Older leaves die, turn dry and crispy.

• Thread starter ulysees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

ulysees

I've been growing in hydro for some time. Had some very successful grows, some not so much.

I use RO water, until recently I used the FloraGrow series, this grow I switched to Advanced Nutrients for the PH balancing feature. I'm using LED grow lights kept the proper distance from the plants, 24 light cycle. I check my PH daily and keep it close to if not in the proper range: 5.5-6.5. I consistently get older leaves that look like below. The plants grow well and produce fairly well but consistently throughout the grow cycle the oldest leaves start to turn like this and get dry and crispy. Always older leaves, whether the plant is six inches or two feet. The tops and younger leaves look green and healthy. This always starts with bottom leaves and works up so I think that hints at a mobile nutrient but I've no idea what. Seems like I've tried everything. I've looked through dozens of troubleshooting charts without seeing anything that looks like this.

Anyone have any hints?

Older leaves die turn dry and crispy

Y

YBGTA

I get this when I use tap along with General Hydroponics (current first time growing myself in dwc) I thought older leafs was normal to wither away, I just prune those for better airflow and divert energy away from dying leaves.

B

Budtirement

You might try directing this question at your nutrient provider. I imagine they will have the answer or can tell you how to find it and be happy to gain your continued patronage.

M

monkey47

I've been growing in hydro for some time. Had some very successful grows, some not so much.

I use RO water, until recently I used the FloraGrow series, this grow I switched to Advanced Nutrients for the PH balancing feature. I'm using LED grow lights kept the proper distance from the plants, 24 light cycle. I check my PH daily and keep it close to if not in the proper range: 5.5-6.5. I consistently get older leaves that look like below. The plants grow well and produce fairly well but consistently throughout the grow cycle the oldest leaves start to turn like this and get dry and crispy. Always older leaves, whether the plant is six inches or two feet. The tops and younger leaves look green and healthy. This always starts with bottom leaves and works up so I think that hints at a mobile nutrient but I've no idea what. Seems like I've tried everything. I've looked through dozens of troubleshooting charts without seeing anything that looks like this.

Anyone have any hints?

View attachment 2132787
Its normal for a plant to start cannabilizing its older leaves when newer onces come that can more use the given light so if your EC value of your run of is goood and your plants look otherwise happy i would not be to bothered.

maybe post some pictures of the rest of your plant then we can see whats going on with the rest.

Take a look at my mother. I topped her of because she was cudling with the T5's to much because she was to hughe and I trimmed the cannopy completly away a couple of days ago because she is getting to big for the space i have for he. She is on 14 hours of light a day so she is going to need a bit of time to look happy again.

I"m showing it as an example that leaves that dont get enough light will start to frill away and it can make the plant loook verry unhealthy even tough she is in good condition and has a nice thick cannopy.

The small plant are a couple of clones I had left over last cloning cycle That i threw into a small pot so that I have a back up of my mother ready to go. The little plant is so far down from the lights in comparison to the shrewded leaves from the mother but for the plants mind they are still getting optimum coverage so no need to kill of the leaves even when they are getting less light then the leaves that are eating itsself.

20240330 163334

20240330 163343

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I've seen leaves die for many reasons, but I've never seen one look like that one does.

Top Bottom