Open Blast Extractors Vs. Closed Column Extractors

• Thread starter Tango02
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

so i got my closed column tubes in a few weeks ago. ive done probably 15 runs with them. so far im really liking them. i can use less gas too. ill fill it up with about a can and a half and then no more butane will come out of the can because the tube is full, so i close the top, let it sit for a minute or two while i start packing my next tube, open the bottom and run another can through the top for extra pressure. this shit comes pouring out like a water faucet. after that can ill usually close the bottom off again with probably one can still left in the tube, go back to packing my next tube and repeat. for 180g im only running 4 or 5 cans till it starts coming out clear, so im saving on butane too. also i found its much easier blasting into a mason jar rather then a dish. ill wait until theres hardly any liquid left and just pour it out. yield went up 2% on a few strains, looks the exact same and same consistency.
If you like a mason jar, try a stainless bain marie sitting in hot water,

Borosilicate tubes 001 1
Extraction components
J

juggo

Hello,
I noticed, it appeared the pressure column that Graywolf posted a pic of was made of copper or brass (2 posts ago).I was wondering what Graywolfs thoughts are to leaching of some kind from copper during extractions.Perhaps the same rig in stainless would be an idea,though sourcing stainless fitting may be difficult. Thanks a bunch!
edit-just noticed the vibrator...too funny
peace,
juggo

Graywolf

Graywolf

Copper isn't an issue, if you keep it free of oxide, but you also note it was our first column, from which we moved to borosilicate, and then to closed loop stainless systems.

I prefer stainless for extractions systems, because they are easier to keep clean and aren't fragile like borosilicate at subzero temperatures.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

I know this thread is super old but I am hoping somebody will see this. I have a closed column extractor, just a lil 30gram one, and I don't have a working vac pump. My question is can I still let pressure build and let the material soak if I did not pull a vac first or is this in someway dangerous?? I understand everything works better and the way it supposed to if I pulled a vac but I am asking if it is safe to let your material soak if you did not pull vac....Please and thank you!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I know this thread is super old but I am hoping somebody will see this. I have a closed column extractor, just a lil 30gram one, and I don't have a working vac pump. My question is can I still let pressure build and let the material soak if I did not pull a vac first or is this in someway dangerous?? I understand everything works better and the way it supposed to if I pulled a vac but I am asking if it is safe to let your material soak if you did not pull vac....Please and thank you!

Perspective, perspective, and perspective, in that order.

I infer closed column extractor means a column with valves on both ends, but not a closed loop recycle system, so that is how I'm answering your question.

No, it isn't safe to inject butane into an oxygen rich atmosphere, less something ignite the mixture. Every person who does so, exposes themselves to peril by their own hand and decision.

Some of us did so without issue for years, by carefully controlling the environment where we did it, but safe is not one of the words typically chosen to describe it, so we looked for safer ways. Shazam, we have closed loop extraction.......!

Butane explosions need fuel, oxygen within explosive limits, and an ignition source. Lower Explosive Limits for n-Butane is about 1.8% butane to atmosphere. If'n you have the first two explosion requirements present, your safety depends on it not finding the third element.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/booming-bhotards-the-explosion-of-explosions/

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Perspective, perspective, and perspective, in that order.

I infer closed column extractor means a column with valves on both ends, but not a closed loop recycle system, so that is how I'm answering your question.

No, it isn't safe to inject butane into an oxygen rich atmosphere, less something ignite the mixture. Every person who does so, exposes themselves to peril by their own hand and decision.

Some of us did so without issue for years, by carefully controlling the environment where we did it, but safe is not one of the words typically chosen to describe it, so we looked for safer ways. Shazam, we have closed loop extraction.......!

