Open Blast Extractors...which Quality Unit?

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FullMelt

FullMelt

First get yourself some legal counsel.
Operating a drug laboratory is very risky.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I am very well versed in the safety of extracts. I preach safety in everything. My cousin has 200 acres I can play in.

As of April 2016, concentrates are mmmp legal in michigan.

1.5lbs trim min to xxxxxlbs. Gonna pull the trigger on the 1lb dewax jacket, pressurized closed column unit.

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

Closed column is way better than open blasting. How much are you looking to spend? These units are cheap but they work really well.

CallMeErrl

CallMeErrl

I just don't see a smaller one, 200g is prob the most I would ever run I usually do about a qp.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

200g column is relatively small... Only looking at like 40gs from a good yielder at 20%. It's great for a starter such as yourself, perfect for a 5 gal chamber. And when you feel comfortable you just upgrade. I wouldn't suggest going smaller as I feel you will regret it when it comes to time spent vs yield. Just my 2 cents

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

.9 or 1.9 oven will be used. The cls is on hold for a month or so. Bought a new 2.5 ton ac for the house. My 27yr old one wasn't cutting it any more.

Dunge

Dunge

Old guy and his new blast tube.
20170627 095025

I have been playing with extractions for a few years now with small batches of veg left over from harvest buds off of a small basement garden.

I would rather be doing this in a recovery system because it kills me to just boil off the butane.
This explanes my many efforts at ethanol and iso extractions, but the product never stiffens up; always sap.

So here I am open blasting in this day and age.
(late life crisis?)
20170625 152245

20170625 155412

20170626 140154

The above pictures are the result of two cans of butane being blown through a freezer chilled blast load.
The first can yielded 4 grams of lovely clear shatter.

Here is my problem, and where I am asking for help.
The second can, blown into the second pie pan, yielded just 2.8 grams for darker and not as tasty product after cooking the hell out of it.

Did that second can extract water?
While heating, the product seemed muddy.
It eventually cooked off, so it must be water.

Did I simply go too far with the extraction?
How might I determine when to stop adding butane?

That tail end seems to be full of muddy water.
Do not want.

20170625 152325
20170625 152311 001
Dunge

Dunge

What did I just make?
(extract is floating on clear fluid)
20170628 071334ann

After a successful use of dry ice to de-wax the blast, I dumped the lot into a pie pan to let it off gas.

It looked like this in the pan.
20170628 065750

Strange thing was that when I first touched it with a blade, expecting to scrape it up, it started to slide free of the glass surface. Big gob stuck to the blade was used to pick clean the entire plate.

What is this stuff?

This is the first time I have used dry ice (DI) and that may play a part in this mystery.
I put the DI in the bottom of a large cooler to provide a cryo space to work in.
Also added some DI directly into the extract to speed the cooling.
20170627 192014

Waxes were visibly segregating into a floculant.
20170627 194529

20170627 194549

After vacuum filtering.

I plan to heat to de-carb and purge, but would first like to have an idea what the clear stuff is.

Thoughts?

mancdank

mancdank

I am very well versed in the safety of extracts. I preach safety in everything. My cousin has 200 acres I can play in.

As of April 2016, concentrates are mmmp legal in michigan.

1.5lbs trim min to xxxxxlbs. Gonna pull the trigger on the 1lb dewax jacket, pressurized closed column unit.
Maybe drop @Graywolf a pm or maybe he will reply when he sees this tag but imo out of majority of the guys that I've read he seems to be at the top of his game. And yea I hear u bro the 50% tax on getting next guy is taking it's toll on me too I'm guna be doing some respectable sized seed runs in the very near future and there's no way I will be parting with half of the proceeds of that but my method is much simpler I'm guna do a double dry sieve and turn it into rosin the last chocolate covered strawberry rosin I had still to this day nothing has ever come close. I'm looking at for the full kit at around £1500 not as scientific as your method but still effective

Top Bottom