Organic soil mix for Auto's

• Thread starter Northernpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Northernpop

Northernpop

Thought I'd share a mix that I've found works well with auto's. It's free draining and lower in worm castings, but fully organic and will feed the plants for the first crucial 2-3 weeks. I then top dress with a bloom mix and worm castings, followed two weeks later with bloom 2 (livingsoilsfertiliser.com). The easy part is watering with de-chlorinated plain water ph'd to 6.5-6.9.

2 parts compost (I use gold label special mix light - Dutch blend, with white peat and Swedish clay)
1 part perlite (large grade, if possible)
1 tbsp / gal - volcanic rock dust
1 tbsp / gal - sprouted barley malt (livingsoils)
2 tbsp / gal - grow (livingsoils)
1/2 tbsp / gal - bloom (livingsoils)
2.5ml / gal - garden lime
2 tbsp / gal - seaweed meal
N. B. Water lightly with de-chlorinated water with biosys (microbes) and cook for two weeks before use.

Hope its of use/conversation.

Happy growing!

Northernpop

Northernpop

IMG 20210222 150727

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Thought I'd share a mix that I've found works well with auto's. It's free draining and lower in worm castings, but fully organic and will feed the plants for the first crucial 2-3 weeks. I then top dress with a bloom mix and worm castings, followed two weeks later with bloom 2 (livingsoilsfertiliser.com). The easy part is watering with de-chlorinated plain water ph'd to 6.5-6.9.

2 parts compost (I use gold label special mix light - Dutch blend, with white peat and Swedish clay)
N. B. Water lightly with de-chlorinated water with biosys (microbes) and cook for two weeks before use.

Happy growing!
You should not be trying to pH the feeds. The soil will do it anyway.
If you do this and mix everything in the soil before planting, you will never need to feed them.
This is how we do it: SF1000 goes Organic in our 2x4 | THCFarmer

And yes, we run Photos, Fems (not so much anymore) and autos in this mix.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
You should not be trying to pH the feeds. The soil will do it anyway.
If you do this and mix everything in the soil before planting, you will never need to feed them.
This is how we do it: SF1000 goes Organic in our 2x4 | THCFarmer

And yes, we run Photos, Fems (not so much anymore) and autos in this mix.
I have to pH everything to 5.7ish or my plants will not grow, doesn't matter what medium I am growing in. And look at the link you posted, there are many purple leaf stems which for me has always been a indication that pH needs to be fixed.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter

Happy growing!

Nice recipe, some stuff I use but I try and avoid peat now that I know where it comes from, didn't even know something like that would be a thing. Looks like the plants are enjoying the mix.

I also just use organic bag soil but just add dried weed leaf and stems for feeding the soil or organic alfalfa pellets if low on trim. Cannabis trim/unused plant parts, seems like the perfect weed food to me and I'm over buying stuff, so, that will be all I use now.

I do also have to make the pH of the soil 5.8pH for the plants to grow well.

What I am wondering is how you get away with watering with pH so high? For me, using 300ppm, 7.0pH, tap water, if I don't pH to ~5.7 cannabis will not grow.

Do you know the pH of your soil? And the ppm's of your water?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have to pH everything to 5.7ish or my plants will not grow, doesn't matter what medium I am growing in. And look at the link you posted, there are many purple leaf stems which for me has always been a indication that pH needs to be fixed.
Those purple stems are there on purpose. They are caused by low temps at night.
Your soil sux if you have to keep pHing it. What do you have in it?

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Those purple stems are there on purpose. They are caused by low temps at night.
Your soil sux if you have to keep pHing it. What do you have in it?
No those are clearly pH purpling. I have plants outside A week ago, near freezing, frost on roof tops, completely green plants.

there is more in my soil than I care to list again, but I don’t believe it’s the soil that sucks nearly as much as my tap water, pulling the pH out of range over time.

Ive never heard of or seen a soil/soil mix, that requires no care to maintain optimal pH or even decent pH levels using every watering source that everyone has, I would like to, can you show me?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

No those are clearly pH purpling. I have plants outside A week ago, near freezing, frost on roof tops, completely green plants.

there is more in my soil than I care to list again, but I don’t believe it’s the soil that sucks nearly as much as my tap water, pulling the pH out of range over time.

Ive never heard of or seen a soil/soil mix, that requires no care to maintain optimal pH or even decent pH levels using every watering source that everyone has, I would like to, can you show me?
pH, Temps, it doesn't even matter. The plant does what it wants and all we need do is water.

Read it here --> SF1000 goes Organic in our 2x4 | THCFarmer

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

is that the same link you already posted? I’m not gonna look at it again.

Tell me a soil that can use any water source and the pH of the water doesn’t matter, since that is what you implied.
Yes. If you saw it already then you know what we use, I'm not going to repeat it. A living soil that does not need to be fed. You can cause issues by feeding it.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Yes. If you saw it already then you know what we use, I'm not going to repeat it. A living soil that does not need to be fed. You can cause issues by feeding it.

All I saw was plants showing signs of poor pH medium. If you were watering with correct pH water, they would not do that as much and it will help to bring the medium into correct pH.

I have plants in organic soil that does not need feeding, the pH of what my tap water is matters a lot, so, I pH all my water to ~5.7.

I don’t think you have what you claimed because I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

That's not necessarily true for all plants, and I for one LOVE the Purple colors on any Purple strain, and we have NO pH issues, never did, and never will, not with the way we grow! 👍 😎

MTLEADER

MTLEADER

I'm using almost all the same stuff as @ComfortablyNumb only my base soil is different I have FFOF not roots organic and I have checked my soil ph and I have no issues. My plants also have purple stems and such and guess how they did that from temp at night being cold. you are rude brother and this man knows his shit with organics. Before he helped me all I did was kill my plants LOL now there thriving 🤪 so maybe open yer ears and shut yer mouth for a minute.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I'm using almost all the same stuff as @ComfortablyNumb only my base soil is different I have FFOF not roots organic and I have checked my soil ph and I have no issues. My plants also have purple stems and such and guess how they did that from temp at night being cold. you are rude brother and this man knows his shit with organics. Before he helped me all I did was kill my plants LOL now there thriving 🤪 so maybe open yer ears and shut yer mouth for a minute.

Congrats. Not sure what your trying to say or the point of your post but congrats anyways.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
You guys are talking past one another in here. CN is correct in saying organics don't need pH balance; but that comes with a caveat. ie. The original starting ppm of the water. pH doesn't matter if your water is say <<<50 ppm or so; ever. It's not the pH of water; but the solids dissolved in it. Lets look at a basic explanation of what pH is... pH will naturally auto correct itself in the substrate; "if" the water is fairly pure....

If your using water to change the pH in an organic grow; your almost always fighting a losing battle.

In chemistry, pH historically denoting "potential of hydrogen" (or "power of hydrogen")is a exponential scale used to specify the acidity or basicity of an aqueous solution. Acidic solutions (solutions with higher concentrations of H+ ions) are measured to have lower pH values than basic or alkaline solutions. Note that highlighted word there. So ever 0.1 the pH differs; it doubles the solute (particulate solids) in the solution. 1=x10

So it's not the pH of the water that matters; but the ppm of the water itself. HARD WATER=THE BAD!!!🥵🤬😡

If your running hard water; and need to pH it for your plants to grow; that could be a (possible) viable solution (if your lucky) and the dissolved substances in it; line themselves up with the needs of the plant. However; that would require local water analysis (google it) if it's not from a well source.... Send the link to me for review; if you need assistance deciphering the results.

That said; Any water >50ppm (300ppm) appears exceptionally troublesome to me; and I would be either filtering it; or simply letting it settle in a big bucket; then dipping it out after >48hrs, and then discarding the bottom 1/3rd; taking care to not stir up the solids while dipping out the water. (siphoning would be the simplest means); or better yet, installing a RO system or running it though charcoals.

Next subject;
Purpling in stems is either genetic (most often in Indica dom strains) or it's a magnesium issue; not a pH related phenomena. If your getting purple stems from ph'd water. It's being somehow squeezed out of the picture by acid. Could also be cause by plant producing natural purple pigments (anthocyanin) in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. This is a complicated subject; so you need to inspect more deeply than color itself.

Note how Mg++ Ca++ is often the easiest element squeezed by pH

How Soil pH affects availability of plant nutrients

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You guys are talking past one another in here. CN is correct in saying organics don't need pH balance; but that comes with a caveat. ie. The original starting ppm of the water. pH doesn't matter if your water is say <<<50 ppm or so; ever. It's not the pH of water; but the solids dissolved in it. Lets look at a basic explanation of what pH is... pH will naturally auto correct itself in the substrate; "if" the water is fairly pure....

If your using water to change the pH in an organic grow; your almost always fighting a losing battle.

In chemistry, pH historically denoting "potential of hydrogen" (or "power of hydrogen")is a exponential scale used to specify the acidity or basicity of an aqueous solution. Acidic solutions (solutions with higher concentrations of H+ ions) are measured to have lower pH values than basic or alkaline solutions. Note that highlighted word there. So ever 0.1 the pH differs; it doubles the solute (particulate solids) in the solution. 1=x10

So it's not the pH of the water that matters; but the ppm of the water itself. HARD WATER=THE BAD!!!🥵🤬😡

If your running hard water; and need to pH it for your plants to grow; that could be a (possible) viable solution (if your lucky) and the dissolved substances in it; line themselves up with the needs of the plant. However; that would require local water analysis (google it) if it's not from a well source.... Send the link to me for review; if you need assistance deciphering the results.

That said; Any water >50ppm (300ppm) appears exceptionally troublesome to me; and I would be either filtering it; or simply letting it settle in a big bucket; then dipping it out after >48hrs, and then discarding the bottom 1/3rd; taking care to not stir up the solids while dipping out the water. (siphoning would be the simplest means); or better yet, installing a RO system or running it though charcoals.

Next subject;
Purpling in stems is either genetic (most often in Indica dom strains) or it's a magnesium issue; not a pH related phenomena. If your getting purple stems from ph'd water. It's being somehow squeezed out of the picture by acid. Could also be cause by plant producing natural purple pigments (anthocyanin) in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. This is a complicated subject; so you need to inspect more deeply than color itself.

View attachment 1200865
The fact that we filter our water could very well have something to do with it.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Next subject;

View attachment 1200865
Mahalo @Frankster, that's some GOOD stuff right there! 👍🤔😎✌️

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The real key with organics is getting your shit straight going into the mix; cause there's no second chances once the roots have made connections. pH is largely determined in an organic grow by substrate; not fluids. Cause the microorganisms are adjusting it naturally; in vitro. Nitrification vs fermentation.... creates an equilibrium of sorts. ie. homeostasis and symbiosis.

Organism like Streptomyces in the soil put downward pressures on pH; nitrification brings it upward; and it's all different pH at different layers; it's a mixed bag is what I'm suggesting. Fungi love acidity; bacteria more alkyl conditions; ect.. ie. The bugs sort/balance it out by themselves.

In nature; water is pure; cause it comes from the clouds... so we need to mimic that process as best as possible.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

The fact that we filter our water could very well have something to do with it.
Ugh...The "secret" is outta the bag now, j/k! 😂 I told CN last night that the guy probably needs to filter his water, if his pH is that bad...I believe this "secret" info. is in our Grow thread too, but I may be mislead (by self lol)...*Shrugs shoulders* But what was "I" thinking...🤪🥴 🤣 @ SELF (again)! 😄

Top Bottom