Only my second grow. Need some input on my plants :)

• Thread starter Psy3784
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Psy3784

Hey all! I live in Ont Canada. This is my second ever grow and I have this massive tree, has to be close to 15 feet and a not so massive tree roughly 10-11 and then a normal sized plant 6-7 feet. I'm also only 5'2 so, maybe why it looks a little wonky in some pix I break my neck just looking up at it, haha. I have done what, myself and my little brain could come up with for support lol. I am also very cheap... Sorry lol. So, these two ladies went into pre flower around the first of August and and have now hit flower roughly, last week or so. Also they are no longer leaning lol.
IMG_0089 (1).jpg

A little back story. So While I was tilling the garden, prepping it to plant my other plants, I find this amazing little lady in the weeds lol. June 1st.
IMG-0003.jpg

I am guessing it is either Purple Haze+random male or something called Tall Purple again random male no clue. I got everything as clones last year and had 26 seeds all germ this year as well but rabbits, a few males, couple hermies and sold some lol. Given her size I would assume she came up in April- may-ish, possibly . So she has been going since then.
Big Bertha, She smells like a skunks as* and berries/lavender lol and the fence is 6 feet for scale.
IMG_0107 (4).JPG

So on to the one in flower... Started around the 15th of July give or take a few days, has been going decent since other than Aphids being an issue since veg. So I am wondering what I can maybe do about them while in flower, 5 weeks on the 19th-ish. (the other two plants have none at all)
IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

When it comes to who I call Big Bertha lol. What can I expect out of her, bud wise? Will they all be popcorn buds or is it possible they can gain a fair bit of weight? And how can I go about supporting her more branch wise if ya's think it's even needed or worth it at this point.

Her cola is pretty weak. At night it flops right over and points to the ground but stands up during the day. I kind of find it odd. I only learned about LST, training, topping etc after it was too late for any of them. So any help there for next year by all means I NEED it :P

So, another thing is I have given them nothing nute wise at all and I only water when I think they could use some. Otherwise its rain.

I am wondering if any of you think they need anything regarding nutes? I have had no real leaf issues with them or anything so far. And Just wanting help and input for next years grow. Sorry this is so long winded and all over the place, but thanks for reading/helping.

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
i'm not sure what those are as my eyesight is shit and the pics are pretty blurry. the flyer annoys me a bit -- i don't like bugs with wings on plants. none of them are predatory ime. the other might be a type of assassin bug.

treating in flower is rough. best bet is hitting the plants with a pressurized sprayer on the end of a hose, and shaking out the water from the flowers. treating with spinosad is doable as it's food safe but will likely taint the flower taste. do not consider neem at all -- it'll wreck your smoke.

as @PK1 is, I'm not an outdoor guy. I run sterile hydro for a reason lol bit of a control freak and mother nature has a way of fighting back when you try to play fuck around. plants look healthy. one thing, if you have aphids, you likely have ants. treat the ants, you treat the aphids. those little bitey fucks are miners -- eg they "mine" aphids. kill the ants, kill the aphids. some companion planting might help. marigolds are my go to. i hate their scent but they do a bang up job of keeping pests away from plants you don't want em attacking.

P

Psy3784

i'm not sure what those are as my eyesight is shit and the pics are pretty blurry. the flyer annoys me a bit -- i don't like bugs with wings on plants. none of them are predatory ime. the other might be a type of assassin bug.

treating in flower is rough. best bet is hitting the plants with a pressurized sprayer on the end of a hose, and shaking out the water from the flowers. treating with spinosad is doable as it's food safe but will likely taint the flower taste. do not consider neem at all -- it'll wreck your smoke.

as @PK1 is, I'm not an outdoor guy. I run sterile hydro for a reason lol bit of a control freak and mother nature has a way of fighting back when you try to play fuck around. plants look healthy. one thing, if you have aphids, you likely have ants. treat the ants, you treat the aphids. those little bitey fucks are miners -- eg they "mine" aphids. kill the ants, kill the aphids. some companion planting might help. marigolds are my go to. i hate their scent but they do a bang up job of keeping pests away from plants you don't want em attacking.
Ahh I am sorry I didn't realize they were blurry Ill see if I can get some better ones!

Ohh ok ya I wasn't sure what to think about them or what to do even. Since yesterday, I found a bunch of aphid corpses. so I was hoping they were useful.

Oops lol I have been using it a tiny bit. Usually just a bit before it rains. I doubt its doing much, but I have noticed a decrease since veg it was pretty bad every leaf had a "nest" of them. I also have Dr Bronners peppermint Castile soap. Is that alright or should that also be a no go? I have been all over the net since last years disaster with PM trying to prevent everything and anything and neem/peppermint castile soap was always mentioned. I will for sure stop the neem and try out spinosad instead thanks for the recommendation.

Haha, ya for sure the better way to grow if possible, I just don't have the money or brain power. Yeah she sure does. I found that out already. I have PM all over some trees in the yard I am worried about, found 1 spot on one leaf yesterday on the one 5 weeks in and I almost cried lol. Awesome I am glad they look healthy. I added a picture of the aphids Hopefully it's not too blurry haha.
IMG 0129 3

I did not know that about ants I will for sure look in to "fixing" them haha
I will also try that thanks a bunch and thank you for replying. :)

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no worries, i'm sure someone from the members or @Aqua Man will give you some pointers on how to tread those insects. Kinda looks like mites but hard to see.
Im not really a bug guy. Only had to deal with fungus gnats once at a buddies place.

Maybe @CannaGranny @Homesteader @1diesel1 can help here.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I agree with Homesteader, looks like a young harlequin bug, without the benefit of a clear pic it always puts identification at a disadvantage. If it is indeed a harlequin knowing they are attracted to cole crops (cabbage, kale, kohlrabi) I donā€™t know that it will cause damage to your canna crop. If they are attacking your crop the damage will be found in the stems as they pierce the stems of vegetables and suck the sap from it.
I also agree with you that you have an aphid infestation. What you are looking at is an aphid in a nymph state.
I would search the market for a good organic spray. I personally use one called Trifecta, itā€™s safe up to two weeks prior to harvest and does not call for a rinse. My ladies seem to grove on it and it smells like a big Greek salad! Following directions specifically for aphids, saturating the plant completely and spraying at sundown will more than likely take care of your pest probs. Good luck, happy growing šŸ˜Š
One more note Trifecta will kick the hell outta PM!

Last edited:
P

Psy3784

I have wondered on those white and black bugs myself. Not sure what they are but they dont seem to infest all that much for me. Harlequin bug perhaps? The other looks like an aphid.
Yeah they arent hurting the plant from what I can tell. I was watching them today and they are eating the aphids. They were carrying them around, was neat to watch :P. So ya I guess if Harlequin bugs also eat aphids then I am all for them sticking around. Thanks for the info :)

P

Psy3784

I agree with Homesteader, looks like a young harlequin bug, without the benefit of a clear pic it always puts identification at a disadvantage. If it is indeed a harlequin knowing they are attracted to cole crops (cabbage, kale, kohlrabi) I donā€™t know that it will cause damage to your canna crop. If they are attacking your crop the damage will be found in the stems as they pierce the stems of vegetables and suck the sap from it.
I also agree with you that you have an aphid infestation. What you are looking at is an aphid in a nymph state.
I would search the market for a good organic spray. I personally use one called Trifecta, itā€™s safe up to two weeks prior to harvest and does not call for a rinse. My ladies seem to grove on it and it smells like a big Greek salad! Following directions specifically for aphids, saturating the plant completely and spraying at sundown will more than likely take care of your pest probs. Good luck, happy growing šŸ˜Š
One more note Trifecta will kick the hell outta PM!
After replying to Homesteader, I wondered if those bugs ate aphids and they don't. So whatever they are they seem to be useful to have around but I did find one leaf covered in black spots that wiped off. I am going to assume either poop or eggs from either aphids or those black little bugs lol. Also, the aphids are only on the one plant near my neighbors fence lol and I know he grows as well starting to wonder if it started there lol and like I said had them since veg. They have not bothered with the other 2 at all. Either way I will be looking in to the trifecta spray but man 4 oz for 50$ CAD thats pricy but if it takes care of everything its worth it 100%. Thank you again, you as well :)

Last edited:
P

Psy3784

Just quick question for anyone who wants to give me some help. The plant that's has been in flower for 5 weeks. Am I able to remove all the fan leaves and be alright? Because the aphids are all over the backs still. Just as a quick fix until I can get something I can use during flower. Or just continue squishing them. Just there are so many lol. Thanks for any help. šŸ˜

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Just quick question for anyone who wants to give me some help. The plant that's has been in flower for 5 weeks. Am I able to remove all the fan leaves and be alright? Because the aphids are all over the backs still. Just as a quick fix until I can get something I can use during flower. Or just continue squishing them. Just there are so many lol. Thanks for any help. šŸ˜
Hate to say this, but no. Those fan leaves are the solar panels for your ladies. They store food and are responsible for photosynthesis. The only time you should remove the fans is if they are blocking the light or preventing air flow. Even at that twenty percent is pushing it.

P

Psy3784

Hate to say this, but no. Those fan leaves are the solar panels for your ladies. They store food and are responsible for photosynthesis. The only time you should remove the fans is if they are blocking the light or preventing air flow.
Ok, ya that is what I kinda figured, but wanted to be sure. Thanks a bunch again šŸ˜

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So you see ants by chance? From my understanding its the ants that kinda damage the plants and that attracts the aphids to feed on the sap. Not 100% sure.

Like @CannaGranny said id leave em and get a treatment asap. Possibly insecticidal soap?

P

Psy3784

So you see ants by chance? From my understanding its the ants that kinda damage the plants and that attracts the aphids to feed on the sap. Not 100% sure.

Like @CannaGranny said id leave em and get a treatment asap. Possibly insecticidal soap?
No I have yet to see any ants on, near, or around it. I moved the rocks away scanned every branch and none.

Last edited:
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Hate to say this, but no. Those fan leaves are the solar panels for your ladies. They store food and are responsible for photosynthesis. The only time you should remove the fans is if they are blocking the light or preventing air flow.

I know you thought the price of the Trifecta was high, but that tiny bottle makes four gallons. Four gallons goes a long way in a home grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom