'organic' Section On The Forum

• Thread starter CanadaSeeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Dunno about all this, I do know how to keep it simple, dirt, well aged goat/chicken manure top dressed every couple of weeks work for us in all gardens, also our environment
P1000319
P1000315
here in the west is amazing....

Reeferkief

Reeferkief

Eating the Hand that Feeds You: Rhizophagy and Plant Nutrition
Those crazy scientists have done it again, throwing generally accepted theories of life science out the window. A group of Australian researchers have shown that plants are able to consume whole bacterial and yeast cells. Prior to this, our understanding of the root/microbe relationship revolved around the idea that microbes provided nutrition to plants. Bacteria can make nitrogen available, as well as solubilize phosphorus, potassium and micronutrients into forms that are plant friendly. Fungi perform a similar role, directly transporting nutrients and water into plants via the mycorrhizal networks. These mechanisms are pretty well understood and accepted as common. What’s not so commonly known is that plants can eat whole microbes. Yes, plant roots are able to devour bacteria and yeasts. The term proposed for this newly discovered mode of nutrition is Rhizophagy (rhye-zo-fay-gee).
During the process of rhizophagy, microbes are corralled into protrusions of cell wall arising from root tissue. The cell wall closes off and traps the victims inside. The microbial cells are digested inside the plant cell, and the digested nutrients are transported through the plant and used for growth.
This mind-blowing process was discovered by drenching tomato and mustard roots in a liquid solution that contained E. coli (a non-disease causing strain of course), and the common yeast S. cerevisiae. The microbes were labeled with a fluorescent dye so scientists can easily see them as bright glowing dots. After the roots had been soaked for several hours, they were washed to remove any clinging microbes and then examined under a black-light microscope.
The radical scientists found the microbes were incorporated into roots cells. E.coli and S. cerevisiae glowed brightly inside of root hairs, in the outer layer of epidermal cells, and in the apoplastic space between cells. The microbes were not found past the border controlling Casparian strip, so were unable to flow freely into the plants vascular system. Another treatment of plants with fluorescent beads similar in size to E.coli showed that the plants were not just taking up anything that resembled a microbe, but were specifically going after the nutritious bacteria and yeast.
Now how exactly does a plant eat a microbe? Looking into it with a high powered electron microscope, scientists saw a structure begin to grow around the glowing E. coli cells. The microbes were being enveloped by what looked to be a cell wall growing out of the root. By adding a cellulase activity indicator (tagged in gold), it was seen that indeed the newly forming wall was indeed chemically similar to a cell wall’s cellulose.
To determine what triggered the growth of the cell wall, the scientists grew the plants in a fluorescent broth which glowed when cellulase (an enzyme that would allow a microbe to break into the cell) was used to break apart cellulose. When E.coli and florescent broth were applied to roots, the glowing markers that indicated the cellulase was breaking apart the cell walls, allowing the microbes entry in to the cell. They were not able to determine if the cellulase was coming from the plants or the bacteria, so keep your eye out for future studies.
To make sure intact microbes were not transported through the plant, scientists examined leaf tissue for the fluorescing microbes, none were found. They also grew plants with disease causing Salmonella, and found no evidence of it’s presence in plant tissue either.
So, what were the plants doing with those yummy microbes? Well, they saw that yeast cells took from 10-14 days to be fully degraded in the plant’s root cells. Then, by growing the plants in the presence of another type of identifiable E.coli (labeled with a radioactive isotope of nitrogen), it was shown that the nitrogen from the E. coli had been moved up into the leaf tissue. This proved that the plants were using the microbes for nutrition.
This study raises a lot of questions. Do plants use this mechanism for nutrition constantly, or just under certain circumstances. Are plants selective for which microbes they will consume? Can we feed them certain microbes to induce a certain response? Can we bulk up our microbes with micronutrients so that they are passed along to the plant?
Our understanding of plant/microbes dynamics is always evolving. Studies like these pave the way for future bio-fertilization systems. What will you be feeding your garden next year? Maybe you will be first feeding your microbes, then letting the garden feed itself.

The acronym used by my good pal Eco stands for Induced Systemic Resistance!

11880691 10207298917288820 6500444935048127913 n
Last edited:
Ecompost

Ecompost

Brother, you're using some acronyms I'm not familiar with.

For me, VOCs=volatile organic compounds, for example. What's ISR?

Rhizophagy..? Now you've piqued my interest, especially when you're hinting that carbonates and bicarbonates are not a good answer for buffering, reminds me of a paper I read some years ago on how farmers irrigating with particularly hard water (high in CO3, mostly CaCO3) experience such buildup that their soils are made too alkaline to continue farming on.

@logic, would it be possible in the coming months to make a forum that better addresses all that comes with organic cultivation? We could possibly even use an aquaponic section, MANY people are growing cannabis in AP, I did some late season plants myself this year.
I think the user base would respond very positively. :)
ISR = Induced Systemic Response, eg via JAR or SAR, http://www.pnas.org/content/97/15/8711.full

More entry level access :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_acquired_resistance

Yes, Rhizophagy is a very interesting new subject area. Something I am keen to explore with reference yeast based bacterium and the root zone. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781118297674.ch115/summary

Hell yeah on build ups too. I have 108 hectares of land that I have been asked to fix. You would cry if you knew how bad it was. I very briefly went over the analysis results and checked the soil maps to go with them. Most of the red (poor) areas are surprise surprise - eroded luvisols/soils with raw peat layer. Looking at the aerials, you can even see the score marks on the land and deluvial soils nearby. This problem goes a step beyond soil microbial community I sense. Again, cover crops would definitely help. As there are luvisols, a compacted layer beneath plow depth is also an issue, making for wet soils in spring/autumn and worsening the surface runoff problems they have. Mycorrhiza injections could help with compaction, but only if other precautions are met aswell. There is no quick fix for me or the land owner. This is as a result of treatment, metered by so called soil labs, who are really just a front for a chemical nutrient company in many instances here.
I have a budget of about 200 euros a hectare LOL. Yes, I know, the conversation was short....but I care that this much land in my country might be turned over. We can not afford this, so now I am working on a better TCO/ROI presentation to get them to rethink the budgets

Yes lets have an organic section

Ecompost

Ecompost

Wot! The whole thing??? No way! (whey!)

Honestly, that needs its own dedicated post.
word. There is little in soil that can be posted with restricted chracters. The data is new and exciting and takes Organics from the old observational quotes of well, it just works look, to this is whats happening

Ecompost

Ecompost

I have been tagging foliar applied Cyanobacteria which most people assume do sweet FA unless O2 levels are low, but we are finding them working inside the leaf structures. What are they doing? Are they carrying the extra S and also releasing CO2 and is this something to do with Oxygen Reduction? Reverse Krebs or both, does the accumulation in the chloroplast membrane have any significance for heat or light stress tolerance?
We know they absorb gases like Ethylene or Methane and they convert this to CO2 on the putside of the leaf but inside? how are they living in the 6ppm H2O and what actually happens once the capillary force of the day sends them tumbling in to the leaf spaces?
This is something we are working to solve

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cyanos? I've never had good experience with cyanobacteria. A particular species you're working with here?

And with regard to that compacted soil, I'm curious if perhaps, along with using other remediation methods, oil radish and other deep tap root-sinking plants might help break up that hardpan for you. Then, culture the fungi to help further remediate, mayhaps? Or is a better solution to simply work on building up SOM (soil organic matter) here?

I've got your redux right heyah!!

Ecompost

Ecompost

Cyanos? I've never had good experience with cyanobacteria. A particular species you're working with here?

And with regard to that compacted soil, I'm curious if perhaps, along with using other remediation methods, oil radish and other deep tap root-sinking plants might help break up that hardpan for you. Then, culture the fungi to help further remediate, mayhaps? Or is a better solution to simply work on building up SOM (soil organic matter) here?

yes, lots of till radishes if they can take, but some of the land I am looking at is 4.5, no joke.
SOM would be a great idea, but we are trapped in the cost. Applying compost would be obvious, but 108 hectares, all Organic? I mean where from? I know Estonia, its not full of bang on compost. By the way the ? are for me and noone LOL

Yes to localised cyano :-) will dig out the data after dinner

Ecompost

Ecompost

ok sorry food took over, so we are using Phormidium autumnalae, trying to understand the mechanisms by which they defend against cilliate grazers.
labyrinthiformiss which you'll know as Spirulina right?
Anabaena torulosa for detection of Pb or K levels, so a bio sensor

much like some of the work being done with ecoli.

We use a Chroococcus also, which is found in a fermented PJ we use, and is the one I refered to being tracked internally

Ecompost

Ecompost

Eating the Hand that Feeds You: Rhizophagy and Plant Nutrition
Those crazy scientists have done it again, throwing generally accepted theories of life science out the window. A group of Australian researchers have shown that plants are able to consume whole bacterial and yeast cells. Prior to this, our understanding of the root/microbe relationship revolved around the idea that microbes provided nutrition to plants. Bacteria can make nitrogen available, as well as solubilize phosphorus, potassium and micronutrients into forms that are plant friendly. Fungi perform a similar role, directly transporting nutrients and water into plants via the mycorrhizal networks. These mechanisms are pretty well understood and accepted as common. What’s not so commonly known is that plants can eat whole microbes. Yes, plant roots are able to devour bacteria and yeasts. The term proposed for this newly discovered mode of nutrition is Rhizophagy (rhye-zo-fay-gee). nice post bro
During the process of rhizophagy, microbes are corralled into protrusions of cell wall arising from root tissue. The cell wall closes off and traps the victims inside. The microbial cells are digested inside the plant cell, and the digested nutrients are transported through the plant and used for growth.
This mind-blowing process was discovered by drenching tomato and mustard roots in a liquid solution that contained E. coli (a non-disease causing strain of course), and the common yeast S. cerevisiae. The microbes were labeled with a fluorescent dye so scientists can easily see them as bright glowing dots. After the roots had been soaked for several hours, they were washed to remove any clinging microbes and then examined under a black-light microscope.
The radical scientists found the microbes were incorporated into roots cells. E.coli and S. cerevisiae glowed brightly inside of root hairs, in the outer layer of epidermal cells, and in the apoplastic space between cells. The microbes were not found past the border controlling Casparian strip, so were unable to flow freely into the plants vascular system. Another treatment of plants with fluorescent beads similar in size to E.coli showed that the plants were not just taking up anything that resembled a microbe, but were specifically going after the nutritious bacteria and yeast.
Now how exactly does a plant eat a microbe? Looking into it with a high powered electron microscope, scientists saw a structure begin to grow around the glowing E. coli cells. The microbes were being enveloped by what looked to be a cell wall growing out of the root. By adding a cellulase activity indicator (tagged in gold), it was seen that indeed the newly forming wall was indeed chemically similar to a cell wall’s cellulose.
To determine what triggered the growth of the cell wall, the scientists grew the plants in a fluorescent broth which glowed when cellulase (an enzyme that would allow a microbe to break into the cell) was used to break apart cellulose. When E.coli and florescent broth were applied to roots, the glowing markers that indicated the cellulase was breaking apart the cell walls, allowing the microbes entry in to the cell. They were not able to determine if the cellulase was coming from the plants or the bacteria, so keep your eye out for future studies.
To make sure intact microbes were not transported through the plant, scientists examined leaf tissue for the fluorescing microbes, none were found. They also grew plants with disease causing Salmonella, and found no evidence of it’s presence in plant tissue either.
So, what were the plants doing with those yummy microbes? Well, they saw that yeast cells took from 10-14 days to be fully degraded in the plant’s root cells. Then, by growing the plants in the presence of another type of identifiable E.coli (labeled with a radioactive isotope of nitrogen), it was shown that the nitrogen from the E. coli had been moved up into the leaf tissue. This proved that the plants were using the microbes for nutrition.
This study raises a lot of questions. Do plants use this mechanism for nutrition constantly, or just under certain circumstances. Are plants selective for which microbes they will consume? Can we feed them certain microbes to induce a certain response? Can we bulk up our microbes with micronutrients so that they are passed along to the plant?
Our understanding of plant/microbes dynamics is always evolving. Studies like these pave the way for future bio-fertilization systems. What will you be feeding your garden next year? Maybe you will be first feeding your microbes, then letting the garden feed itself.

The acronym used by my good pal Eco stands for Induced Systemic Resistance!

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

what i learned from reading is, well a lot of things, but what stands out most is the importance of permaculture techniques. Mimic natures, that's the best we could ever do any way. If plants are intelligently doing all this work, maybe it's just best if we use our scientific tools to observe it all. It seems to me with modern agricultural methods and the dependence on fertilizer and now of course the game changing GMO's and seed patents. Only now science tells us tiling over the top soil year after year is damaging to the field. Especially considering how much of the fungal networks are being destroyed. The infrastructure of top soil, what hold everything together. And now with all the fertz leeching into waterways then to the ocean creating oxygen depleted deadzones. As long as somebody get's rich... who gives a fuck about the planet. Altho it's good to see, to my assessment as surprise, an about-face by the agriculture industry seems to be happening. Organic farming is viable and economical so it's logical.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ok sorry food took over, so we are using Phormidium autumnalae, trying to understand the mechanisms by which they defend against cilliate grazers.
labyrinthiformiss which you'll know as Spirulina right?
Anabaena torulosa for detection of Pb or K levels, so a bio sensor

much like some of the work being done with ecoli.

We use a Chroococcus also, which is found in a fermented PJ we use, and is the one I refered to being tracked internally
Yes, yes! Yes! Well, sonofabitch. This is some really meaty stuff you're doing and working with.

Add in a few fungi...? Now you're talkin'!

This is the shiznit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom