organic home made compost used indoors?...... any bug problems

• Thread starter steve wilder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

steve wilder

i have made a very nice compost outside. has anyone had and bug problems orknow of any treatments to prevent any problems when using it for an indoor soil . i may create a worm bucket would that stop the bugs when all that is left is castings???
dont wanna spoil my babies.........
any help apreciated

D

dican01

if you are going to use outdoor compost for indoors, it has to be sterilized. the term sterilized is being used loosely here, since the dictionary definition of sterilization literally is "the destruction of all living microorganisms, as pathogenic or saprophytic bacteria, vegetative forms, and spores." surgical instruments for example, are sterilized in an autoclave under high temperature and pressure for a specified period of time.
for our purposes, it would be more correct to say that potting soil is pasteurized. exposing it to a high temperature but not killing ALL the microorganisms.
spread out your compost on a big sheet of plastic outdoors in the sun. put another piece of plastic over this and let the compost warm up a bit. this should kill the mites and springtails and other critters but leave some stuff alive.
if you put compost in your indoor garden from outside without doing this you will have critters. hope this helps. good luck.

T

TwoCreeks

I use a lot of homemade compost in the outdoor garden and they love it. It is very alive, full of worms and who knows what else. I wouldn't bring it in the indoor room though....

another_sellout

another_sellout

Seriously, if you haven't brought it inside yet, don't. There will be no natural control for whatever you unleash on yourself. Solarization in a clear bag may work, but can you afford to be wrong? Worms are always a good way to go, then you only bring in castings. The last option is you can make tea out of it. Tear the panty hose off your girlfriend, fill them with compost and soak them in a five gallon bucket in the sun for a day or two. Pull the panties and stir in a cup of peroxide, to kill any funny stuff and help break down any remaining organic material. Compost tea is the best. Try it with bunny poop!

D

Dulce

First off bro- I hope Steve Wilder is not your real name....know what I mean??

But anyway, Another Sellout is right (almost). If you have real, rich compost available to you and are interested in doing an awesome organic grow then you should really consider doing research on AERATED Compost Tea. This is something that I discovered not too long ago and has become my passion when it comes to marijuana growing research. The benefits are immense: good for you, good for planet, good for buds, great for smell/ taste/ potency, better plant health, resistance against spider mites and powdery mildew among other things.

I came to this site while in the planning stages of my new/future grow room to learn about....well I don't even remember now. But it doesn't matter because once I discovered the technique of using Aerated compost teas and all the things possible with that, I have been addicted to finding every nugget of info on this site and the web in general. Do yourself a favor and just start researching AERATED COMPOST TEA. If you are as passionate about growing the best MJ you can, then it should be a fun thing to do.

But yeah, don't bring that shit inside :)

~D~

D

dican01

Seriously, if you haven't brought it inside yet, don't. There will be no natural control for whatever you unleash on yourself. Solarization in a clear bag may work, but can you afford to be wrong? Worms are always a good way to go, then you only bring in castings. The last option is you can make tea out of it. Tear the panty hose off your girlfriend, fill them with compost and soak them in a five gallon bucket in the sun for a day or two. Pull the panties and stir in a cup of peroxide, to kill any funny stuff and help break down any remaining organic material. Compost tea is the best. Try it with bunny poop!

paint strainer bags from the hardware store have a better mesh count than pantyhose for compost tea (so does wedding veil material). also, i got a air pump for 20 bucks and an air stone for 5 bucks from a grow shop. with these, you're compost tea will be ready in 24 hours, and better aerated. you shouldn't be adding hydrogen peroxide to the tea, that would be killing the good stuff too. adding a little bit of seaweed powder at the end, when it is done, is best. some people add molasses also, but you don't need to.
along with compost, i put a handful or two of worm castings in my tea. they sell compost tea makers for hundreds of dollars but you can make one for around 30 bucks. compost tea is very magical stuff.

S

steve wilder

thanks for the info, will be trying to turn it into worm castings

another_sellout

another_sellout

Aeration makes a lot of sense, but bringing something inside I'm more worried about bringing in something undesirable. Peroxide targets anaerobic nasty, not your aerobic beneficial goodies. Also, the techniques make the most sense when used together. Faster than waiting for worms.

C

carper

dont bring in the compost leave it out side
your better off making a sterile soil mix from scratch
just store it in a plastic rubbish bin with a bit of water
and let it cook for a month

i use big tubs to grow in and i re use my soil with no problems if anything the soil just gets even better

greets carper

Top Bottom