Omg i almost die laughing when I go on reddit.

• Thread starter 2Bad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

That's true It wasn't a side by side and it was just one strain. I flushed first grow didnt the second and it was a clone and taste the same

I still dont pay any attention to vpd and have used hlg led for the last 5 yrs and have no issues. My humidity in the winter is always between 20-30%. To me vpd is similar to flushing = no benefits for me.
If I followed the vpd chart, my buds would mold. I don't want anything over 50%.

beluga

beluga

I'll jump on the non-VPD train. I don't think it's unnecessary, however. It's a tool to help you know more about what is happening.

I ran hydroponics for over 7 years without a pH meter. Was it reckless? Yep.
I still don't have a PPM meter. Is it ill-advised? Yep.

Knowing what is happening isn't necessary until it is. I've been fortunate to have not had the necessity. I've also never, to my knowledge, reached maximum optimization... because I don't know exactly what is happening.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If I followed the vpd chart, my buds would mold. I don't want anything over 50%.
I'm rarely under 50%...winter only It gets down to 20% and my plants don't do well, I add a ton of moisture to get the Rh up over 50% for my vegging stuff in the winter i go through 16 gallons a week of RO in my humidifiers alone....I've had mould but not since I've increased my air flow about 5 years ago & changed locations to a larger space with more air

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'll toss my hat in the ring too,these are ak 47's from seed circa 2000 under fluorescent with miracle grow 20-20-20 ,the best ones will be used to make more seeds when they graduate to HID with gh 3 part and sampled.
Perfect. Mine just started, so I'm a bit behind. Got any seedlings going so we can do a side by side race? And what is the goal here, yield? Hope not but I'll play if that what folks want. I'm running an IBL Durban Poison from regs. This was a few minutes ago.

This is gonna be fun. We should start a thread.

5F8EB641 0156 4DB5 95D8 1D792D68147A

42F6F631 E1F1 486E A249 1054F0E9FFBD

R

ritoMox

I'll toss my hat in the ring too,these are ak 47's from seed circa 2000 under fluorescent with miracle grow 20-20-20 ,the best ones will be used to make more seeds when they graduate to HID with gh 3 part and sampled.
Plants/stems looking nice and green under those fluorescents 👍

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thread! Thread! Thread!
Well since this isn't a serious thread to begin with, ok if we hijack to put a plan in place here @2Bad ?

I would say that this is open to everyone, I guess kinda like the 1 gal challenge, but I'm not 100% on what we are doing. What comparison are we making exactly? I know I brought it up, but I was thinking of seeing the difference in a VPD controlled setup and one that you don't even PH. See if all this technical shit is just that, shit. I'm game for that.

I'm totally open to suggestions.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Well since this isn't a serious thread to begin with, ok if we hijack to put a plan in place here @2Bad ?

I would say that this is open to everyone, I guess kinda like the 1 gal challenge, but I'm not 100% on what we are doing. What comparison are we making exactly? I know I brought it up, but I was thinking of seeing the difference in a VPD controlled setup and one that you don't even PH. See if all this technical shit is just that, shit. I'm game for that.

Okay I just popped a few I can get in on whatever

IMG 1351
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

VPD? I just try to keep them happy.....Too hot...cool it down....too dry ...add moisture....too wet...STOP FKING WATERING THEM.....oops...

beluga

beluga

...seeing the difference in a VPD controlled setup and one that you don't even PH..
I'll throw myself under the bus for the pH comment. No one should take that as an example to follow, it was more just to illustrate that monitors don't intrinsically make good conditions. But they obviously allow us to correct bad ones.

We know full and well you're asking for trouble not monitoring pH, let's see the case that can be made for VPD.

D

dean1963

c

could i get in with a couple purple kush autos on 12/12 while my photos are in flower?
i tried the strict VPD but gave up when i had flowering autos and vegging photos in the same room.
so i went for low humidity only.
i'm in living soil so PH isn't an issue for me.
if i'm comfortable in the room my girls are also, is what i was told on a video.
and hey, it was on the internet so it's true.
right

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

We know full and well you're asking for trouble not monitoring pH, let's see the case that can be made for VPD.
I'm good with that. I can set up a test that shows with data a VPD controlled environment, although this is experimental in that I am using significant other tech. Like O2 injection in the root zone. And fogponics. And other stuff. I totally want to play along, but my setup will not be a good comparison point against a standard grow. But I'll sure post all the data, and maybe I can help someone else with a more standard setup to maintain VPD if that is all we are testing.

What would be a good way to test this would be on the same genetics - clones - or we might not actually learn much conclusively. This is sounding harder to crowdsource.

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Perfect. Mine just started, so I'm a bit behind. Got any seedlings going so we can do a side by side race? And what is the goal here, yield? Hope not but I'll play if that what folks want. I'm running an IBL Durban Poison from regs. This was a few minutes ago.

View attachment 1282614

View attachment 1282615
No I havent right now, I have too many going as it is

View attachment 1282614

View attachment 1282615
I put a few in about a week ago they are under a single 2 foot floro bulb meant for over a stove or under a cupboard, but it will be hard to compare considering diff strains,diff lighting,diff nutes,diff wallets for equipment but it'll be fun everyone will try harder.

justgrowing

justgrowing

I'll jump on the non-VPD train. I don't think it's unnecessary, however. It's a tool to help you know more about what is happening.

I ran hydroponics for over 7 years without a pH meter. Was it reckless? Yep.
I still don't have a PPM meter. Is it ill-advised? Yep.

Knowing what is happening isn't necessary until it is. I've been fortunate to have not had the necessity. I've also never, to my knowledge, reached maximum optimization... because I don't know exactly what is happening.

You must have been happy with your yields, you've been growing for a while. Large or small grow? I just started my first 4x4 and I'm super obsessed with the VPD number. But like yourself, I know someone who's done incredibly well over the years (large scale, and into making concentrates) and he too seems to have thrown some caution to the wind. He takes what he does seriously, and he's lightheartedly let me know that from his experience there's a bigger and more variable sweet spot than a lot of people think who try to adhere to strict temp/humidity and VPD numbers. For him it's more of a "feel thing" after you develop the ability to form relationships with your plants.

beluga

beluga

You must have been happy with your yields, you've been growing for a while. Large or small grow? I just started my first 4x4 and I'm super obsessed with the VPD number. But like yourself, I know someone who's done incredibly well over the years (large scale, and into making concentrates) and he too seems to have thrown some caution to the wind. He takes what he does seriously, and he's lightheartedly let me know that from his experience there's a bigger and more variable sweet spot than a lot of people think who try to adhere to strict temp/humidity and VPD numbers. For him it's more of a "feel thing" after you develop the ability to form relationships with your plants.
Always smaller, low stakes personal grows. If I were to do anything bigger where failures burned a bigger hole in my pocket, rest assured I'd do everything to avoid those errors.

You hit it right on the money... your friend sounds like he shares my 'feel' methodology that took some time of anecdotal evidence-gathering and plant relationship-building to yield a satisfactory result... but it's like following an invisible path that you've remembered the sequence to instead of just utilizing tools to reveal the way. The path is always there, but only the reckless walk it without that revealing lens.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Always smaller, low stakes personal grows. If I were to do anything bigger where failures burned a bigger hole in my pocket, rest assured I'd do everything to avoid those errors.

You hit it right on the money... your friend sounds like he shares my 'feel' methodology that took some time of anecdotal evidence-gathering and plant relationship-building to yield a satisfactory result... but it's like following an invisible path that you've remembered the sequence to instead of just utilizing tools to reveal the way. The path is always there, but only the reckless walk it without that revealing lens.
I'm a 'feels" kind of guy also when it comes to growing. Parameters are great but there is an art to it in bonding with your crop. I guess I use a hybrid of feels with tech to corroborate.

I was consulting on a grow a teaching a newb and I told him there is a zen component to growing. He looked at me like I was some hippie from the 60's! 😄 About half way through the grow he told me he now understood what I meant by that. He said his girlfriend told him that ever since he started to grow he'd been way more chill. He also noticed that he was just all around more relaxed. He said, in the beginning, his girlfriend complained that he was spending hours in the grow chamber(attic grow) and what the hell was he doing up there but when she started to notice his more "bouyant" attitude she realized that, even though the goal was to grow medicine for his insomnia, the process was just as beneficial for him.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I think I’m becoming you. Farm and wire is all I got on my phone. Well except for that You know. Other stuff.
What's the wire? I looked around but couldn't find any connection between "wire and forum" in a Google search. I also use RIU. I don't use fb and I started on reddit but soon found the farm and RIU.

Latest posts

Top Bottom