Organic Coco need some advice here

• Thread starter MrGreenfinga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

I watched this video
Its MrCanucks showing how he grown some beautiful plants in only
Pure coco, worm castings, Gaia green dry amendments allpurpose 4.4.4 and powerbloom 2.8.4

Title says just add water
And thats what he does
I have no idea if he waters until runoff but i was really fascinated by this method
He says i only watered when dry and everything is in the medium

He topdresses about 3-4 times trough out the whole grow and transplant 2 times easy as it gets

Just wanted to hear if anyone had experience with this sort of growing and how easy it really is?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
@Itscheese94 @GNick55 @cannafarmer420
I heard i little birdie sing about you three might have some advice id appreciate 👏😆
hold on for me as i’m harvesting

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I watched this video
Its MrCanucks showing how he grown some beautiful plants in only
Pure coco, worm castings, Gaia green dry amendments allpurpose 4.4.4 and powerbloom 2.8.4

Title says just add water
And thats what he does
I have no idea if he waters until runoff but i was really fascinated by this method
He says i only watered when dry and everything is in the medium

He topdresses about 3-4 times trough out the whole grow and transplant 2 times easy as it gets

Just wanted to hear if anyone had experience with this sort of growing and how easy it really is?
Pure coco isn't the best idea for organics.
It has low carbon content compared to peat and dry too fast.

It's easy after you get it dialed tho hehehe
Other thing is fungus gnats, you have to be using BTI regularly to prevent those suckers to thrive in this style of grow.

Try something like
40%coco
40%peat
40%perlite
20% EWC
1g/Liter of Lime
~2-3% of the total volume with a good all around organic fertilizer like those gaia greens, best to wait for this mix to cook for 1 month at least, better yet is a 60days cook so it will mellow out, stabilize pH and the microlife in soil will mineralize your organic nutrients elements into plant available good stuff.

I'm dialing in a revisited old recipe of mine as we speak. The pure coco first revision batch test clone was low on nitrogen. I'm on revision 3 now and that will probably be the ticket.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Pure coco isn't the best idea for organics.
It has low carbon content compared to peat and dry too fast.

It's easy after you get it dialed tho hehehe
Other thing is fungus gnats, you have to be using BTI regularly to prevent those suckers to thrive in this style of grow.

Try something like
40%coco
40%peat
40%perlite
20% EWC
1g/Liter of Lime
~2-3% of the total volume with a good all around organic fertilizer like those gaia greens, best to wait for this mix to cook for 1 month at least, better yet is a 60days cook so it will mellow out, stabilize pH and the microlife in soil will mineralize your organic nutrients elements into plant available good stuff.

I'm dialing in a revisited old recipe of mine as we speak. The pure coco first revision batch test clone was low on nitrogen. I'm on revision 3 now and that will probably be the ticket.
40+40+40+20 140%?
Confused me im sorry😂
Im running lightmix/Peatmoss right now mixed with perlite
I dont grow organic currently but the idea of growing organic easily just tickles in all the right places if you know what i mean

And by lime you mean dolomite?
I dont have much knowledge on this im not a very experienced grower and i have grown organic really😅🤟

Now that i read i through again i actually have a billion of questions😂

When you “Cook” your soil you cook a soil for seedlings lets say
And then you cook 3-4 batches more for veg preflower and flower to transplant orr am i missing something?

maybe you just topdress to add in for the nutrients sorry im green as grass😂

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

40+40+40+20 140%?
Confused me im sorry😂
Im running lightmix/Peatmoss right now mixed with perlite
I dont grow organic currently but the idea of growing organic easily just tickles in all the right places if you know what i mean

And by lime you mean dolomite?
I dont have much knowledge on this im not a very experienced grower and i have grown organic really😅🤟
Ops sorry typed fast didn't rechecked
coco 20%
peat 20%
Perlite 40%
EWC 20%

Yep could be dolomite or any agricultural lime too.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Ops sorry typed fast didn't rechecked
coco 20%
peat 20%
Perlite 40%
EWC 20%

Yep could be dolomite or any agricultural lime too.
What about the cooking part and do you reuse this?
Do you care to very quickly teach me how i start out would really appreciate it
Like what you water it
And how you prep a soil
And where the hell i get my hands on BTI😆
Could be in a single message

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

What about the cooking part and do you reuse this?
Do you care to very quickly teach me how i start out would really appreciate it
Like what you water it
And how you prep a soil
And where the hell i get my hands on BTI😆
Could be in a single message
Substrate Rev 3

This is my revision 3 organic mix, you will have to find substitutes in your country tho.
But it's basically a gaia Green, bokashi, activated biochar, different rock dusts and magnesium sulfate.
To cook it you water with 5% the total volume, water only, after mixing everything dry really well, and mix.again after watering to equalize the humidity in the mix, mix every 5 days to bring what's on the bottom up, and refresh air for the composting. It will raise temperatures to 40c In the middle of the pile (cook) that's normal, don't let it go further than 50c, if so mix again before 5 days to cool it off again. But this mix I didn't see it go further than 35-40c, not enough fresh organic/carbon matter for it to raise the temperature even more, mix every 5 days for at least 30 days, when needed spray a little water to keep humidity constant, not really wet not really dry, a good medium humidity is what you should aim for, you don't want anaerobic composting.

Yes this is a media to be used again and again, after every full cycle you reammend it with 1.5L of all around fertilizer, 444 Gaia green for example, 5-10liters EWC mix it again and let it rest again for a month (this is for my batch size of 250L). This time only mix it every 10days.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

BTI is a bacteria that eats mosquito and gnats larvaes , mosquito bites granules will work good. Amazon should have it.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

View attachment 2133418
This is my revision 3 organic mix, you will have to find substitutes in your country tho.
But it's basically a gaia Green, bokashi, activated biochar, different rock dusts and magnesium sulfate.
To cook it you water with 5% the total volume, water only, after mixing everything dry really well, and mix.again after watering to equalize the humidity in the mix, mix every 5 days to bring what's on the bottom up, and refresh air for the composting. It will raise temperatures to 40c In the middle of the pile (cook) that's normal, don't let it go further than 50c, if so mix again before 5 days to cool it off again. But this mix I didn't see it go further than 35-40c, not enough fresh organic/carbon matter for it to raise the temperature even more, mix every 5 days for at least 30 days, when needed spray a little water to keep humidity constant, not really wet not really dry, a good medium humidity is what you should aim for, you don't want anaerobic composting.

Yes this is a media to be used again and again, after every full cycle you reammend it with 1.5L of all around fertilizer, 444 Gaia green for example, 5-10liters EWC mix it again and let it rest again for a month (this is for my batch size of 250L). This time only mix it every 10days.
Thanks alot really let me sum this up as i understanded it
I mix
20% coco
20%peat
40% perlite
20% Castings

And then add some All purpose let it cook for lets say a month and just give my soil moist/damp periods not dry tho

Water it with plain water
And i could perhaps top dress with castings and all purpose dry to keep
It going would this work?
Please correct me
If i said something wrong😆👊

Im trying to keep it as simple as possible💯🤟

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Thanks alot really let me sum this up as i understanded it
I mix
20% coco
20%peat
40% perlite
20% Castings

And then add some All purpose let it cook for lets say a month and just give my soil moist/damp periods not dry tho

Water it with plain water
And i could perhaps top dress with castings and all purpose dry to keep
It going would this work?
Please correct me
If i said something wrong😆👊

Im trying to keep it as simple as possible💯🤟
Yep my recipe is a recylcled old recipe that I did based on subcool recipe many moons ago, it's a rework in progress, don't take it for granted, top dressing monthly is a good option for needy strains so you can dial better for each cultivar needs.

With the soil ready with plants in it you water it with 10% the pot volume with water only, no need to pH or anything, with no runoff, or minimal run off you don't want to wash away the precious nutrients, let the soil dry a good bit before watering the plants again, around 50% of the saturated pot weight by feel, let the first inch or two top layer dry to help keep gnats at bay too.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Yep my recipe is a recylcled old recipe that I did based on subcool recipe many moons ago, it's a rework in progress, don't take it for granted, top dressing monthly is a good option for needy strains so you can dial better for each cultivar needs.

With the soil ready with plants in it you water it with 10% the pot volume with water only, no need to pH or anything, with no runoff, or minimal run off you don't want to wash away the precious nutrients, let the soil dry a good bit before watering the plants again, around 50% of the saturated pot weight by feel, let the first inch layer dry to help keep gnats at bay too.
Sounds like a plan i think my biggest struggle is getting my hands on some bti
Thanks for the advice really appreciated
Will chime in someday when i get it up and running🙌😆

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Sounds like a plan i think my biggest struggle is getting my hands on some bti
Thanks for the advice really appreciated
Will chime in someday when i get it up and running🙌😆
If you have access to Amazon it will be easy to find mosquito bite granules, do a small batch for some plants for testing, see how you get along with it.

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

If you have access to Amazon it will be easy to find mosquito bite granules, do a small batch for some plants for testing, see how you get along with it.
I unfortunately dont have access to it but i will find my way around it as always 👊😆

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I unfortunately dont have access to it but i will find my way around it as always 👊😆
It's widely available worldwide these days, I use a liquid one for organic grows, just make sure it's the israelenses variety.
BTI
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

It's widely available worldwide these days, I use a liquid one for organic grows, just make sure it's the israelenses variety.
BTI
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis
Okay i did some digging and i found a Nematode product said to do the same thing
I think this product is just for fighting them when they have already shown
Up 😅

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Another thing is its hard to find pure peatmoss i can only find peat based potting mixes im using one myself plagron lightmix its peatmoss and perlite
But its already fertilised which i guess wouldent work

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Okay i did some digging and i found a Nematode product said to do the same thing
I think this product is just for fighting them when they have already shown
Up 😅
The BTI is a better choice, much more efficient than nematodes.

Plagron is organic mix isn't it they also have a heavy mix available? You can use it as a base and topdress if/when needed, if you want to go organic water only route you will need to do some testing, try a full cycle with the plagroom heavy mix if you have it in your country. The light mix should be good for a month I guess with what it has in it already.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Another thing is its hard to find pure peatmoss i can only find peat based potting mixes im using one myself plagron lightmix its peatmoss and perlite
But its already fertilised which i guess wouldent work
You can start with plagron light mix for seedlings/clones in 7 liters pots than go for 20+ liters pots in plagron batmix for flower after transplant.

If it's a good soil mix it should be easier for you to start with organic growing without the need to mix your own from the start.

Top Bottom