Opinion On Cloner Set Up Appreciated!

• Thread starter greenthumb89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Hello again, I made a post earlier asking for opinions on what more I can do and realize I can only be patient with what I have got going on at the moment. I do have a huge favour to ask of you guys on which setup I have going on is the better for sucess. The first one I dont have pics of but it's basically just a tupperware with clothes hanger wire bent to form a green house arc with saran wrap overtop to trap humidity pretty basic. The new one I created out of boredom is from an airtight cooler that I cut the hole out of the top and lined the inside with tinfoil. I'm assuming tinfoil is a little over the top and probably doesn't provide much benefit but I like spending time on things and I guess went overkill. I have saran wrap also over the opening where the light shines in so it's 99.9% airtight to lock in moisture. Do you think this set up is good enough to do the job? Thank-you again for your input and opinions.

Always learning,
GreenThumb
Cloner1
Cloner2
Cloner1
Cloner2
Cloner2
Cloner1

Apollo13

Apollo13

Don't cook em man. It can be too bright. Y my veg room won't clone. Temperature is important as well. They need very lil nutrients too, I don't use any. Some air is good to prevent mold. If u go airtight, I'd spray clones with neem before cloning so no mold. I do a T8 15 WATT bulb on a clear tote with vent holes root riot in ice cube trays. I used to go crazy and ur way is faster, but I cut 2 days sooner and use almost zero energy and get as many clones as I could ever use.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Yeah I haven't used any nutrients on them what so ever. One thing that I did fuck up on was I took cuttings from my plants a few days after I gave them a fert dose which was a my bad. I realized after I should have flushed them before I took the cuttings but i'm still hoping they should root? might just take abit longer since they'll have stored nutes. Unfortunately i'm on a shoe string budget at the moment this cheque wnt entirely to bills so I'm just using what I have around the house. All I can do I guess now is keep an eye on them. would you say I should take out the tinfoil?

Apollo13

Apollo13

I don't think feeding has anything to do with it. I clone anytime. Even outta flower..what light is that? I use a window this time of year just fine. No power, just cubes in ice cube trays, root riot blocks, root gel and clones. Keep moist with ro water. 10 days must be indirect light.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I do just lay a 15 watt t8 on top of tote for a lil extra bUT as long as its summer its not needed. But don't let it get over 75 degrees or so.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

it's just a 13 watt cfl I believe so its nothing strong. I've had it on constantly now for nearly a day and a bit and I can hold the bulb without it feeling warm. I understand that probably has not alot to do with burning the plant in regards to light intensity but it doesn't create any heat whatsoever really. I was considering putting a heating mat underthem but with it being close to summer i decided against it and see how she does. I have roughly 14 cuttings I think and i'm trying them all with different rooting gels/powders and 4 ina root2gel cup thing. I just want to see what gives me the best results, I know with such a small test group it's not too too accurate but atleast if ones bunk the others will hopefuly work.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

it's in a basement aswel so the room itself isn't warm at all to begin with but yeah.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I use all kinds of gels and powders and they don't matter. All work imo. I use whatever i got. But no heat mat, it is a winter thing. They will mold and die. Let them root. I try not to mess with them. I don't even check them til day 7 because I don't pull them til they got a few good roots. But in a unproven cloner, I would check them often unfortunately.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Ahh. Yeah i was only able to find some rooting powders and gels at my local gardening store/crappy tire. Nothing that's really mentioned on forums like clonex or olivias , but I guess at the end of the day a rooting hormone is a rooting hormone. I try and check on them 3 times a day just to make sure they're not wilted or anything. With it being a 14 watt cfl it should be fine to be that close yea?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
It's fine. Looks good.

What are the clones in? Rooting cubes? Cups of dirt? I only keep my clones sealed up for first 48-72 hours at most.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Thank u for the opinion shroom they're in jiffy cubes I think they're called. They're meant for propagation I believe

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I put down a bed of perlite under my clones. Supposedly this is supposed to help them keep water and air simultaneously .. Hopefully to root stronger. Anyone know if this works?

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I use a humidity dome with a flat plastic bottom. Then, via info i came across, i poured a decent amount of perlite, just enough to cover the bottom of the tray. Then over top of it sits my cloning tray that simply lets roots grow through the bottom and sorta amongst the perlite. I heard it helps keep a moisture retention near the roots that they love.
20150703 094829
20150703 094850

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

What does that mean exactly?

Sorry for the vague addition to your discussion. Just hoping to learn and possibly help!

New to the community, new grower. loving this forum thanks for allowing me to be a part of it! Grow on!

Apollo13

Apollo13

How u do it is fine, but why? Imo its just more expense..i pull em after they get a few roots aND plant em and perlite would need to be removed 100 % or it may clog something iN my system. I go so simple on clones it's a joke really. 15 watt t8 cfl over a clear tub. Root riot cubes with rooting gel in ice cube trays. So simple it's stupid.. almost 100% success. Many ways to skin this cat, I go the easiest and focus on important things like the flower room..

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

How u do it is fine, but why? Imo its just more expense..i pull em after they get a few roots aND plant em and perlite would need to be removed 100 % or it may clog something iN my system. I go so simple on clones it's a joke really. 15 watt t8 cfl over a clear tub. Root riot cubes with rooting gel in ice cube trays. So simple it's stupid.. almost 100% success. Many ways to skin this cat, I go the easiest and focus on important things like the flower room..

I see your point. Can't argue with results. Those clones in the picture are the first i ever cut. So any and all help with keeping them alive is appreciated!

Top Bottom