Optimal Temps for Color

• Thread starter AliasAO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AliasAO

Whats going on fellow farmers, Ive got a few questions about temp as it relates to color. Any help would be great and appreciated.

What is the optimal temp range for bringing out that nice indica purple hue?

At what point in the plants cycle should you introduce colder temps?

Should the temps be colder for both lights on and lights off? Or just lights off?

--AO

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lights-off is fine, temps for coloration are, as I'm sure you've guessed, also strain-dependent. 60s will do it for some ladies, whereas you need to get down into the 50s for others to see dark purple, eggplant-type coloration. Later in the cycle is better, in my experience if you allow things to get too cool it's as bad as too hot. They MUST have sufficient warmth to grow, that's all there is to it, so I allow it to happen during lights-off, just as what happens in nature.

If you apply cool temps in the last 2-4 weeks I think that should be sufficient time. Others may chime in with different experiences of course, and that should not be discounted.

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

i have seen different things on this topic. i feel that inducing color by lowering temps is bad. the release of the purple, is bruising of the plant, so i believe it to be stressful. i try not to let my room vary more than 10*, lights on 78-82*F, and lights off, i try and keep it above 70*F. i have still had solid purple nugs, on some strains.

i had a humboldt outdoor grower talk to me about this. he said that the frost would come in and turn everything purple, never saying it was bad but he described it as bruising of the plants.

now the extreme. i have seen articles were they ice the plants, whether its the plant or the roots, not sure of the technique, but sounded crazy stupid.

best purple kush i have ever had was solid green.

If you apply cool temps in the last 2-4 weeks I think that should be sufficient time. Others may chime in with different experiences of course, and that should not be discounted.

cool temps, yes, just don't fry out your a/c trying to go purple.

A

AliasAO

Lights-off is fine, temps for coloration are, as I'm sure you've guessed, also strain-dependent. 60s will do it for some ladies, whereas you need to get down into the 50s for others to see dark purple, eggplant-type coloration. Later in the cycle is better, in my experience if you allow things to get too cool it's as bad as too hot. They MUST have sufficient warmth to grow, that's all there is to it, so I allow it to happen during lights-off, just as what happens in nature.

Thanx for the info Seamaiden, that was pretty much what I figured regarding plant coloration I just wanted to get some advice from others who have seen proven results.

Hoping for other chime ins but If not your info has helped reinforce my thoughts about coloration.

Thanx Agian.

--AO

A

AliasAO

i have seen different things on this topic. i feel that inducing color by lowering temps is bad. the release of the purple, is bruising of the plant, so i believe it to be stressful. i try not to let my room vary more than 10*, lights on 78-82*F, and lights off, i try and keep it above 70*F. i have still had solid purple nugs, on some strains.

i had a humboldt outdoor grower talk to me about this. he said that the frost would come in and turn everything purple, never saying it was bad but he described it as bruising of the plants.

now the extreme. i have seen articles were they ice the plants, whether its the plant or the roots, not sure of the technique, but sounded crazy stupid.

best purple kush i have ever had was solid green.

cool temps, yes, just don't fry out your a/c trying to go purple.

Oside, Great response, thanx for throwing in your experience and two cents.

im happy I lucked out and got two seasoned growers to threw in some input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom