cannabis world today, whether its lighting, grow supplies or whatever. We are dealing with a bunch of "crooks" piggy backing names off the real breeders work.
It's very sad after a little over 20 years of growing in isolation to find out that practically no Skunk exists in todays weed world.
I am a nobody, always have been. I live in the land of prohibition and unable to grow these old skunks out until the laws change. I'm not one to go around and break the law by growing a bunch of plants, so I wait, and I wait, and wait some more, until there will be a time when I can grow these out freely and can actually create my own line of the Skunks. My hands are tied so it's complicated and people want to get upset and call me names and shit because I refuse to let my work out and eventually get in the hands of some crook only out for money.
I have gave seed away in another forum. About 200 or so. Only one guy even bothered to grow any of them. He did find one estered Skunk out of the 8 seed he planted. So me and him know the genetics are in there, I just want a chance to pheno hunt my shit before I start letting go of them.
What's wrong with that? (I think most understand why I am so reluctant.)
Or,
I'll take 30 grand for my whole collection.
That's a hell of a deal for a chance at finding a good representation from the past.
But, I'm sure there's plenty of Skunk around, because if it doesn't exist anymore, somebody would gamble and take a chance to find it for a measly 30,000.00.
Maybe I should have started out asking 50 grand.
There's Skunk in those old seed packs from Holland.
That's where all mine came from except for the one I got from a buddy in 99.
Crack open the safe and pull out some of that old "moldy money" you all are sitting on. Buy them and then you will have total control of the seed's destiny but as of right now, I'm the boss and have to make that "unpopular" decision to hold out a little longer.
If I wasn't faced with this prohib BS. I'd let them out to play with others a long time ago.
As far as trading, I really don't need anything. I have a decent collection of new and old strains.
I don't do much cloning. I mostly grow reg seed.
That's the ticket to finding these special cultivars.
And if you do find a estered up plant, For God sake, try to restrain yourself from breeding with newer genetics.
You'll thank me later.
Bottom line, I think it is more of a personal "coveting" issue within today's weed society.
People want what they can't have.

Last edited:
JohnBlazr

JohnBlazr

I've never said I'm the only one. I am only one of the only ones by the way everyone talks in these forums. Evidently, people never saved those old genetics. Every day, someone asks if I'm giving them away. I wouldn't have any seed left if I give everyone that asks a bag of seed.
These seed companies have them, but they don't care, because they are growing genetics that the market wants, which is concentrate strains, not strains for the enjoyment of smoking.
It is slowly changing and a few seed makers are starting to hunt these older genetics because "they know."
You only have a handful of old guys that truly remember just how strong scented majority of weed was in the past. That's the main issue that's noticed right off the bat, something is wrong.
That is the very question I asked when I decided to come online and purchase new stuff around 2018.
So, in less than 20 years, the weed went from stinking to high heaven to sweetened cardboard and campfire smoke.
WTF happened?
Yes, there is killer weed out here today, but 90% is trash and 90% comes from the same ancestry. I was surprised and a little confused on what happened to the potent smelling, expanding in your lungs weed from the past. Then I found out what had happened, Almost everyone was using the same cuts and breeding them back and forth, either accidently or purposeful stack breeding Hermi prone genetics, Now it's the HLVD virus, nicely hidden in breeders seed stock. They been breeding and selling that shit to the unsuspecting grower and now he's been infecting his seed stock.
Now we have to test and watch our plants like a hawk so we don't end up with a bunch of herm seed, but hey, that's a good thing to some, and they just advertise them as such and such Cookies reversed fem seed or some shit and get rid of them to the suckers on IG or a weed forum.
So by 2020, not one person I talked with, had anything even resembling those potent smelling strains from the past. And now, it's 2023 and still, people are bitching because they're being misled by the names they put on weed, that doesn't even smell like what they're selling it as.
It's all about getting your money in the cannabis world today, whether its lighting, grow supplies or whatever. We are dealing with a bunch of "crooks" piggy backing names off the real breeders work.
It's very sad after a little over 20 years of growing in isolation to find out that practically no Skunk exists in todays weed world.
I am a nobody, always have been. I live in the land of prohibition and unable to grow these old skunks out until the laws change. I'm not one to go around and break the law by growing a bunch of plants, so I wait, and I wait, and wait some more, until there will be a time when I can grow these out freely and can actually create my own line of the Skunks. My hands are tied so it's complicated and people want to get upset and call me names and shit because I refuse to let my work out and eventually get in the hands of some crook only out for money.
I have gave seed away in another forum. About 200 or so. Only one guy even bothered to grow any of them. He did find one estered Skunk out of the 8 seed he planted. So me and him know the genetics are in there, I just want a chance to pheno hunt my shit before I start letting go of them.
Or,
That's a hell of a deal for a chance at finding a good representation from the past.
But, I'm sure there's plenty of Skunk around, because if it doesn't exist anymore, somebody would gamble and take a chance to find it for a measly 30,000.00.
Crack open the safe and pull out some of that old "moldy money" you all are sitting on. Buy them and then you will have total control of the seed's destiny but as of right now, I'm the boss and have to make that "unpopular" decision to hold out a little longer.
If I wasn't faced with this prohib BS. I'd let them out to play with others a long time ago.
As far as trading, I really don't need anything. I have a decent collection of new and old strains.
And if you do find a estered up plant, For God sake, try to restrain yourself from breeding with newer genetics.
You'll thank me later.
👏👏👏👏

I get what you’re saying man, I just wanna smell the skunk, you know

But no one would pay 50k for a chance, better be the real deal Holyfield

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

WTF happened?
Or,
You'll thank me later.
Bottom line, I think it is more of a personal "coveting" issue within today's weed society.
Take your time. It's better that way because you can grow out more plants and pheno hunt for the perfect ester female specimen. Then you cross it with the stinkiest male you can find. After running multiple generations and back crossing to the original Ester female hopefully you can stabilize and isolate the true Ester in seed form. Thats the trickiest part about hunting for Ester its a recessive trait and you have to run so many god dam seeds just to find one single specimen. With the right work and time hopefully someone (possibly you) will finally stabilize it so that every seed in the pack will all have Ester traits. 👍

T

Theoldman

WTF happened?
Or,
You'll thank me later.
Wow. You had a lot to say. I agree with most about careless breeding. I took 20 years off from growing smoking and breeding. I just got back in it and luckily didn’t lose my touch. I picked up where I left off 20 years ago. I’m no youngster. Be nice to be young again. I got the strain and I sure know what I’m doing. Never cloned in my entire growing. Started with seeds ended with seeds every harvest. I’m not after your seeds. I have plenty of my own and I know what I have. Thanks

T

Theoldman

Wow. You had a lot to say. I agree with most about careless breeding. I took 20 years off from growing smoking and breeding. I just got back in it and luckily didn’t lose my touch. I picked up where I left off 20 years ago. I’m no youngster. Be nice to be young again. I got the strain and I sure know what I’m doing. Never cloned in my entire growing. Started with seeds ended with seeds every harvest. I’m not after your seeds. I have plenty of my own and I know what I have. Thanks
Should I take credit for this website blowing up with new pictures. I like to break the bar where I’m best usefull , whether machining , welding materials or growing excellent “skunk number one” . For one I don’t boast, I prove. Thanks for the attention even though I don’t care.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Should I take credit for this website blowing up with new pictures. I like to break the bar where I’m best usefull , whether machining , welding materials or growing excellent “skunk number one” . For one I don’t boast, I prove. Thanks for the attention even though I don’t care.
You flatter yourself quit well:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom