Oooooo-ooooooo, that smell.... Let's talk odor control.

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I wanted to get a conversation rolling about everybody's set up for environment exhaust and outdoor control. Some lucky members have the luxury of living in a legal environment. They don't have to concern themselves as much with odor as many other farmers out there. Although I'm sure a majority of everybody out there does take necessary precautions.

So, let's hear the basic stats related to your space and equipment used for exhaust and keeping the stink to a minimum. Maybe any issues you may have had in the past and how you solved them.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Currently
200 cf grow tents
1k hps (air cooled thru exhaust)
Hydrofarm 165 4" fan (full power, 24/7)
4" x20" 350cfm Phat filter

This is exhausted out the basement window. I usually have odor after 6 months of filter use. I've tried the smaller 4" filters with no luck. Speed controllers? Different filter? Fan? I'm struggling and in need of some help.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Got 2 600 hps’ and a 315 cmh added when it gets cold enough in the flower room and a drying closet for the perpetual harvests filtering through a pair of 6” inline fans and a .6”x18” 400cfm phresh filter.

In summer the exhaust goes out the chimney but in winter right into the basement and out under the living room.

No one has smelled the garden or drying flowers if all closed up.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Got 2 600 hps’ and a 315 cmh added when it gets cold enough in the flower room and a drying closet for the perpetual harvests filtering through a pair of 6” inline fans and a .6”x18” 400cfm phresh filter.

In summer the exhaust goes out the chimney but in winter right into the basement and out under the living room.

No one has smelled the garden or drying flowers if all closed up.
What's the cubic ft of your space? In relation to the size fans and filters? Speed controllers or wide open? Run 24/7?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What's the cubic ft of your space? In relation to the size fans and filters? Speed controllers or wide open? Run 24/7?

The room is about 400 cubic feet but the grow footprint is usually less than half of that.

Speed controllers have to be above the marked 35% on the hyper fan controller or smell will escape. They change speed often as our variable weather.

I also have a pair of 6” intake fans bringing air in from the adjacent lung and veg room. They run at half speed max.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I've read somewhere the idea of a speed controller is to increase the efficiency of the filter. Slowing the airflow to allow the carbon to capture odor more effectively. Who's using what? I've also read those simple $19.95 dial controllers suck. Recommendations on speed controllers...
Or, fans that have factory controller...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've read somewhere the idea of a speed controller is to increase the efficiency of the filter. Slowing the airflow to allow the carbon to capture odor more effectively. Who's using what? I've also read those simple $19.95 dial controllers suck. Recommendations on speed controllers...

I have hyper fans which have a built in speed controller. They only dial down to 35% power. And i have the green active air inline fans and their cheap controllers and they have all worked well running 24/7 for 4-6 years. I do filter intakes for dust so there is no buildup.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Vortex fans flipped backwards, always scrubbing no need for extra piping.
DE69F7A4 562D 4E1E 8057 4168A07BA923

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use double end filter,after 2 or 3 grows just flip it around ,the filter only use the half by the fan,mine is about 18 in long and i didnt realize the back half wasnt even used until i took one apart to clean charcoal,also found that the charcoal was coco husk,i sweep it with a propane torch to burn all pollen off put right back in filter can ,with it raining today might just be my project for the day

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Carbon filter. Booooom rocket science. You're welcome.
Been using carbon filter. Trying to figure out the right combination of fan died and filter size. Not rocket science, but a little tricky being completely stealth odorless. Been set up for two years and can never stay odorless for more than three months at a time. You just use a carbon filter? Fan speed? Size of grow/ fan filter combo?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

got about half way threw sweeping it and decided 4 years long enough,freaking filter are seriously priced outrages and refill of charcoal about same price
I remember having this conversation with you before about refurbishing your carbon filters. I like the idea.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Been using carbon filter. Trying to figure out the right combination of fan died and filter size. Not rocket science, but a little tricky being completely stealth odorless. Been set up for two years and can never stay odorless for more than three months at a time. You just use a carbon filter? Fan speed? Size of grow/ fan filter combo?

Is high humidity a problem? Carbon filters do poorly in high humidity. I think phresh says keep inder 65% rh.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I remember having this conversation with you before about refurbishing your carbon filters. I like the idea.
i finally threw one away yesterday,ive cleaned so much i had at least 3 cups of powder in it after dumping it out this last time,so i unass 52 bucks and got another ,it hurt bad buying at that price,seems like they should offer me a cigeratte after that fucking hahahahh.
i cant believe how wild west the industry has got with a few states going legal and the wolves are all out in packs

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Is high humidity a problem? Carbon filters do poorly in high humidity. I think phresh says keep inder 65% rh.
if i could run perpetal like you i would have bought a phresh,lots love and wont go with any other,but for me i grow a mess ,sit on it and smoke all then do another run i cant justify the money for something that gonna be packed away most of the time

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Never breaks 50% in the room. I'm thinking a better speed controller to start. Or fan with controller. Not sure about the combination i have if it's well suited for my space. Probably undersized.

S

Spliffyman

I've tried using one of them vary speed for my out take fan and when I tried to use it, it made my out take fan buzz.. It didn't sound healthy so I decided to not use it as my out take was a new one and didn't want to burn it out. My out take is having a negative pressure on my tent as the intake isn't as fast but it's all working well on my grow.

Top Bottom