Open hood /Bare Bulbs VS Closed glass air cooled hood

• Thread starter diffrentstrains
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

diffrentstrains

Any thoughts on the difference in nug size, grow time, quality, yield, efficiency, etc, etc,

Haven't seen a discussion on this and with my limited indoor experience do not have enough data.

Thanks for all the great thoughts in advance.

JB

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I personally like open vertizontal unberella style hoods, way cooler, bigger footprint and alot cheaper after you add in the fans, ducting, and typically a/c to run the glass inclosed air cooled hoods. The metal housing and glass are just big radiant heat sources in the big scheme of things. I think it is easier to and more cost effective to control the room temps with open hoods.

Umberellas all the way

Tex

Vertizontal reflector lg
ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I deff saw a big difference when I went from using a air cooled hood with glass to using my large adjustawings the adjustawing is the best reflector available IMOP there's just something about the bare bulb an the plant getting that direct light that the plants just love every flowering garden I plan from here on will be built around using the adjusta wing there just sick there is no question that no glass reflectors just give off more light an the plants luv it !!

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter
I deff saw a big difference when I went from using a air cooled hood with glass to using my large adjustawings the adjustawing is the best reflector available IMOP there's just something about the bare bulb an the plant getting that direct light that the plants just love every flowering garden I plan from here on will be built around using the adjusta wing there just sick there is no question that no glass reflectors just give off more light an the plants luv it !!

/\/\/\agreed. I love the AdjustaWings, Thats all we use now.

Me three! Just picked up a couple.

Very simple, outstanding efficiency and very light weight.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Yep there sick they throw down so much light and there so easy to break down if you need to pack up in a hurry. I actualy just set up my garden in a new way. I bought a grow lab gl240 the 8x8 but I only set up the frame. I didn't put the skin on it and set ut up in my basement it works awesome!!! You get a full 360 access to the garden I Dnt run co2 so it works out perfectly. It makes setting up a trellis super easy also it's alot Easer to keep cool in my basement. Im running 4k with large adjusta wings and quantum digi ballast and it works pretty fucking awesome! I mean 4k is perfect for a 8 x 8 area and the adjusts wings really cover more than that so I'm getting a shit ton of light to my gals. I just thought it was a cool idea to only use the frame. I had a room built with black and white Polly but I had a inspector come so I had to tear it down and I came up with this idea which really works alot better any way.

2DogWalker

this is coming from diffrentstrains .. 2dog isn't this smart....haha

Nice idea prodigy with leaving the tent off. I am very fond of being able to access the girls from all sides. I have a 10x8 room, 12 plants, with 2K open square reflectors from HTG. Shitty reflectors really but I will be buying 2K more with the vertizontal reflectors to bring the room up to 4K. I have since installed a since installed a 25K BTU a/c and it is keeping the room at 68-78* F on energy saver mode. When I first got it hooked up I came back after a hour or so away and the garden was down to 63*F. As long as the energy cost don't kill me I am pretty sure I will come out ahead because of yeild.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Ya I really Like being able to walk all the way around the garden and for a room your size you deff need 4k and with that av u should jaw no proble cooling it I have no problem keeping my garden cool an all I use us a Lg 13k btu portable ac I really like the Lg it's sweet . I Dnt know what ur electricity coast but I'm running a 4k garden a 1200 watt garden a 70 pint dehuy and the 13k portable ac and my bill never got over $225 but I Dnt use the washer and dryer at my crib either but your bill shouldn't be too bad I wish you could just buy the frames from grow tent that would be sweet and grow labs can support over 100lbs on the frame so there nice and strong.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Right now i use a vertical bulb no hood..would a parabolic that still has the bulb in a vertical position be worth my time or would it be better off to just save up for the adjust a wing?

D

diffrentstrains

Good question Jeff. I have also wondered if the position of the bulb (vertical or horizontal) in respect to the reflector will make much of a difference. IMO if the bulb is horizontal more light would reflect off the side of the bulb and down from the reflector... Does that make any sense? To me it does but I am also puffin motorsbreath
%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

I just installed a bare bulb hanging vertical. It seems to be a good thing as with no hood u can get the light to be closer to the sides and hard to reach areas of the canopy. I am thinking of adding 2k more in the same manner and keeping the 2k overhead with reflectors for wide spread light. This would bring the total watts to 5K. right now room is about 70* F.
%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

K

Kaybee

Hey Tex,
Do those umbrellas have a vent on the top exterior? It looks like that one has some innovative heat release vents on the inside.

C

cymbaline

Hey Tex,
Do those umbrellas have a vent on the top exterior? It looks like that one has some innovative heat release vents on the inside.
Some have slots for ventilation on the socket base where the "leaves" connect
the leaves themselves do not have any ventilation slots that I have seen yet.
If you don't use the leaves, you can get the bulb down into the canopy better and only have the base sticking slightly above the canopy.
I'm still learning though heh

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

All things being equal, the hood without glass will let more lumens hit your plants than the hood with glass.
Glass absorbs a small amount of lumens. Also, glass tends to attract dust, which will further diminish lumen output.

K

Killemall4u

Thanks i was debating this topic for my purchase this helped me decide

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I personally like open vertizontal unberella style hoods, way cooler, bigger footprint and alot cheaper after you add in the fans, ducting, and typically a/c to run the glass inclosed air cooled hoods. The metal housing and glass are just big radiant heat sources in the big scheme of things. I think it is easier to and more cost effective to control the room temps with open hoods.

Umberellas all the way

Tex
Gotta put bells on the 'brellas, I LOVE THEM. Super easy to set up for a middle-aged woman with back and grace problems, no glass between the energy you're paying for and the girls you're aiming it at, best footprint of any hood I've seen to date. I also found it MUCH easier to control room temps with them, though my problem is normally that it's too cool.

TK, you forgot to mention that the socket those vertizontals use comes right out and can be used for a vertical lighting arrangement as well. So it's almost like you're getting a two-in-one sort of gig with those hoods.

i would think that the biggest issue with exposed bulbs or non-air cooled hoods is that you can't get the bulb closer to the plants without risk of cooking the plants. i thought the whole reason we went to air cooled reflectors was to be able to run the lights closer to the plants?

jyip

jyip

i first started with a parabolic reflector with the bulb hanging vertical, the old style one...i used this over a 4 x 4 ft tray and it worked good, reasons i got this type were as peeps have mentioned already, less heat, bigger footprint, simplicity

i changed over to a air cooled hood now made by sunlight or sunleaves, whatever, it was the cadillac of hoods @ that time it was bought...i used it without glass in it and cooled the room with AC, it worked great, i had a perfect footprint for my 4 x 4 tray now, this hood reflects more n stronger light than the parabolic did cuz the parabolic looses more IMO off its hood

and now today, I have finally hooked up the hood correctly with the glass in it, and ducting connected to remove the hot air from bulb n area to control heat....I think whatver losses that you get from having the glass between your light n ur girls you will make for by being able to move light closer now that heat is sucked away,,,radiant heat hasnt been an issue to me,, I only use a single 1 k hps though, i also use a 5000btu AC to control room temps which it does nicley

final note...i have zero experience with the adjustable batwings types of reflectors out the now, and from what i have read , they work great, so whatever works best for the spot you have and the needs you have is how i would set up my room, aircooled hoods work for me, parabolics might owrl great for tex, and someone else will love their batwings,,,, for the difference in yeild, u need to wiegh in other factors too

good luck!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Tex,where did you find those para's and what was the cost?

Top Bottom