Opinions on exhale Co2 bags

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why is Co2 such a difficult issue? Obviously there must be more to it than popping a Co2 cannister once a day.
You need to contain it so you need full environmental control or your just exhausting it from the tent.

matsc

matsc

I love Exhale's bags in concept.... but for the price of a single bag I can make the equivalent of dozens of them with my InstantPot, some mason jars, bit of cloth tape, and a couple bucks worth of rye grain. Granted it takes a bit of practice to be able to do things cleanly, but even a "failed" jar will still pump out CO2 (it just might stink while doing so).

A liquid culture syringe for something like Pleurotus (oyster mushrooms) is about 10-20$ on Etsy/Ebay/other websites, and will 'noc up several dozen jars if you're judicious with your dosing, AND you can even make your own LC to "refill" your syringe. Plenty of other species to choose from as well, depending on your preference.

Then again I've seen my local hydro shops selling "CO2 generators" for 50$ that are nothing more than a 2L plastic bottle with some sugar water and brewers yeast (called "The Enhancer", catchy), and you can toss that together in your kitchen in 5 minutes if you get bored.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I love Exhale's bags in concept.... but for the price of a single bag I can make the equivalent of dozens of them with my InstantPot, some mason jars, bit of cloth tape, and a couple bucks worth of rye grain. Granted it takes a bit of practice to be able to do things cleanly, but even a "failed" jar will still pump out CO2 (it just might stink while doing so).

A liquid culture syringe for something like Pleurotus (oyster mushrooms) is about 10-20$ on Etsy/Ebay/other websites, and will 'noc up several dozen jars if you're judicious with your dosing, AND you can even make your own LC to "refill" your syringe. Plenty of other species to choose from as well, depending on your preference.

Then again I've seen my local hydro shops selling "CO2 generators" for 50$ that are nothing more than a 2L plastic bottle with some sugar water and brewers yeast (called "The Enhancer", catchy), and you can toss that together in your kitchen in 5 minutes if you get bored.
I grow some mushrooms and the amount of co2 can get pretty dam high during colonization. Sometimes my room reads 4000 ppm but the problem is the fruiting environment they need. Not sure about oyters but the one I grow like about 90% humidity. I mean you could always work around that with containers

matsc

matsc

I grow some mushrooms and the amount of co2 can get pretty dam high during colonization. Sometimes my room reads 4000 ppm but the problem is the fruiting environment they need.

Thankfully, if all you want is the CO2, then no need to worry about the fruiting environment, you can just leave them in the jars to happily churn that rye into burps.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thankfully, if all you want is the CO2, then no need to worry about the fruiting environment, you can just leave them in the jars to happily churn that rye into burps.
Very true. In that case I'd go wild bird seed.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

See, that's what I'm talking about. It has a mystery about it. I keep seeing comments about Co2 machines and stuff. Sounds expensive, but now that you say that...

FirstBud

FirstBud

Sealed off my room today and got the xl exhale co2 bag in the mail. Room is a 5x5. Is that size bag an over kill for the room size? And are these worth the money? I'm wondering if I should have went with the Pro Co2 bucket.
First comment on board, having the same situation, 5 x 5 grow tent, using different company co2 bag, the XL bag is not overkill for a 5 x 5, my concern was if I'm trying to exchange the air every minute or so in the tent I'm sucking out the co2 in the tent and replacing it with outside lower co2 air. I thought about sealing my tent but temp and humidity would be uncontrollable also worried about getting it fresh oxygen during night period. I ordered a co2 monitor (cheap as hell from China, not expecting great accuracy, just to be able to determine difference between using the co2 bags and not)

matsc

matsc

See, that's what I'm talking about. It has a mystery about it. I keep seeing comments about Co2 machines and stuff. Sounds expensive, but now that you say that...

Machines start to make sense if you need a LOT of CO2, over a large space, and at carefully controlled rates.

Got a whole greenhouse to treat? Yeah, a metered burner or rain-down tank system absolutely is the way to go.

Have a closet? Then some friendly fungi will keep you covered. (and honestly, in non-sealed systems the efficacy of supplemental CO2 gets really shaky anyway, but that is an entirely different can of worms)

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Machines start to make sense if you need a LOT of CO2, over a large space, and at carefully controlled rates.

Got a whole greenhouse to treat? Yeah, a metered burner or rain-down tank system absolutely is the way to go.

Have a closet? Then some friendly fungi will keep you covered. (and honestly, in non-sealed systems the efficacy of supplemental CO2 gets really shaky anyway, but that is an entirely different can of worms)
I run an unsealed space 2x8 1/2ft and a 20lb tank lasted just over 2 weeks I think that was not bad for 40$ fill and the explosive growth I got during the stretch was worth it! Had my LEDs 8-10 in away and my ac infinity at the lowest setting. My closet has about an 8 ft sealing and my exhaust sits right near the top. I feel it kept the co2 in there longer than leaving the fan off. It slowly pulled air upwards and out while the heavier co2 circulated longer. I’m gonna use it next run too but only the first few weeks of flower since I’m just a small home grower…

Skeggox

Skeggox

I havent used Co2 but the benefits are well docummented. If you seal your tent then heat becomes an issue?? If running fans and filter then all your Co2 just gets sucked out of the tent. What would be the correct setup for this?

What size of excessive lighting would this need to be necessary for?

If these questions seem a little out of place or stupid please just ignore them I was just jumping into an interesting conversation and there is probably a thread somewhere containing the answers to these correct me if I'm wrong but the info I found said plants can grow with out issues in 90-95° if you have proper Co2

I havent used Co2 but the benefits are well docummented. If you seal your tent then heat becomes an issue?? If running fans and filter then all your Co2 just gets sucked out of the tent. What would be the correct setup for this?

What size of excessive lighting would this need to be necessary for?

If these questions seem a little out of place or stupid please just ignore them I was just jumping into an interesting conversation and there is probably a thread somewhere containing the answers to these questions
The info I found stated that maintaining 1200-1500ppm of Co2 allows you to grow up to 95°

Skeggox

Skeggox

Screenshot 20210624 082132 Chrome

Skeggox

Skeggox

I'm assuming this is referring to veg. There's no way you can flower at that temp regardless of Co2 levels correct?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm assuming this is referring to veg. There's no way you can flower at that temp regardless of Co2 levels correct?
Plant twmls matter air temls less so. But yeah thats to high for my liking.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Damn. I knew I'd be needing a dehumidifer and a ac when flowering hits. How many plants?
I m fighting this same battle , I have 4 plants in a 2x4 tent ( should b 3) and I pull 2 gallon a day aprox and I would like to get more out! But if the Dehuey runs to much it gets to hot . Can Seam to exhaust/exchange air fast enuff! First world problems. Lol

Skeggox

Skeggox

One they get some size humidity will be a real challenge and o possible way without a dehumidifier which will also shoot temps up and make a need for an AC.

I run a sealed room and when they are small I need a humidifier. But I pull over 5 gal of water a day out of a 5x5 area of plants once they get going.
So I will need a humidifier capable of removing at least 50 pints a day under 95° /90%RH conditions? If I get one rated for 35 pints (roughly 4 gal) a day it will not be enough correct? They are rated for 3000 sq ft. Or is that an over kill for a 5x5

Last edited:
Skeggox

Skeggox

I’ve seen so many conflicting views about em. I use em at my girls house in a 2x2 tent that’s in a basement. They probably work great for that or maybe even a 3x3 but not a 5x5. Your gonna have to put more bags in there if you want it to work better
So far the ppm is in the low 800 if the meter is close to accurate. It may build in a week or so depending on how fresh the bag is. Idk why they come pre activated

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
So far the ppm is in the low 800 if the meter is close to accurate. It may build in a week or so depending on how fresh the bag is. Idk why they come pre activated
The one I bought I had to inoculate myself it took about 30days or atleast it said 30-45 days before it’s ready

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I will need a humidifier capable of removing at least 50 pints a day under 95° /90%RH conditions? If I get one rated for 35 pints (roughly 4 gal) a day it will not be enough correct? They are rated for 3000 sq ft. Or is that an over kill for a 5x5
Read how they are rated... I belive at 80% humidity 35 pint a day. At 60% they will not be that efficient say maybe 25 pint a day. The lower the humidity gets the lower the efficiency gets. So imo go 50-70. The 35 will likely not cut it and the 50 may struggle to keep it low but should be ok..... thats not a guarantee. I feel comfortable recommending the 70 pint.

Madmax

Madmax

I know this old guy 😆 thats running the co2 bags in his non sealed room and his plants are like ....OMFG...

Top Bottom