one seed on female plant...wtf?

• Thread starter aeviaanah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

aeviaanah

i just found one seed on my scrog plant. one seed only. can anyone explain what may have caused this and why this happens?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
why did you post this here? what strain is it? could be alot of reason why it happen. was it deep in the bud or was it on the outside? If it was deep in the bud maybe a male release pollen when it barley had pistils so u only got one seed. or a plant u had hermied. if it was on the outside chances are your plant hermied due to stress of some sort and dropped some pollen.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
being one seed i think your plant hermied. did you have any other plants going at the time or just the one? being one seed an not many i think its from a nanner

A

aeviaanah

there are three plants going along with this one. i think it may be stress too, had to get rid of the mites, used a harsh solution. worked tho. thanks

Socius

Socius

I had this happen to me once, I later found out that a newbie grower lived a few doors down.
He had grown some Mexican seeds and didn't kill the males.

reeldrag

reeldrag

both answers are good bets I as well had a guy down the street who wanted to make seeds put out a bunch of bag seed and I ended up with a few seeds in my stuff took about 6 months before I figured it out what was wild was he was like 1/4 mile away so anything is pos and it could be stress as stated both very likely dont sweat it over one seed

sky_blue

sky_blue

From what I've read in a lot of forums, most strains will show some type of hermaphroditic action if they are grown long enough in the flowering stage.
I think it's not unusual or too worrisome. Now you have a feminized seed.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Would a very small light leak do it?
for sure, tent zippers are notorious for it. especially if your variety's genes have some recessive maleness tucked away (common).

it's a spectrum of sorts, getting out of my breadth here but thinking most of our girls actually aren't purely fem. also, correct term is intersex not hermaphrodite, and refers to diversity of genotype beyond simple male/female designations (same for animals too).

another_sellout

another_sellout

Did you find a single male flower? One nasty little banana sack anywhere? At all? I think it's just good old rogue pollen. Maybe you live in a ditch weed state. Maybe your neighbor has some balls on one of their plants they don't know about. But if there aren't any boy parts on your girl, it wasn't her. Period. Pop that seed and let us know how it goes. Remember, some of the best flavors in the world were just bag seed once...

Chobble

Chobble

I've had the one phantom seed before. Never found a male flower on the plant and generally one flower will pump out more pollen then just one seed. I think its a phenomina that botanists should look into, but really doesnt matter. I've grown said one seed I stumbled across and it turned out to be a great female and I never stumbled across that one seed in the 2nd generation.

for sure, tent zippers are notorious for it. especially if your variety's genes have some recessive maleness tucked away (common).

it's a spectrum of sorts, getting out of my breadth here but thinking most of our girls actually aren't purely fem. also, correct term is intersex not hermaphrodite, and refers to diversity of genotype beyond simple male/female designations (same for animals too).

My notes are coming out, because this isn't true. Intersex is another way of saying hermaphrodite. The word your looking for is diecious, meaning the plant produces both male and female flowers. We want our drug cannabis plants to be monoecious though to encourage sensimilla. Now hemp growers in poland, want diecious plants, as required by law and to produce edible seeds.

Chobble

reeldrag

reeldrag

From what I've read in a lot of forums, most strains will show some type of hermaphroditic action if they are grown long enough in the flowering stage.
I think it's not unusual or too worrisome. Now you have a feminized seed.
Sky you r 100 percent correct great way to get seeds with out having to cross a stain and by doing this u r not breeding in herming cuz its already in plants dna if it goes long enough in flower to reproduce by itsself but chobble is correct we try to shoot for plants that wont herm eaisly so with that beening said it is a fine line between the two.

Chobble

Chobble

Sky you r 100 percent correct great way to get seeds with out having to cross a stain and by doing this u r not breeding in herming cuz its already in plants dna if it goes long enough in flower to reproduce by itsself but chobble is correct we try to shoot for plants that wont herm eaisly so with that beening said it is a fine line between the two.

You don't actually want the hermaphroditation to happen on the plant your getting the seeds from, you want it to come from an identical cutting that has been forced to produce male flowers. Atleast thats how you want to do it when making feminized seeds, which is what I think your saying?

When producing feminized seeds the last thing you want is a plant that will hermie easily, as there will be a lot of nanners in your garden when you sprout those beans.

Chobble

Latest posts

Top Bottom