Organic Integrated Pest Management

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

Nice attachment. Thanks.

I would like to grow populations of lacewings and predatory mites.
Have you any info on how this is done?
I can imagine tending to insect micro climates just as I tend to the plant environment.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Nice attachment. Thanks.

I would like to grow populations of lacewings and predatory mites.
Have you any info on how this is done?
I can imagine tending to insect micro climates just as I tend to the plant environment.
You can attract lace wing in by placing jars of water and yeast mixed together drill tiny holes in the jar lid the yeast smell will attract your wild population of lace wings both the green and brown lace wing . Here in OZ I use Vegimite to do that .

Homesteader

Homesteader

Plants that attract lacewings:

Achillea filipendulina Fern-leaf yarrow

Anethum graveolens Dill

Angelica gigas Angelica

Anthemis tinctoria Golden marguerite

Atriplex canescens Four-wing saltbush

Callirhoe involucrata Purple poppy mallow

Carum Carvi Caraway

Coriandrum sativum Coriander

Cosmos bipinnatus Cosmos white sensation

Daucus Carota Queen Anne's lace

Foeniculum vulgare Fennel

Helianthus maximilianii Prairie sunflower

Tanacetum vulgare Tansy

Taraxacum officinale Dandelion

I would think Tansy would be your best bet.
http://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yep at least 80% of what you have put up I have in my garden I also use the Sow Thistle or milk thistle as my sacrificial crop the aphid love the Sow so I grow it in my lettuce crop when the aphids have attacked the thistle I break off the stems full of aphids and feed to the chooks they love the thistle as well as the aphid .

Homesteader

Homesteader

On the outskirts of my garden last year.
IMG 20160917 145918

Homesteader

Homesteader

The best way to prevent Fungus gnats is to pre-treat all soil from the beginning with BTi before any hatch. BTi will only work on larvae, so if you have fliers, they will quickly overwhelm any IPM that is based solely on BTi alone.
If you find yourself with fliers and larvae start using BTi (gnatrol 28%, Dunks 10%, Microbelift 9%, bits 3%) I would do a full drench for a few days, then let it dry out as best as you can.
Get yourself an inexpensive and low power shop vac ($20 you don't want it to damage any leaves if you get too close) and give the stalk a shake and get around the base. This also works easiest if you have white walls. Stirs up the top layer of your soil to dry it out quicker.
BTi drench again and they should be on their way out. Vacuum the fliers as often as you can. The larger the size the closer to it giving you more.
Fungus life cycle

Fungus gnat life cycle

Last edited:
AmWeedwolf

AmWeedwolf

You can attract lace wing in by placing jars of water and yeast mixed together drill tiny holes in the jar lid the yeast smell will attract your wild population of lace wings both the green and brown lace wing . Here in OZ I use Vegimite to do that .
Finally a use for Vegimite 😂

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt) is a Gram-positive, soil-dwelling bacterium, the most commonly used biological pesticide worldwide. B. thuringiensis also occurs naturally in the gut of caterpillars of various types of moths and butterflies, as well on leaf surfaces, aquatic environments, animal feces, insect-rich environments, and flour mills and grain-storage facilities

During sporulation, many Bt strains produce crystal proteins (proteinaceous inclusions), called delta endotoxins, that have insecticidal action. This has led to their use as insecticides, and more recently to genetically modified crops using Bt genes. Many crystal-producing Bt strains, though, do not have insecticidal properties.

As a toxic mechanism, cry proteins bind to specific receptors on the membranes of mid-gut (epithelial) cells of the targeted pests, resulting in their rupture. Other organisms (including humans, other animals and non-targeted insects) that lack the appropriate receptors in their gut cannot be affected by the cry protein, and therefore are not affected by Bt.

Currently I use; for this purpose.
bacillus licheniformis
bacillus azotoformans
bacillus megaterium
bacillus coagulans
bacillus pumilus
bacillus thuringiensis

It's always good to have some redundancy built in, if possible, as environmental conditions, culture counts are going to vary by subspecies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom