Opinions for 4x4 tent lighting

• Thread starter DogterB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DogterB

DogterB

Hello everyone! I’m here, yet again, to ask for opinions and advice. I was recently given a 4x4 tent and am looking into what light(s) to put in it. After searching the forums and seeing what’s what, I have some questions. I’m shopping around Alibaba, and that place gives me a headache…

1. Would I be better off with 240w x3? Or 320w x 2? Or 1x 600w/650w bar setup? I don’t know if I like the idea of relying on one large light, but I’m here for opinions and advice.

2. When it comes to UV & IR, when is the best time to run them? What if they don’t have a separate switch from the whites (run constantly)? Or one switch controls both UV & IR, instead of being able to control each individually? Is it worth it to have them then? Or with just IR?

3. Is Cree REALLY worth the extra money? What about Osram? What problems/qualms with Epistar do people have?

4. Some have varying options of white diodes vs 66nm diodes, which way is recommended? More white, less 660? Or more 660 with a few less white?

I have a “short list” of lights I’m interested in and am trying to narrow it down. This won’t be purchased very soon, trying to get an idea of what I want so I can start budgeting for it. Any and all information/advice/expertise is appreciated!

BigCube

BigCube

Hello everyone! I’m here, yet again, to ask for opinions and advice. I was recently given a 4x4 tent and am looking into what light(s) to put in it. After searching the forums and seeing what’s what, I have some questions. I’m shopping around Alibaba, and that place gives me a headache…

1. Would I be better off with 240w x3? Or 320w x 2? Or 1x 600w/650w bar setup? I don’t know if I like the idea of relying on one large light, but I’m here for opinions and advice.

2. When it comes to UV & IR, when is the best time to run them? What if they don’t have a separate switch from the whites (run constantly)? Or one switch controls both UV & IR, instead of being able to control each individually? Is it worth it to have them then? Or with just IR?

3. Is Cree REALLY worth the extra money? What about Osram? What problems/qualms with Epistar do people have?

4. Some have varying options of white diodes vs 66nm diodes, which way is recommended? More white, less 660? Or more 660 with a few less white?

I have a “short list” of lights I’m interested in and am trying to narrow it down. This won’t be purchased very soon, trying to get an idea of what I want so I can start budgeting for it. Any and all information/advice/expertise is appreciated!

I am partial to kingbrite quantum boards myself. Of your listed options I would go with 3 x 240w quantum boards.

As for red and uv, my opinion may be worth thinking about.. uv and red LEDs are not very efficient, they take more wattage to make equivalent light output. This is wattage you're taking away from the much much more efficient samsung lm301s. Also the lifetime hours of a uv or ir led is much lower than an lm301.

All this is to say, I think it smart to use straight up while LEDs on your panel. Then if you want, just supplement with other lights that you can use only when you need them and not the entire time the fixture is on. This I believe is the best choice for me. Honestly I only use them in the last few weeks of flower.

I got the blue before all this flu shit. They are sold out right now. But honestly I dont use it.

Just something to think about. Also depending on how you're doing it, you could probably get away with 2 x 240w and 2 or 3 36w reds in there when you flower.

Good luck man!

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

https://www.amazon.com/FSGTEK-Spect...eywords=grow+light+cob&qid=1593509901&sr=8-12

2 of these would be not the ultimate but good for a 4x4 on a budget.

Run them close to normal light dark hours because if you ever lose power you are covered. Pick up a 3 prong timer from the lumber yard to control hours (about 15 bucks).

BigCube

BigCube

https://www.amazon.com/FSGTEK-Spect...eywords=grow+light+cob&qid=1593509901&sr=8-12

2 of these would be not the ultimate but good for a 4x4 on a budget.

Run them close to normal light dark hours because if you ever lose power you are covered. Pick up a 3 prong timer from the lumber yard to control hours (about 15 bucks).

I ran those for a while. Great budget lights. But kingbrite are much nicer.

I've bought 5 of those, 2 for me and 3 for the old man. In 2 years, one has stopped working. Not bad for the price. 👍

DogterB

DogterB

I am partial to kingbrite quantum boards myself. Of your listed options I would go with 3 x 240w quantum boards.

As for red and uv, my opinion may be worth thinking about.. uv and red LEDs are not very efficient, they take more wattage to make equivalent light output. This is wattage you're taking away from the much much more efficient samsung lm301s. Also the lifetime hours of a uv or ir led is much lower than an lm301.

All this is to say, I think it smart to use straight up while LEDs on your panel. Then if you want, just supplement with other lights that you can use only when you need them and not the entire time the fixture is on. This I believe is the best choice for me. Honestly I only use them in the last few weeks of flower.

I got the blue before all this flu shit. They are sold out right now. But honestly I dont use it.

Just something to think about. Also depending on how you're doing it, you could probably get away with 2 x 240w and 2 or 3 36w reds in there when you flower.

Good luck man!
Thanks BC, appreciate the input! That was a hangup I was having, if the UV/IR would last as long. I like the idea of supplementing later on. Appreciate it! Kingbrite is definitely on the short list, along with Meijiu & Yuanhui. Certain options between those three standout to me, just trying to figure out what I really NEED versus WANT with this. Want to get what I need without breaking the bank.

DogterB

DogterB

Here are screenshots of the spreadsheet I made to keep things organized...

Kingbrite
Meijiu
Yuanhui
Top Bottom