omg my flowers are turning dark :(

• Thread starter mannitu68
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

I'm sure there is science behind it that someone else smarter than I can explain... But I have always learned to dry it slowly at a controlled rate with temp and RH... Using the stems as an indicator of how close you are to the target dryness.

Maybe your way is perfectly fine, but I know the object is not to dry it as fast as possible.

Maybe @N1ghtL1ght or @Moe.Red or @Aqua Man or @Ponky ... Or a slew of the other guys can explain the science.

EDIT: ... Or @GNick55 ... he's on scene already. :)

If you dry too fast it's cough city. Dry for too long you might get sponge buds. The sweet spot is 6 to 12 days for me. Slow and long keeps the resin drips from getting on your teeth and mug. Really depends how you like the resin to bite. Some people like the chlorophyll taste from a speed fry because they're used to it from growing up.
The long cure I think peaks about 5 to 6 weeks after it burns.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Never ever re moisten bud… thats how you get mold. Think of it this way. Water going into a plant can bring pathogens in with it and going out of the plant does not… this is why many fast dry around 70-75 with RH around 50%. To slightly dry the outside fast then the inside. Then drop temps and raise humidity so it pulling the moisture from the middle of the bud out
If the relative humidity in a jar of buds is down at around 50-55%, you can add a fresh leaf to bring it up into the range, and it works just fine. I've never gotten mold. I'm not suggesting anyone add water to a jar of buds.

I don't know the exact point of dryness where remoistening, as I've described, has no effect. I'm just guessing 50-55% hasn't killed off the organisms in question.

Ponky

Ponky

If you let your elbow sit around and it's bone dry and has no nose and it's like rolling sand you can blast the bag with a suit steamer and freshen it up for a couple days. You'll be able to roll it. And it will be less harsh to smoke. And it will burn better. I'd steam a sack if it was too dry anyway. Suit steamers save the day also if you need to vacuum pack your bags.

M

mannitu68

they already smell much better than they did yesterday. That biting chemical-smell is almost gone. And theyre losing weight faster now. I put on the timer so the exhaustfan of the tent goes 1h on/1h off. because the minimum fan speed is not really low.

by the way, the smell/taste in the vape isnt much different to me, not between different humidity-levels and not even between different strains. its just that, if it holds too much humidity, vaping is harder and it takes 1 or 2 extra pulls.

Last edited:
Slickrick82

Slickrick82

good day everybody,
i just opened my tent and did a close up inspection, every couple of days i pull the plants out to look at parts i usually cant see. Ive discovered that on one of my plants, theres a dark, deepbrown or black discolouration of the flowers/buds. Some segments are still green, some are dark. The smaller buds, deep inside, seem more affected than the good, thick buds on top. Ive experienced all kinds of leave-discolouration over the last weeks, but i thought its normal, im 9 1/2 weeks in flower now. What shall i do now? Harvest right now, before it affects the big buds? Does anybody know what this is? Humidity has always been under 60% in the last weeks. Its amnesia strain and ive read the flowering time is 10-12 weeks.
Just color dude no worries u did a good job u got bunch cramed in there make .Shure to dry them babies good happy Fourth

M

mannitu68

just wanted to add, eveything turned out good. It was 3 plants, but 75% of the goodies came from 1 plant. The humidity meter shows 59% right now in a full box, its like that for weeks now. Maybe a tiny note too dry, but still ok. It lost so much weight, i was like "man stop losing so much weight"...XD

Im gonna try the Biobizz-liquid organic route this time. I guess if that works out, its less stressful than mineral. Ill see. Ive got some big 5 gallon pots, airpots and fabricpots. Plus im using Great White this time. Curious too see the difference.

TrublsmScholar

TrublsmScholar

yeah i tried to look that up, but i couldnt find any Amnesia with this colour. Or the pics arent close enough. 1 thing i forget to mention, the leaves on the affected buds also have that black/blue/darkred discolouration. It began at the upper leaves, turned over to the very thin leaves around the buds and now the very small leaves "inside the buds" also are discoloured. That tells me it isnt budrot. Budrot just wouldnt made sense, ive strictly controlled humidity and airflow is on 100%.
Are you running any uv? Seems natural to me....

Kodesh

Kodesh

I'm sure there is science behind it that someone else smarter than I can explain... But I have always learned to dry it slowly at a controlled rate with temp and RH... Using the stems as an indicator of how close you are to the target dryness.

Maybe your way is perfectly fine, but I know the object is not to dry it as fast as possible.

Maybe @N1ghtL1ght or @Moe.Red or @Aqua Man or @Ponky ... Or a slew of the other guys can explain the science.

EDIT: ... Or @GNick55 ... he's on scene already. :)

I'll give it a shot :)

Cut/hang lets the plant dry/die before trimming, because plants release green leaf volatiles when damaged which is the cause of that hay/grass smell. Makes no difference if it dries in 3 days or 7 or w/e, just so long as it's not cut on while still alive. Since they're volatile plant esters/alcohols they dissipate with a proper cure, but since dry trimmed looks nicer and isn't too harsh to smoke uncured, just makes sense to do it that way.

Jdb89

Jdb89

good day everybody,
i just opened my tent and did a close up inspection, every couple of days i pull the plants out to look at parts i usually cant see. Ive discovered that on one of my plants, theres a dark, deepbrown or black discolouration of the flowers/buds. Some segments are still green, some are dark. The smaller buds, deep inside, seem more affected than the good, thick buds on top. Ive experienced all kinds of leave-discolouration over the last weeks, but i thought its normal, im 9 1/2 weeks in flower now. What shall i do now? Harvest right now, before it affects the big buds? Does anybody know what this is? Humidity has always been under 60% in the last weeks. Its amnesia strain and ive read the flowering time is 10-12 weeks.
Them top pics.. that's called foxtailing it can be good and it could be bad some strains naturally do it some don't and the ones that don't but end up doing it is from having lights too close to the plants....I'm pretty sure.

M

mannitu68

yes with Amnesia it seems to be normal...i should have let them ripen for a few days more. That was my first grow, i made a lot of mistakes. 4 weeks into flower it looked alreaday totally messed.(Smoke was good though, everybody loved it). Ive changed to 100% organic now and everything runs much smoother. These are pics, im 35 days into flower and on paper i should be half time now. No signs of deficiency.

DSCI2659
DSCI2661
Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

yes with Amnesia it seems to be normal...i should have let them ripen for a few days more. That was my first grow, i made a lot of mistakes. 4 weeks into flower it looked alreaday totally messed.(Smoke was good though, everybody loved it). Ive changed to 100% organic now and everything runs much smoother. These are pics, im 35 days into flower and on paper i should be half time now. No signs of deficiency.
Staking nicely mate..gonna b a good grow..

M

mannitu68

Could b to close to lights
they shot up higher than i expected in flower..now everything is very dense under the ceiling, most of the stems already are S-shaped from binding. Think its ok though, the light has a huge surface area and therefore no hotspots.

M

mannitu68

how long you think it will take until harvest? Im kind of in a hurry, its getting cold and im living with an open balcony door all the time...hm. The "inventor", if you wanna call it like that, said its got 67 days flowering time. On the seed sellers page they state 70-84 days. Right now its exactly 6 weeks. Thinking about shorteting to 11-13, i already slightly reduced lightcycle to 11,5 hours light, hoping to speed up things maybe 2 or 3 days.

looks pretty not-finished to me, honestly it looks less ready than last time, on my first grow after 6 weeks, allthough the plants grew way faster and have more light.

Unbenannt8

Unbenannt13

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
how long you think it will take until harvest? Im kind of in a hurry, its getting cold and im living with an open balcony door all the time...hm. The "inventor", if you wanna call it like that, said its got 67 days flowering time. On the seed sellers page they state 70-84 days. Right now its exactly 6 weeks. Thinking about shorteting to 11-13, i already slightly reduced lightcycle to 11,5 hours light, hoping to speed up things maybe 2 or 3 days.

looks pretty not-finished to me, honestly it looks less ready than last time, on my first grow after 6 weeks, allthough the plants grew way faster and have more light.

View attachment 1287418
View attachment 1287424
looks to be abit yet 2-3 weeks..

M

mannitu68

The reason they looked so fucked up in the 1st grow, was too much fertilzer/nutrient lockout. I can say that with pretty much confidence now. Some dosage recommendations from producers are totally nuts. Right now im only using 2ml of biobizz Bloom, i think its 6-2-3 or close to that. And 0.5ml of Top-max, which is only minerals.52 days into flower and no signs of deficiency.

M

mannitu68

is that even normal? Arent they supposed to fade and get yellow? I thought things go faster when changing to 11/13, only 11 hours light. Now it looks healthy but somehow slower progressing to me. My feet are really getting cold, i have to close that balcony door soon man. Could it be that organic takes longer than mineral in general?

DSCI27171

this is how they looked the grow before, after 7 weeks, very similar setup, only using mineral fertilzer:

Unbenannt

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
shortening hours doesn’t necessarily speed things up or help ripen trichomes, kinda the opposite, you want the trichomes to get the full 12 hours of light as long as possible.,
i’d only shorten hours with a long finishing sativa dominate strain and the shortening of hours would start week 9-10..
with indoors grows there really shouldn’t be any fading unless the plant is exposed to cooler temps or being feed with extreme ph levels, otherwise just a sign of deficiency or toxicity..

Top Bottom