ON NEVADA: Why waste time with marijuana offenses?

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

ON NEVADA: Why waste time with marijuana offenses?
Nevada law enforcement agencies can better use their resources

By RONALD FRASER
SPECIAL TO THE REVIEW-JOURNAL

Thousands of Nevada parents are hoping that the threat of arrest will steer their kids clear of a run-in with the law. A new report, however, shows that nationally marijuana use does not go down as marijuana possession arrests go up.

In a study funded by the Washington-based Marijuana Policy Project, Jon Gettman, adjunct assistant professor of criminal justice at Shenandoah University in Winchester, Va., concludes that, "Nationally, there is little apparent relationship between increasing marijuana arrests and the rates of use."

U.S. marijuana arrests jumped from 287,850 in 1991 to 872,720 in 2007. During the same period people reporting marijuana use within the past year also went up, from 19.2 million to 25.2 million.

Turning to Nevada, the study addresses marijuana use, the cost of arrests and the effectiveness of arrests as a drug use control strategy.

-- Marijuana use: Marijuana possession arrests made by state and local police in Nevada went up from 5,271 in 1999, to 7,201 in 2007 while, in the same period, past-month marijuana users also increased from 83,000 to 125,000. Persons ages 15-24 accounted for 51 percent of those charged with marijuana possession in 2007.

-- Enforcement costs: Gettman estimates that marijuana possession arrests in 2006 cost Nevada's taxpayers about $77 million, or about $11,500 per arrest. At this price, if marijuana possession arrests do not cut drug use, why do they continue to go up?

In part, tough-on-crime advocates use marijuana arrests as a back-door way to fill drug treatment programs. In 2007, Nevada's criminal justice system sent more than 1,145 persons to drug treatment programs -- often as an alternative to avoid more severe punishments. Drug treatment and education programs make sense, but not if the up-front arrest cost to round up customers tops $11,500 each.

-- Maturity outperforms arrests: Using arrests to coerce young people into treatment programs is questionable from yet another perspective. Statistics indicate that the vast majority of the young persons arrested for marijuana use will simply quit using the drug on their own -- without the threat of arrest -- as they mature, start careers, get married and take on other responsibilities.

In Nevada, in 2007, only 8 percent of the population aged 26 and older were annual marijuana users, whereas the percentages for users ages 12-17 and 18-25 were 14 percent and 25 percent respectively.

Regarding why so many young people use marijuana, the study finds that in spite of its illegal status, "Most teenagers say marijuana is fairly easy to obtain. One of the reasons marijuana remains easy for youths to obtain is the profit incentive created by the illegal market. Simply put, teenagers make money by selling marijuana to other youths, which increases the availability of marijuana among teens.

In this way, marijuana's illegality makes it more widely and readily available to teenagers."

It appears that arrests of young people for experimenting with marijuana as they pass through an exploration-filled stage of their life is largely pointless, and very costly.

Instead of arrests, the passage of time, at no cost to the state, is a more effective drug use control strategy.

What to do? The purpose of law enforcement is to keep us safe. Instead of spending millions of dollars each year arresting young people for possessing small amounts of marijuana, Nevada might use the freed-up money and manpower to work on unsolved violent crimes. In Nevada, only 68 percent of all murders, 21 percent of all rapes and 22 percent of all robberies result in an arrest. With so many serious crimes going unsolved, only inertia can explain why every day in Nevada, 19 more people are charged with possession of marijuana.

Ronald Fraser ([email protected]) writes on public policy issues for the DKT Liberty Project, a Washington-based civil liberties organization.

Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

Nah it's just that pot smoking teens are easy to round up. It can't be that any one of those cops, lawyers, judges, clerks, baliffs or anyone else involved might have an interest in keeping the rehab clinic busy. Just family and friends working there.
Nah, couldn't be that.

YJ

C

CoCannabis303

If you took the 5.5-8.5million dolors on average that each state spends on marijuana prosicutions (jail time, courte costs, police force etc...) save that and instead of spending bookoo money, tax marijuana at the same rate as alcohol or tobacco...and divide that number amongst the taxpayers, well hell you could probably make enugh cash flow to pay for a large chunk of this obama health care reform that certain people keep on pushing for... Could go to other places though... just got shoulder surgery through kaiser and it only cost me a $150 co-pay and like 20 dolors for perscriptions. I dont think obama care should be able to screw over certain healthcare orginizations just because the gov wants a slice of the healthcare pie... Lil off subject, but go free market politics!

