Oregon Farmer - ? about organics in drip systems

• Thread starter HotLooSey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HotLooSey

I've been growing for years here in sunny Oregon. I have a 17 HPS lights and grow 40-60 plants. Active on other forums but new to The Farmer.

We grow SensiStar, Medicine Man, Super Lemon Haze, and a few others.

Long time dirt farmer but making the switch to coco in 3 gallon pots placed in a drain to waste trays.

I've been researching auto drip systems but can't seem to get a clear answer about using organics, which we prefer.

Questions are about clogging and getting too funky in the reservoir and pump. Anyone have experience in this area?

LUCY

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Keep in mind, I do not use reservoirs. I grow organic soil, coco, perlite hempy, though, so hopefully I can help get you started.

Organics will get funky if they're left to sit, even just a 5gal bucket will turn in a day or two. That has been my own biggest problem with organics because if I need to premix for someone else to feed, I have to be very careful with what I put into the mix or it will get pretty funky. For instance, seaweed & kelp products have never presented a problem for me. But if I add any type of sugar, it can become a brew overnight. Something like Humax? Keep it circulating/stirred or it may settle out. Making teas? Fine, but STRAIN well would be my suggestion, and again, watch out for The Funk.

As for clogging, it depends on what you're using. Many of my organic nutrients are made to be applied as a foliar spray, so they'll pass through a drip system no problem. Others are just straight up too chunky--worm castings immediately comes to mind.

I'm going to be looking into tropf blumat systems, just not ready to drop the $$$ into a new system just yet, need to spend that money elsewhere at the moment. You might want to investigate them, though.

beezleb878

beezleb878

While not totally organic I have used Fox Farms nutes in only perlite run to waste (hempy) with great results. I use a drip system but do not use drippers.

Am running several coco/perlite hempys to test that out thus far the coco is easier to manage but not seeing any big differences in the plants themselves yet but its early, they are still in veg.

I found the nute packaging will typically state if its ok to use with a drip line. Verde from Humboldt nutrients is no good according to humboldt with drip lines.

Their is no simple answer I think.

Top Bottom