on new grow after several with issues

• Thread starter Doodaa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Doodaa

Doodaa

Ok I am a fairly new grower not very scientific but have been struggling to get it right.
Here's what I have now a 12 site 8 gal,lighting for veg is a 8 bulb t-5 and a 1k mh(will be using 4k hps in flower).using RO and CS nutes with rapid start,calimagic and B-52 I mix nutes for 50gal as the system holds 90 gal.and use RS and b-52 at half strength and end up with 440 ppm,the plants all have roots in the water,they were put in uc 2/5. Not sure if i'm being paranoid because of previous expeiences but a couple plants have ends curling down,and new growth seems wierd,will try to upload pics.Today I took out 10 gals and brought PPm down to 390 and ph of 6.1.Should i start with lower ph ph?I have read some similar topics but get confused with TMI.Thanks for any help

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Running ro I would lower your ec to .4 - .5. Feed them only RO until you see your ec drop some. I like b52 a lot but one thing I noticed is you don't need it weekly, biweekly or as you see it fit. I start my week without it and as I see my ec drop I add it with more base nutes to bring my ec back up. With any additives I feel it better to start the week without them and add them after your girls start drinking their mix, at least till you know what your girls like. I also add b52 and most additives at half strength. How do your roots look (do you have a nice head started yet or just a few stringers) and how high and what temp is is your water? I start my ph in veg from 5.4 and let it raise to 6.1, then I lower again. I would lower a bit.

Doodaa

Doodaa

water temp is 67,I removed 25-30 gal and added back RO and uc roots now have an ec of .4 and ph 5.7,most of the plants are stringers 4 have good start

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Sounds much better. I think you'll see the pick up you want just wait a couple days before touching anything. Another thing is i start my girls in the UC with no chiller, water at 72 until I get a good pop of roots then I lower to 68, usually a week to 10 days. The warmer water seems to pop roots a bit faster and the threat of root issues that come with warmer water doesn't come in to play till the roots are swimming. Just my 2cents. Best wishes your way.

N

NWElite89

All4freedumb pretty much nailed it on the spot.

IMO, its better to start with a little weaker strength because its easier to add more nutrients later then it is take remove/take away. The under current is very efficient at delivering nutrients. My veg plants may be eating at 350ppm in individual DWC buckets, but when they transfer to the UC I run the system no higher than 250ppm for the first transition week. After that, you should be able to slowly add nutrients as needed. I peak at 400-450 ppm in veg and go no higher than 550 ppm in flower. Remember less is always more.

Tank333

Tank333

Sorry to derail this slightly, but do you guys use a top-up rez for your system? If so, do you use fresh water or nute solution water?

I just set up my first RDWC and I was curious what you guys do for that...

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I top feed with just RO. I used to feed hot but I made that switch over a year ago. I just add back a and b when my ppms drop about 200.

Tank333

Tank333

Mhmm... I should probably buy a ppm meter for this system, huh? With my Flo-n-gro, I just filled the rez and changed it once a week (making sure to check the PH daily)... I didn't have to worry about the water level being too low. It would flood all the plants even with only 20 gallons in the rez...

Doodaa

Doodaa

Ec staying at. 4 but Ph keeps going up a tenth each day.leaves still curling down tho

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Are the roots growing into the water yet? Ph going up is a good sign. In early veg your ppms will not drop. Your plants don't have enough roots to pull enough ec to make a drop. I usually don't need to top off till about the third week or so. The curling of your leaves could be a hydration issue. What's your humidity at? Also hit them with a foliar every few days and watch them pick up. I just use Jackmeoffers foliar program.

Doodaa

Doodaa

humidity is 47% gone up a little since I added another 1k light,they are using a little water probly about5 gal or so in 4 days, smaller ones have 5-6 roots in water larger ones more,I have some nitrozime gonna foliar them with,I think they are doing better just trying to stay on top of things been having some bad luck but hopefully it's past.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I would get a humidifier in there and get that humidity up to 60-70%, closer to 70 the better. Also when running humidifiers make sure to use ro for the water supply so you don't have calcium build up on everything after every run. You can also tease the root zone with a crown feeding of the water in your UC every other day until you get a set of roots in each module. If you do try to only hit them with a cup or so and hit each pot around its edges staying away from the stalk of the plant and the rockwool it's in.

Doodaa

Doodaa

a humidifier has been in my mind,guess i'm gonna go shopping for one,would the low humidity be cause for the curled leaves?

Alice D

Alice D

Yes low humidity will give you all sorts of problems. Check out Alice in Amberland thread in the grow diaries. About the 3rd or 4th post I've got a good write up on humidity. You should check it out but more importantly get a fogger get that humidity up near 70% as you can with lights on.

N

NWElite89

Most likely the leaf curl is from having low humidity. All4freedumb said it best above "60-70%, closer to 70 the better". mainlandmart.com is your friend and answer for humidity:). Pond foggers work great and conserve energy!

Doodaa

Doodaa

gave them a foliar with nitrozime this morning and noticed they liked it,working on getting a fogger in room

Doodaa

Doodaa

I checked out foggers and now I'm really confused there's alot of choices.Which one do I need for a 10x14x7 room?Don't want to get something to small or overkill.thanks

N

NWElite89

That is a good question. I have a model that pretty much looks the M005A with a float buoy and it works great for providing humidity( room dimensions 8x9x8). I position mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a wall fan above it, and it circulates the humidity in the room perfect. I might suggest a bigger unit such as the DK6-24 or maybe going to the DK12? Someone with a bigger room probably has a better answer to this. You may need to run two.

Doodaa

Doodaa

I ordered the m005 and float bouy,I got my room up to 55% with a 5 gal bucket and couple small air pumps bubbling the water and a fan on top and also a couple wet towels and increased co2 to 950.Did all that last night and girls are liking it.

Top Bottom