Organic Potting Soil Options

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I want to start this forum in order to gain clarification on which potting soils are good and which potting soils suck for growing cannabis. Whether it be fox farms potting soil (please specify which, if you used ff) or if it is one of the array of commercial grade potting soils, (again please specify as much as possible) please share your experience.

CannaNovice

CannaNovice

I want to start this forum in order to gain clarification on which potting soils are good and which potting soils suck for growing cannabis. Whether it be fox farms potting soil (please specify which, if you used ff) or if it is one of the array of commercial grade potting soils, (again please specify as much as possible) please share your experience.
I have read foxfarms and roots organic are good. but expensive. I found Miracle grow "natures Care" natural organic soil at the local hardware store for 6$ /32QT bag. Its not 100% organic, but if you go down that road, it can be very expensive and there will be many hard choices and many times where you may want to give in on the organic. Keep it simple.

Megalith1

Megalith1

I using biobizz allmix with a good dose of extra perlite
I put seed straight in and had no issue even though most reviews say it's on the hot side for young plants

CannaNovice

CannaNovice

I using biobizz allmix with a good dose of extra perlite
I put seed straight in and had no issue even though most reviews say it's on the hot side for young plants
Forgot to mention I also added about additional 33% perlite to the miracle grow mix. How much does the biobizz cost...?
The stuff im using has kelp, alphalpha, bone meals earth worm castings, pete, perlite and organic fertz.

Megalith1

Megalith1

Forgot to mention I also added about additional 33% perlite to the miracle grow mix. How much does the biobizz cost...?
The stuff im using has kelp, alphalpha, bone meals earth worm castings, pete, perlite and organic fertz.
Think I paid about £13 on ebay

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I went to home depot with the intention of buying any indoor potting soil that was all organic. I found one with good moisture control. Im really not sure of the exact kind or else I would have noted it at the very start of this forum but Im thinking it was made by Vigoro. For my first grow, I don't regret it at all because the moisture control aspect paid off for mold resistance. But next time I'll probably be getting Fox Farm but I'm not sure. Hopefully they'll have it at my local Plant World.

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

I went to home depot with the intention of buying any indoor potting soil that was all organic. I found one with good moisture control. Im really not sure of the exact kind or else I would have noted it at the very start of this forum but Im thinking it was made by Vigoro. For my first grow, I don't regret it at all because the moisture control aspect paid off for mold resistance. But next time I'll probably be getting Fox Farm but I'm not sure. Hopefully they'll have it at my local Plant World.
I think I acquired broad mites from FFOF. I live on the east coast and it was my only product sourced from the west coast where russet mites are rampet.

Make your own super soil. Look up recipes. With the supplies you can make soil that can carry 2 cycles if put in a 7g or bigger with just an EWC/kelp/neem seed meal top dress in between. Water only. Also you can make 5 cubic foot with the same amount you would pay for 1.5 cubic foot of ocean forest. Ocean forest will require nutes in flowering. It's only compost which they have renamed "forest humus", crab meal...only a little bit, and peat moss and minimal perlite. You always end up having to add extra.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I think I acquired broad mites from FFOF. I live on the east coast and it was my only product sourced from the west coast where russet mites are rampet.

Make your own super soil. Look up recipes. With the supplies you can make soil that can carry 2 cycles if put in a 7g or bigger with just an EWC/kelp/neem seed meal top dress in between. Water only. Also you can make 5 cubic foot with the same amount you would pay for 1.5 cubic foot of ocean forest. Ocean forest will require nutes in flowering. It's only compost which they have renamed "forest humus", crab meal...only a little bit, and peat moss and minimal perlite. You always end up having to add extra.
Mmm maybe I'll do that in the future. But given where I live, its a matter of storing the soil I end up making. Therefore it's also a matter of not wanting to make a shit ton of it when I produce any given recipe. I suppose I could store the ingredients and make only enough to fill 3×2.5 gallon containers at a time. If I were to do something like that, around how much would these ingredients cost me?

Top Bottom