Old Timer W/ New Questions

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've been growing the same strain since the late 70s, which was supposedly Manatuska Thunder something or another, but I digress. Recently I was given several clones of Grandaddy Purple, Sour Diesel, and Durban Poison. I have these along with my original strain and the two look nothing like each other at all. My older strain, which I thought was mostly Indica, grows pretty straight forward with the main stem pinched. The others I was given are more like an Azelea shrub, with tons of growth but almost too much, since light has difficulty getting anywhere deeper than the outer perimeter. I know plants have evolved greatly over the years, but is this the new trend? I prefer the massive colas that I typically see, instead of the smaller buds which appear by the millions. I'm strictly old school with 2x 1000W MH, 5 gallons buckets, Promix and manure, and Peter's/Miracle grow as needed. I'm considering a HPS for flowering, but waiting on a Solis-Tek ballast to arrive.
A buddy of mine saw my old school plants and said he never saw anything like them before...have things changed this much since I last ventured out of the 'hollow?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

the worms have turned friend,way back hahahahah,i got a clone a bro sent,damn bushy as hell ,leaves eer damn were,i got 2 main stems laying on edge of bucket ,were the small shit inside can get light,no clue what it is,but a true 80 bitch,my plan is some bonsai in the middle to make a cat to match them long legs,hahahha that be awesome to pull off,ive grown lot of bluedream that was bushy i thought to i come cross this one,thinking gorilla glue or roy walker,bushy as hell,im like you them big colas,i got some fire ass mex that 4 plants gave me 22 oz,im planning on a cross with another sativa ,oh hell ya you been in that holler way to long hahahah

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

well hell I'd Like to see some Photo's of that Older Strain .. My guess is that the plants havent changed that much.. depends on Strain etc etc etc.. :-)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
well hell I'd Like to see some Photo's of that Older Strain .. My guess is that the plants havent changed that much.. depends on Strain etc etc etc.. :)

I had to divide the reply into two posts:

The plants haven't changed much as they were raised from both original seeds that I managed to get 1 or 2 to germinate, VS the same strain that were fortunate enough to provide a couple feminized seeds. So both the original and a few later generations look pretty similar. I think they were outdoor plants, although back then, the indoor process was just starting, using commercial repurposed equipment. They grow very tall, typically 9'+ if allowed to grow unchecked. I have to bend and twist it quite a bit to keep them manageable at all, unlike the newer clones I was given. The stems get hollow and not too woody, with lime green coloring and very wide leaves. Photos are hard to take due to crowding.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had to divide the reply into two posts:

I got my money's worth out of the equipment, though. I'm still using my original magnetic ballasts and a base up MS-1000 MH. Low tech, but like moonshining around the mountains here...it's more of an art than a product. Things, techniques, and strains sure have changed, but I prefer the old style of doing this...I'm sure there are a lot better operations out there but the old strains are more distinct and much less variations, IMHO. It keeps an old man off the streets, too!

Top Bottom