Old worm castings still good?

• Thread starter gomicao
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gomicao

gomicao

Hi all, I bought 2 lbs of worm castings in a little plastic bucket about a year and a half ago. I didn't use much as it was just a scoop here and there for compost teas. I just realized of course that due to the fact that the plastic lid snaps closed really well, that I may have ruined it for use now. It has been stored on a shelf in our garage for that whole time. Last summer got pretty damn hot, so I assume the garage was pretty darn warm during the summer months.

The thing is I just opened it for the first time in that year and a half and other than a thin top layer, the moisture has been maintained in it. I thought for sure it would have gone anaerobic on me, but it smells just fine, identical as far as I can tell to when I bought it new... If it had gone bad and bred anaerobic bacteria, wouldn't it smell horrible or like ammonia? Is it possible it is still fine given it smells ok, and I could still use it to brew some aerated compost tea, or would it be best to toss it in case it has some weird pathogen or harmful bacteria overtaking it despite no bad smells?

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Your eyes and nose will tell you. If it ain't funky, I would brew up a tea and see how that looks and smells. The thing I worry about with old organics is bugs, but you've had the container sealed the whole time. It's probably fine, may be even better now.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You might have killed off the microbes, but I would think it would be safe.

Top Bottom