One of my pre-germinated seedlings had its shell fall off before planting...

• Thread starter Growth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Growth

One of my pre-germinated seedlings had its shell fall off before planting... It grew VERY fast in two days.

I used tweezers and gently placed in JUST deep enough so you see a TINY bit of green. Should I take the leaves out of the dirt or leave it slightly under the dirt like that?

Side question: How wet should the soil be during the germinating/seedling phase? How much water?

Second Side Question: Why the heck are MOST of my seeds dying using this method? I'm growing them in wet paper towerls with 1/6th peroxide. In two days they had inch long tails and I placed them in the medium, tail down, and gently covered it with just enough soil that it would be blocked by sun. I loosely sprinkle soil on top. They die most times...

K

Kamisama

U probably had it too long soaking or in towel. Didnt it end up lil bit yellow?

Dont water too much, just once and let it dry for 3+ days... Seed need also oxygen and with too much water, they ll drown. U can pre-soak soil slightly, so it dosnt drip water, when u squeeze it in hands. Use properly PHed water and carefull its not too strong... 0,8 EC max.
Next day water with PHed water with slight leak from bottom, then after 3+ days next time... Depends from temp... measure weight of dry and wet pot with medium.

1/6th is too low, if u use 3% peroxide. It ll drop PH a lot... I went with 1/20th, PH around 5.5 - 6.0
Saw research that with 1% peroxide it had good results too... Mix with water like diluting alcohol.
Inch tail is too long I think... U can plant like 0,5cm one already sideway, thats like 1/5th of inch.

Too much water, wrong PH of water or soil itself could cause those problems... or too much fertilizer, seed doesnt food in soil unless u grow in coco or hydro.

Have proper drainage of pots and mix soil with perlite!!

G

Growth

U probably had it too long soaking or in towel. Didnt it end up lil bit yellow?

Dont water too much, just once and let it dry for 3+ days... Seed need also oxygen and with too much water, they ll drown. U can pre-soak soil slightly, so it dosnt drip water, when u squeeze it in hands. Use properly PHed water and carefull its not too strong... 0,8 EC max.
Next day water with PHed water with slight leak from bottom, then after 3+ days next time... Depends from temp... measure weight of dry and wet pot with medium.

1/6th is too low, if u use 3% peroxide. It ll drop PH a lot... I went with 1/20th, PH around 5.5 - 6.0
Saw research that with 1% peroxide it had good results too... Mix with water like diluting alcohol.
Inch tail is too long I think... U can plant like 0,5cm one already sideway, thats like 1/5th of inch.

Too much water, wrong PH of water or soil itself could those your problems...

Have proper drainage of pots and mix soil with perlite!!
It dind't end up yellow, there was some brown at the end. It looks healthy I just don't know how deep to plant it.

So you think the leaves should be above dirt or slightly buried?

Also, thank you. I'll look at PH now.

K

Kamisama

It dind't end up yellow, there was some brown at the end. It looks healthy I just don't know how deep to plant it.

So you think the leaves should be above dirt or slightly buried?

Also, thank you. I'll look at PH now.
Leaves cant touch fertile soil, they could end up burned... Also when u water with nutes, carefull to not actually watering leaves. Also dont use nutes for at least 2 weeks, soil or peat already should have plenty of it, check the describtion.

Some pictures would help.

G

Growth

Leaves cant touch fertile soil, they could end up burned... Also when u water with nutes, carefull to not actually watering leaves. Also dont use nutes for at least 2 weeks, soil or peat already should have plenty of it, check the describtion.

Some pictures would help.
The PH of our water is 6.98 and our pots are 6.3 if our tools are accurate. I can't take pics atm but I was hoping to see them by now. They were germinated and when put under it's been 2 days and I see nothing coming up.

We've probably lost 85% of the seeds we've ever used and we've grown like 15 plants.

K

Kamisama

The PH of our water is 6.98 and our pots are 6.3 if our tools are accurate. I can't take pics atm but I was hoping to see them by now. They were germinated and when put under it's been 2 days and I see nothing coming up.

We've probably lost 85% of the seeds we've ever used and we've grown like 15 plants.
Train on hemp seeds. Theres like 1000 seeds for 2-3eur...
PH is crucial and 6.3 is high.
Measure flushed waters PH, ppm...
Try it in coco+perlite, it ll require watering everyday and using nutes with first watering but its easier, if u dont know how long peat needs to dry.
Or coco plugs.

I think u ve watered too much or medium was too hot, wrong PH... U dont even need light, while it didnt sprout.

Keep it simple first, make a journal and slowly add new things like myco, bacterias, silica, rooting stimulators, acids, which will end up at 0,8EC +/-. Correct PH is alpha and omega and not drowning seeds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom