Organic vs. Synthetic Pest Control for Outdoor Plants

• Thread starter Sparky1980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sparky1980

Sparky1980

I have a dilemma this year, as my outdoor grow is about to commence here in North TX, USA. I have the genetics, soil, nutes, etc. all dialed in, BUT, I have not been able to overcome the damage done to my cultivars by insects. Leaf hoppers, specifically, wreak uncontrolled havoc on my plants. In years past I have tried neem, diluted detergent sprays, powdered spinosad products, et al., and NOTHING has worked. I also have a thriving flower bed with veggies and wildflowers and all types of annuals, and I've always used Triazicide on these flowers and veggies with great results, as far as pest control is concerned. My question to you guys is this: Can I use Triazicide on my cannabis and, if so, how long before harvest do I need to cease and desist with applying it? I hate that it's come to this, but I've exhausted all forms of organic remedies, and I do NOT want to see another one of my beautiful plants literally get the life sucked out of it by leaf hoppers. Thank you, ALL, for your insight!

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Hello, welcome to the farm.

Have a look here;

Spinosad is an organic insecticide that uses compounds found in the bacteria Saccharopolyspora spinosa.

This compound is great for small-scale, personal grows as it is highly toxic to leafhoppers but much less so to larger, beneficial insects. And it is considered totally safe for birds, pets, and humans. With a very short half-life, it breaks down entirely within 24 hours, meaning that you won’t have lingering insecticide on your plants or in your garden. As such, it does minimal damage to the wider environment.

Or

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Arbico Organics is usually a reliable source of information, whether or not you buy products from them.

I've had leaf hoppers every time I've grown outdoors, but they've never been present at a level that would damage the plants significantly.

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

Thank you, both, for your insight. Yes, I've used spinosad multiple times over the years, and these TX leafhoppers just seem to laugh at it. They will ruin all of the fresh, tender tops and just destroy the leaves. Leafhoppers are the only pest that seem to really attack my plants. So I didn't hear anyone say I couldn't use Triazicide, and I just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with that synthetic insecticide and when I would need to stop using it before harvest. Thanks again, guys!

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

Thanks again for your insight and suggestions, guys! I think this year I'm just gonna say f--- it, and use a synthetic insecticide. Whenever I think about how the normal organic pesticides go up against the God-blessed TX leafhoppers, I'm reminded of the movie Mars Attacks. The silly humans attempt to unleash an atomic weapon against the Martians, and they end up inhaling the atomic blast like it was helium, LOL. These damn TX bugs are no joke! Thanks again, ALL.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I haven’t seen them here. But have more than enough challenges thank you.

Best of luck. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Zen

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

I haven’t seen them here. But have more than enough challenges thank you.

Best of luck. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Zen
All good, brother, all good! I just appreciate your response, as you helped me come to the decision of synthetic pesticides. I understand that it's taboo in the cannabis community, but damnit, I'm sick of losing so many gorgeous young plants to a stupid bug, lol. Thanks, man!

J

Jojo420

Look into a product by Mammoth called CannControl.
I swear by it and it's effective.
By starting my veg plants on the cycle just as they suggest I wind up stop spraying by mid veg and rarely have problems . Give um another spray at the start of stretch and call it a day on the spray.
Good luck :)

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

The issue with chemical pest control is that your are left with a blank slate in flower including your predatory bugs. Just begging for pests to raise their heads. There are preventive measures that can be taken, Mammoth is good, Lost coast plant therapy is good, trifecta is good, the amazing doctor zymes is great as well. All these are suffocants, with a oil base, some essential oils, alcohol and sometimes citric acid or yeast they are good preventive measures but wont control an outbreak. You can use most of these products until the last month of flower if you have too, but i like to stop spraying at the end of stretch. If your seeing a pest problem its probably a lot worse that you know, if you see one most times theres a ton. A proper IPM would be spraying something like that every 3-4days as soon as your outside alternating products and dropping predatory bugs along the way. All sprayers are not made the same, an atomizer or a tractor sprayer with higher pressure is much more effective and easy than back pack sprayers. From there your options are Knockdown sprays and Bio insecticides, and its best to alternate your products so the bugs do not become immune. Lets be clear spraying real pesticides in flower is not cool, spechially the later half of flower......Spend the cash on bugs and stop spraying!!!

Top Bottom