B

billybadazz

how bout this for a thought put all these millions of wasted tax dollars that WE pay for these silly arrests and put a quarter of this into something thats actually has a purpose or does a service for the people.......like I dont know for starters education or anything except jailing somebody for a goddamn plant, afterall people it is "our" money maybe its time for them to give back instead of always stickin out there greasy little paws. what purpose does it serve to arrest someone, blow $11,500 tax payer money so when they get out anyway go smoke a joint and ponder why they were arrested for smoking a plant when theres a MILLION things on this earth we need to be worrying about other than weed!! weed ain't the problem peeps the system is so do your part and vote these hardliner pricks out of office.....I think it's called democracy and last time I checked I'm not the only one that loves my MJ!

R

Resinator

Many people still believe the myths of "Refer Madness", especially the older generation. People in law enforcement are not easy ones to change their minds on this matter either. Although I am hopeful that the american governemnt will do the right thing I am skeptical ... very skeptical considering their past history of hiding and distorting the truth. Nowadays the media is almost entirely controlled by "The Man", they can make people believe almost anything by manipulating the media. Luckily, they dont control the Internet or other governments and their universities.

I

ImptheGimp

tax it and stop firing teachers. Nevada has the worst schools in the nation and are doing nothing but budget cuts.

M

MJPassion

Dont tax it free the weed... Let everybody have it freely like vegies at the market.

Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

Ah but without the tax the government has no reason to ALLOW you to grow your own.

YJ

S

Smokesalot420

I hate Nevada laws...... they are the biggest hippocrits anywhere! Prostitution and gambling are ok, but you can't smoke if you want?

I lived in Las Vegas the last time they voted on legalization which lost by less then 5 points and I knew many smoker friends who did not vote.... The same people who complain about not being able to smoke did not exercise their right to be heard so they should not complain! My point is that next time there is a vote they need to make that a priority.

Sorry to rant but I was a casualty of the drug war here and am glad I moved to a much better state now!

420 on the rise

crime pays

law enforcment officals are just like any large buisness. i work for asplundh who sub contracts for american electric power. now the less trees we cut quaterly, the more our budget decreases, because obviously the ceo and executives that run this fortune 500 company dont like to waste money. but if we cut more than projected and go over our budget, then next year we get a higher budget to replace eqt more specialized eqt, and raises ( which we didnt recieve raises last yr anyways, but the ceo's and supervisors surly got there 100,000 $ plus bonus's to sit on there ass's and answer phones). back to ur question. crime pays , even the punk ass police need there budget money too so that police stations r not shutting down or forced into unemployment or early retirment. think about "war on drugs" its a joke. the goverment lets all these illeagle drugs into the country so that they can have jobs and fat bonuses , not counting the under the table multi million doller deals with the cartels for usefull information and free passes into our country. you see ur average pothead gets popped with lets say 15grams. now the cop gets recognition of doing his piss poor job, then you go to the jail where you spend 45-65 dollers a day for your three hots and a cot. then you get to go see the judge , who is also getting way overpaid to pass there bullshit judgement, and in the corner the really skinny girl typing all the bullshit is gettin paid to, then the prosocuters, and dont forget the worthless ass court appointed lawyer, and balif ....... all these people just got paid cause some greenhorn thought it was wise to take more weed than you can smoke, or swallow. so it all boils down to this , without all the BULLSHIT non-violent crimes they would have to shut down more prisons, jails and layoff more state workers. or the rest of the world could just catch up to california, weed is there #1 cash crop followed by grapes. california made mega millions on the taxation of weed, and it creates more jobs with medical, dental and 401k options. and my personal fav when it comes to the marihuana is the flower gives off enough oxygen to repair the damage we have enflicted to the ozone layer over the last 100 years. im going to stop writing now befor i really start to speak my mind. i originally started this post to ask a q myself. i am a medical marijuana patient in MI (hell yeah) i have set up one hell of a grow tent with two balist' 600 wat, 2 600 wat hps lights and two batwing hoods. so im finally set up and ready to grow the best quality herb possible. prob is everyone wants to sell clones , i want my own strains and have been searching for seeds to purchase but would like thc % to be high 20-30% thc. im unable to locate this quality of seeds (preferably sativas) so if anyone can help with my prob , i would really appreciate it. hope i answered ur question. by the way we just voted in kalamazoo county and passed a law that a possesion charge carries less weight than jaywalking, just a ticket these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom