One plant has the funk

• Thread starter JeffLebowski
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

One plant has the funk

One out of five. The others have no sign of this and are all uniformly green. Toss it?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Looks like a combination of over watering, Ca deficiency and there might have been a high dose of N in it's recent past.

Transplanting will work wonders, as will a greater source of Ca, if the soil already has lime in it.

That soil has a wet look about it, and not much in the way of perlite.

JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

I watered them right before this pic. I used generic potting soil and all 5 plants have had identical conditions. I'll repot them soon and use some diff soil. Thanks.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Clones or seeds? If clone maybe it caught something during the cloning process when the wound was fresh

PhenotypeGuy.80

PhenotypeGuy.80

I watered them right before this pic. I used generic potting soil and all 5 plants have had identical conditions. I'll repot them soon and use some diff soil. Thanks.
Are you using any perlite or clay hydrotons to aerate your growing medium buddy? It looks a lot like root rot or botrytis from excessive moisture in your medium, I’d let that girl dry out and let her roots breathe for 3-5 days and then water again with a lower PH of 5.5 -5.8 and a low NPK solution with a few extra ml of Calmag to help the roots uptake the nitrogen and micro nutes it needs.

JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

I just grabbed some potting soil that I had on hand. You're correct, it sucks. The other four look GREAT, so all is not lost. I wanted to wait just a bit to re-pot to ensure they were sturdy enough, but this may hasten that move. I think they'll be OK. Heck, I jam smaller tomatoes directly into the ground.

I'll get a better medium and re-pot. No danger in keeping this funky plant then, and none it keeping it with the others. Is that correct? First grow, so type slowly.

Hahhaha

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You should repot and not worry about how sturdy they are.

Over watering is likely your big issue. Cannabis doesn't like wet soil and those kinds of cups have a tendency to hold a lot of water, even if you pop a few holes in the bottom. Soil has to hold air as well as water.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
You should repot and not worry about how sturdy they are.

Over watering is likely your big issue. Cannabis doesn't like wet soil and those kinds of cups have a tendency to hold a lot of water, even if you pop a few holes in the bottom. Soil has to hold air as well as water.
+1 on that, suffocated her.. make sure new pots have holes, on the lower sides is good too.
it’s better to fault on being dry than being wet all the time, get used to the weight of the pot by picking it up, any pot that will need watering will feel very very light.. get used to it..

JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

I repotted them and saw great results within a few days. The plants look a ton better. But now I have a new funk.
They were stunted at first due to my stupidity and ignorance. They made a nice comeback but will likely be small with predictable yeild.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I repotted them and saw great results within a few days. The plants look a ton better. But now I have a new funk.
They were stunted at first due to my stupidity and ignorance. They made a nice comeback but will likely be small with predictable yeild.

View attachment 1092525
pots are too small to begin with, now you have entered the solo cup challenge!

JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

pots are too small to begin with, now you have entered the solo cup challenge!

Yep. I agree. Their first few weeks were too cold and the soil too wet. Additionally, I don't own high capacity lights. As a result, they didn't get much size. Plus, they were in crap soil. First timer, you see. So, I dicked all of that up.

And now their root systems don't appear nearly developed enough to transplant them. Plus, they have entered the flowering stage. I think they're about 6 weeks old. I'll happily re-pot if you think they'll benefit from it.

mancorn

mancorn

If your roots are underdeveloped you can still easily transplant out of cups. Start a small cut on each side and tear up the sides (snip the lip) and cut across the bottom.

E5C6D442 419B 427B BE02 B724399BF76D

Take the discarded half and cut off the bottom.

D5759E5D 98F4 4CD7 92F3 034819AD8535

Place your two half’s back together.

BB4B6C11 FC21 4CE6 8D7A 916ECD902C76

Flip it over and then take off the other half. You’ll now have your plant in half a cup with no bottom.

83AA16DD 0865 4FD5 A2AC 66B2B26BECF3

Now slide your cup into your new pot.

F524DF38 9691 454F ABDD 7259C8928FED

Backfill and then slide out the solo cup.

A55F72DE 6B2F 453A B0E4 E53D33E91C75

5DEB736F BA40 4F4A 8068 397C050B77E7

3C2DA560 601D 4594 80F6 94F830071FEA

Last edited:
JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

So, even though they're out of Veg stage and onto flowering, they'll still benefit from repotting? Happy to do that.

mancorn

mancorn

Yes, simply because the cups are so small that it’s super hard to control. Kind of like keeping a goldfish is a glass vs large tank. The fish will live in the cup, but your water will need to be changed all the time, it will get super hot one day, cold the next, and you’ll have a dead fish. If your plants are in larger pots you’ll have more wiggle room to make mistakes.

JeffLebowski

JeffLebowski

I cut several slots in the bottom of each cup. They're all in a big tray so if any water accumulates after watering it's gone within 30 mins or so.

I hesitate to toss it for 3 reasons -

1. Since all my plants are small from earlier fuckups (all mine) I hate to toss it. Poor bastard.
2. It's covered with buds! ;)
3. I am filled with a misplaced sense of optimism.
4. She smells good.
5. It's covered with buds! ;)
6. I'm just that lazy.
7. Talking Heads are on right now and I can't bring myself to leave the room.

Rkf

Rkf

I cut several slots in the bottom of each cup. They're all in a big tray so if any water accumulates after watering it's gone within 30 mins or so.

I hesitate to toss it for 3 reasons -

1. Since all my plants are small from earlier fuckups (all mine) I hate to toss it. Poor bastard.
2. It's covered with buds! ;)
3. I am filled with a misplaced sense of optimism.
4. She smells good.
5. It's covered with buds! ;)
6. I'm just that lazy.
7. Talking Heads are on right now and I can't bring myself to leave the room.
Respectful. Give her love and special attention and she will come back. Post some more pics but for me a good earth worm tea usually solves most difencies and ph imbalances.
Ive sadley gotten a custom to throwing out the week ones but large scale we have no other choice. There will always be some lemons.

Top Bottom