ongoing biweekly cloning attempts and failures

• Thread starter PickleRick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PickleRick

PickleRick

3 years growing experience, had success in first year, now in a 2 year rut.

I had another post for my previous 2 attempts in March here...

Yesterday was Day 14, I saw 2 cuts had roots and they were very small single thin strand and not that healthy-looking - and a day later one actually fell off so Im down to 1. All of the cuttings aren't slimy or rotten, just no roots, and wilting now with the dome removed for 24 Hours after D14...
www.invalid.com

Figured I would make an official thread, seeing as it will take many attempts.

I have Turboklone24 that I just got, but low and behold first 2 runs with no sucess, I will also be doing 2 trays of rockwool side by side continuously.

The purpose of this thread, is to get advice, then follow advice, then fail, then show you the results of your advice and ask why?
Every attempt I will switch up 1-2 things in the environment until success is achieved.

I will start a new turboklone run in 1 week and will post it here. Did 2 trays of rockwool cubes yesterday, here they are on D1.

TEMPS

heat mat set 78F, the heating range is 76-80. Probe is inserted in a cube inside the dome

HUMIDITY

both vents are completely open. I am seeing 80-90RH.

GRODAN CUBES

soaked over night in 5.7PH Tap water. Put in salad spinner to reduce water content to 50% of water capacity. I used a scale to weigh it dry, then completely soaked and weighed it, then subtracted to figure out what was 50%. I also am experimenting with different grodans, I have 3 variations, the 1.5", the 1", and a 1" split in half.

MOMS/CLONES

10 different strains being cloned, 2-4 cuttings each. So its not a matter of oh this genetics takes maybe longer or is harder etc.

LIGHTS

17W 4FT LED TUBE, 4K, @ 18/6, 12" DISTANCE = 5K LUMENS

20200327_093145.jpg
20200327_093211.jpg
20200327_093223.jpg

Dan789

Dan789

@PickleRick, the one thing that pops out to me, is that I’ve always just taped the sensor right to the mat, and controlled temp that way. Don’t know if it’s anything but possibly check the calibration of the sensor? You might be cooking them...
I don’t have any success with the grodan cubes and moved onto root riot’s, what I like is I can see the color change when they need more moisture.

ru knuts

ru knuts

@PickleRick, the one thing that pops out to me, is that I’ve always just taped the sensor right to the mat, and controlled temp that way. Don’t know if it’s anything but possibly check the calibration of the sensor? You might be cooking them...
I don’t have any success with the grodan cubes and moved onto root riot’s, what I like is I can see the color change when they need more moisture.
Taped heat sensor to mat✓
Root riot cubes✓
Cut clone stem 45 degree angle
Dip stem in clonex rooting gel
Root riot cubes moist not wet. When they turn from black to brown, about 5ml pH water very mild nutrients, key word very mild or clonex solution I also slit the cube lengthwise. From the center of the cube to one side. And open it up to insert clone.
Room temp 77-78 degrees. Lights 24/7 until they have plenty of roots

Last edited:
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Get yourself some rooting powder. It's been the biggest thing that's helped me clone consistently. 0.1% works, I bought 0.8% because I'm a fan of overdoing things.

Dan789

Dan789

Taped heat sensor to mat✓
Root riot cubes✓
Cut clone stem 45 degree angle
Dip stem in clonex rooting gel
Root riot cubes moist not wet. When they turn from black to brown, about 5ml pH water very mild nutrients, key word very mild or clonex solution I also slit the cube lengthwise. From the center of the cube to one side. And open it up to insert clone.
Room temp 77-78 degrees. Lights 24/7 until they have plenty of roots
The only variation I use is: after cutting on the 45º I scrape the stem a little before dipping in the rooting gel, and that I only slit the cube for seedlings, to enable inserting the sprouted seed. (after the shell opens and the tap root extends.) Before that I use the paper towel/CD case method for sprouting the seeds. I might try the 24/7 light schedule also, next time, but 18/6 has been working, with clones and seeds for me.

Dan789

Dan789

@PickleRick, one more thing, are you removing some of the leaves, and cutting the remaining leaves off partially? Noticing you have plenty of leaves on your clones...

growsince79

growsince79

I use jiffy pots to make my clones. I take very small 2-3 inch cuts and remove all big leaves so that only the growing tip is left. CFL @6". 95% success rate.

Crashman37

Crashman37

Yea overdoing it
Make sure you have low ppm in water use any rooting hormone done tests at all novice cloners use those pucks I wet them cut the bottoms on 45 stuck them in dome my house is around 22 and in 15 to 25 days all rooted takes longer cooler temps no need to rush spray the plants once . Leave domes closed and dont fuck around lights on 18hrs.

Here are mine rite now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom