Organic Basics

• Thread starter MoonAndStarz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MoonAndStarz

MoonAndStarz

How do you define “organic” cultivation?

Growing medicinal marijuana as organic as possible is important to me. If I can’t control the progressive nature of my illness, I at least want to feel like I am in control of what I ingest to make it better or worse. All of us can relate to this.

What is “organic” cultivation?

Defining organic cultivation is not an easy task as the definition varies from grower to the next. However, generally speaking, organic cultivation refers to the method of growing a plant using only biologically available sources.

Why grow organically?

Most new growers find managing nutrient additives and fertilizers easier when growing organically rather than growing using traditional methods; new growers commonly find adding chemical nutrients and fertilizers can result in fertilizer and nutrient burn.

Organic cultivation relies on a trial-and-error learning curve, allowing the grower to add small amounts of nutrients and fertilizers until the optimum level is reached. Monitoring and adjusting pH is much less important when growing organically, because fluxes will come and go as needed.

Growing medicinal marijuana organically allows the grower to have the most control over the elements the plant is exposed to, and ultimately the elements to which the patient is exposed. As an added bonus, it is widely believed marijuana grown organically smells and even tastes better!

What should your organic growing medium contain?

Ideally, organic growing mediums should have good air porosity and water retention, and provide a good source of nutrients for initial germination and seedling stages. Additionally, the pH must be adapted to suit plants’ needs and the medium should contain some beneficial microorganisms (i.e. mycorrhizae). I am talking about “out of the bag.”

I know it’s common practice to amend your growing medium with compost, but it should be noted that too much of a good thing can lead to water retention, reduce air porosity and reduce the amount of the original growing medium. Personally, I have used PRO-MIX MP Organik (OMRI Certified) to grow tomatoes organically for years and am very pleased with this product. It contains: perlite, limestone, Mycorrhizae, processed pine bark, and sphagnum peat moss.

I recently began growing medicinal marijuana using PRO-MIX HP and have had great results!

How do you define organic? And, what products do you recommend?

Tnelz

Tnelz

I've had very good luck with promix both organically and with synthetics. Just started using it again amended slightly and liking it alot. Running a few trials but nature's nectar plus teas doing pretty awesome. Going to be trying rx solutions synthetic organic mix for nutes as well. Also been cooking some super soil with promix hp as the base and we will see. Good information bro!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I define organic cultivation using the standards set out by the National Organic Program and iFOAM. By the same token, I know that it's only possible, legally, to cultivate cannabis according to organic standards (and that's only possible *if* you use no 'cides', legal issues). However, I'm waiting for the day when one can be a certified organic cannabis cultivator. :D

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Have you grown hydroponics? I ask because your listed reasons for growing organically are incorrect other then the issue of importance of ph and possibly the taste and smell but that's debatable. If those are your only reasons you may like a hydro setup better. I don't believe one is inherently better then the other, it depends on what your goals are.

MoonAndStarz

MoonAndStarz

Have you grown hydroponics? I ask because your listed reasons for growing organically are incorrect other then the issue of importance of ph and possibly the taste and smell but that's debatable. If those are your only reasons you may like a hydro setup better. I don't believe one is inherently better then the other, it depends on what your goals are.
No, I have not grown using a hydroponic set up. I am definitely interested in learning more about it. I have been a gardener for years, but have just started my first grow.
As a new grower, I research A LOT, and sometimes like to share the info I have found with other new growers... obviously, I still have alot to learn. :)

are u a rep for pro-mix?
Not a rep, but a lifelong fan. I've had a lot of luck in my tomato garden over the years using the product, and it seems to be working well for cannabis so far. Which growing medium do you use? I'm always open to suggestions :)

Tnelz

Tnelz

No, I have not grown using a hydroponic set up. I am definitely interested in learning more about it. I have been a gardener for years, but have just started my first grow.
As a new grower, I research A LOT, and sometimes like to share the info I have found with other new growers... obviously, I still have alot to learn. :)

Not a rep, but a lifelong fan. I've had a lot of luck in my tomato garden over the years using the product, and it seems to be working well for cannabis so far. Which growing medium do you use? I'm always open to suggestions :)
Stick to what u know for a while bro. U can grow some very dank buds in promix. Good luck!

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

yeah, not knocking pro-mix, just wondering if u were a rep. it's good stuff and if it works for u, then there's really no need to change. especially if staying organic.

demoman1347

demoman1347

Open to some feedback on a mixture I've been playing with for my mainly organic grow, I cheat a bit to up my yield, cal-mag, big swell, thought about trying a dose or two of top shooter, just a thought. 25% FFOF, 25% coco, 25% sunshine #4, 25% perlite. What cha think ?

Top Bottom