Butane explosions need fuel, oxygen within explosive limits, and an ignition source. Lower Explosive Limits for n-Butane is about 1.8% butane to atmosphere. If'n you have the first two explosion requirements present, your safety depends on it not finding the third element.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/booming-bhotards-the-explosion-of-explosions/
Thank you very much!!! I was in a "safe" environment (meaning outside in open air) and i did let it "soak" but only for about 30 secs....I already ordered a new vac pump so i don't have to worry about that anymore, plus when i do pull a vac and let soak for 20ish mins i get a better yield!! Thanks for getting back to me thou and i really appreciate the info!!

Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
WOW, havent been on here in a long time and just looking at some of my old threads...this one has 33,000 views. unreal! nothing like looking up a 6 year old thread! haha

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
WOW, havent been on here in a long time and just looking at some of my old threads...this one has 33,000 views. unreal! nothing like looking up a 6 year old thread! haha

Jesus this brought back memorys.. Did you ever get that closed loop?

And lol 1 page back fuckin gW slappin a dildo to the fuckin closed loop he made... smh..

Tango02

Tango02

Supporter
No I never did, but shortly after starting this thread I changed jobs and moved so shit so put to the side like it does.

I am in a spot now to finally try it. I just flipped my lights so another 7 weeks or so I should have plenty of trim to run.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
No I never did, but shortly after starting this thread I changed jobs and moved so shit so put to the side like it does.

I am in a spot now to finally try it. I just flipped my lights so another 7 weeks or so I should have plenty of trim to run.

Feels im getting my grow on now so trim should be plentyfull starting to debate on how i wanna get back into making oil.. feel like i got left behind tho lol

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Feels im getting my grow on now so trim should be plentyfull starting to debate on how i wanna get back into making oil.. feel like i got left behind tho lol

I'm still over here tryna figure out whether to buy a BHO extraction system or a rosin press.....

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I'm still over here tryna figure out whether to buy a BHO extraction system or a rosin press.....

Allow me to quickly convince you that rosin is bullshit.

rosin is bullshit.

No but really check out the % returns rosin is givn back like 12-15% where as bho is giving 20-25% i think my highest EVER pushed nearly 28% (sativa dominant Deathstar)

Live resin just taste better as well..

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Allow me to quickly convince you that rosin is bullshit.

rosin is bullshit.

No but really check out the % returns rosin is givn back like 12-15% where as bho is giving 20-25% i think my highest EVER pushed nearly 28% (sativa dominant Deathstar)

Live resin just taste better as well..
Bro def cannot argue with you on the live resin...but no matter what direction I go I'm (probably?) not buying a freeze dryer lmao

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Bro def cannot argue with you on the live resin...but no matter what direction I go I'm (probably?) not buying a freeze dryer lmao

I don't think you need a freeze dryer to make live resin?

cut chop and vac seal it then off to the freezer till its time to blast..?

Chop it, fill the tube, back in the freezer to get it back to temp, Then blast it.. watch your boil off don't go above 90F and bam..

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I don't think you need a freeze dryer to make live resin?

cut chop and vac seal it then off to the freezer till its time to blast..?

Chop it, fill the tube, back in the freezer to get it back to temp, Then blast it.. watch your boil off don't go above 90F and bam..
I'm gonna have to take part of this crop and do exactly that now BROOOOOOOOOOOOO. Spanx

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I'm gonna have to take part of this crop and do exactly that now BROOOOOOOOOOOOO. Spanx

Like i said im prolly out of the loop but last i checked that was the basic of live resin.. for open blasting anyway.. for CO2 or closed loop w/ recovery could be a whole nother process i've never fucked with..

my exp stopped at open blasting around 2016 so if theres new info out there someone shine my light on it! :P

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Like i said im prolly out of the loop but last i checked that was the basic of live resin.. for open blasting anyway.. for CO2 or closed loop w/ recovery could be a whole nother process i've never fucked with..

my exp stopped at open blasting around 2016 so if theres new info out there someone shine my light on it! :P
My exp is just beginning mane! I'll take the advice.

(apologies to OP for thread hijack)

Top Bottom