opaque worm looking bug with a black head

• Thread starter 1971
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

found in my rockwool around the roots :( they are super small, like a couple mm long, so I wasn't able to take a pic. any ideas what it might be? I now know why my plants were getting paler and paler even as I tried to foliar and adjust pH.

also, i thought i read somewhere where flying aphids go to light whereas fungus gnats don't. anybody know if this is true?

all help is appreciated,

thank you

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
sounds like fungus gnat larvae..

They look like this?
gnat-jpg.221593

yep :/ not sure if they impact the roots in a negative way. I always thought they didn't hurt.

I can't quite get to the plants to scope so I'm not sure if I've also got root aphids :/

the plants are loosing their green and nothing I seem to do is helping remedy the solution. thought it might have been a sulfur def, but nothing is seeming to help

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
yep :/ not sure if they impact the roots in a negative way. I always thought they didn't hurt.

I can't quite get to the plants to scope so I'm not sure if I've also got root aphids :/
they do hurt your roots. shows things are not ideal/optimal in your grow.

Are you in flower or veg?
What are you currently doing to resolve the problem?

flower. did a drench with a product containing imidacloprid. going to order up some merit 75 generic and botanigard.​
any other suggestions?​

this is the first time I've grown in rockwool blocks, so i'm learning. interestingly my other grow room has none of these problems

also, i'll be picking up some mosquito dunks to stick in my reservoir. I do DTW but i'm basically drenching the blocks every couple days.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
this is the first time I've grown in rockwool blocks, so i'm learning. interestingly my other grow room has none of these problems

also, i'll be picking up some mosquito dunks to stick in my reservoir. I do DTW but i'm basically drenching the blocks every couple days.

No worries, I had em in my first grow with rockwool and have had em in coco and soil as well. All part of learning and chalking up experience.

if you are not in flower can dunk em in pyrethium, the larvae will be killed and some will crawl to the top and can pick em out. If in flower or want to avoid pyrethium products. Can use sns203c, then follow up with the biocontrol. Instead of dunks, I would then get some gnatrol or nofly as a biocontrol to eradicate the larvae.(stronger version of what is in mosquito dunks and no fly is another biocontrol)

Then can use don't bug me spray, yellow sticky traps and or a bomb to kill the fliers. You need to kill the entire life cycle of larvae and fliers to eradicate them. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to get em licked.

Next run can start out the grow with the biocontrol to make sure your plant have protection to start.

FYI, If you have houseplants, sometimes they can be the source of the problem... Good thing to treat them as well or toss em if you cant eradicate the gnats.

p.s. I have seen fungus gnats hit the light.

sadly the plants are grown into a trellis, so next to impossible to move them.

I ordered up 1/2 lb of Gnatrol but will use the dunks for the time being.

I very well could also be dealing with root aphids. I never had issues with mites or thrips until I had to use soil for a period of time. from then on, it has been a battle :(

no house plants as this is in a basement, but I'd think the soil is the ultimate culprit. between using IPM, floramite, avid, and now botanigard es, I think I've got my bases covered. and no, won't be using the heavier stuff on the flowering plants, just the mothers.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

permethrin....from walmart....in camping section.....sawyer brand....1 oz per gal.

My pictureee. lead beat me to it.

doubletree

doubletree

permethrin will act immediately and then the gnatrol will stop the cycle. save those plants friend!!

rvd

rvd

found in my rockwool around the roots :( they are super small, like a couple mm long, so I wasn't able to take a pic. any ideas what it might be? I now know why my plants were getting paler and paler even as I tried to foliar and adjust pH.

also, i thought i read somewhere where flying aphids go to light whereas fungus gnats don't. anybody know if this is true?

all help is appreciated,

thank you
i would give these fuckers hot water too.cheaper and easyer to find.

Reactions: mal
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
HOT WATER!!!!!!

130 degree hot water bro. Hot from the tap. you will see them die INSTANTLY. I soaked all my rockwool cubes for 30 sec. last night and this morning. No harm to the plants.

Hot water will kill the aphids too.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You can also use potato slices. they love that shit. Slice up some russet potatos. Put the slices all over your soil. Put a littel saran wrap on the top side so they dont dry out. The gnats will go to the potato instead of yoru roots. Then you just take the grub filled slice and toss it. Replenish. DO this until you have removed the majority of them.

dankworth

dankworth

I have been using Cap's foliar pack as a root drench, and putting some in a spraybottle and using that too where I can.
No fungus gnats forever, and I see a straggler RA here and there, but I have to look really hard to find any.
If I got solidly professional about my eradication, I would probably not have any left at all.
I cannot spot a single one in my veg area any more, and I have been looking for some time.

Imidacloprid is all sketch and systemic, it is probably not a good idea to use in flower.
I would not want to smoke anything with systemic funk in it with my still-compromised immune system.
Maybe it would be okay for people who are not sick with anything.

rvd

rvd

HOT WATER!!!!!!

130 degree hot water bro. Hot from the tap. you will see them die INSTANTLY. I soaked all my rockwool cubes for 30 sec. last night and this morning. No harm to the plants.

Hot water will kill the aphids too.
guess where i got the ideal from?haha

he dank, I'm not going to use any systemics... just botanigard es and gnatrol.

the heavier stuff i use only on the mothers or when vegging clones. since i smoke my stuff, i don't want to kill myself :/

Top Bottom