Optic led 2 gen 4 different cobs color

• Thread starter Shin9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shin9

Shin9

I just got a new optic led 2 gen 4 that i bought from Grow Light Central. this lamp has two 65w cobs and some more diodes. when i first turned it on i noticed that one cob is white and one cob is yellow. i then watched some pictures and videos of all other optic led gen 4 models and they all have that mix. apparently they all have half 5000k cobs and half 3000k cobs.
and i wonder how can the light spread evenly in the grow space? it looks to me that one side of the grow will get more blue and one side will get more red. maybe in optic 6 where there are 6 cobs it can work, but with two cobs in the optic 2 in a 2X3 grow space i doubt the light will spread evenly.
what do you guys think?

here is a pic of the lamp i just got

Optic led 2 gen 4  different cobs color
Last edited:
NorGrower

NorGrower

I agree that the way they designed this lamp, including its diode config, leaves us with questions. I do, however, not think this a major issue. As the photons fall from the lamp they will mix enough to create a somewhat even spectrum when they hit the leaves. Ideally you'd want the same CCT (Kelvin) on the major light sources (the COBs) but if the lamp remains constant, the plant should still grow well despite the somewhat confusing spectrum.

I suppose the reason Optic used two different CCTs is to get two high tops in the spectrum: one blue and one red. As I understand it, this topic is heavily debated and I can't tell if this theory is beneficial but it looks like Optic is pushing it.

Anyway, with all the extra white, blue and red diodes, I hardly think the difference in COBs CCTs will have a major impact one way or the other. Good luck!

Shin9

Shin9

I agree that the way they designed this lamp, including its diode config, leaves us with questions. I do, however, not think this a major issue. As the photons fall from the lamp they will mix enough to create a somewhat even spectrum when they hit the leaves. Ideally you'd want the same CCT (Kelvin) on the major light sources (the COBs) but if the lamp remains constant, the plant should still grow well despite the somewhat confusing spectrum.

I suppose the reason Optic used two different CCTs is to get two high tops in the spectrum: one blue and one red. As I understand it, this topic is heavily debated and I can't tell if this theory is beneficial but it looks like Optic is pushing it.

Anyway, with all the extra white, blue and red diodes, I hardly think the difference in COBs CCTs will have a major impact one way or the other. Good luck!
Thanks. I read some more info and had a chat with optic led sales and i think it will be ok. time will tell.

Top Bottom