Original Genetics/seeds vs. Clones

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sedate

sedate

The dispensary I do all my business with is trying to get me to drop my well performing NL and White Rhino clones in favor of seed packs the guy is distributing - through, of all peeps, Subcool.

Whatever Subcool's issues w/ the farm, the dispensary was telling me that the "original" genetics of the seeds would be far superior to clones.

Given the function of genetic propagation, I don't buy it.

I think he wants to sell me a bunch of $10 seeds.

What benefits could possibly accure to growing from seed instead of a female clone?

What's wrong with growing a clone from a clone from a clone and so on? Plants are not complicated organisms . . . .

G

GreenSociety

Some Seeds will produce the most amazing phenotype you have ever even experienced. Like they said its an adventure but if they beans are legit and are not bunk I would go for it. No stress is the key to awesome genetics.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
He's trying to get you to buy seeds so he can sell you more stuff. Once you have a clone no need to buy it again.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

My uncle grows a lot of subcools stuff, with the most amazing results.....his descriptions have been on point so far. I am not sure why he is banned from the farm, to bad though as he seems to be one of the great breeders out there. As far as clones to seeds, I would do both, let me rephrase that I do both. I love trying new seeds because there is no telling what could come up, and I have the space to experiment so I do. I also would never give up the clones that I have acquired. I just started some Jack the Ripper seeds, both look like they are going to pop and they have been in water for only two days.

true grit

true grit

From what I've always heard- seeds for vigor and strength. Clones just to maintain a pheno instead of hunting it down and running a buncha seeds to do so each time. Pop some Subcool beans, see if you can find a gem and then go back to clone. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a few of Sub's gear and am definitely digging his super soil mix right now....

sedate

sedate

Beezie said:
I wouldn't ditch your NL or White Rino though. I have read and heard also that clones loose potency and vigor after you clone them for so long. I am not sure if I buy into that, all that much. I mean how long has the Chemdog been around sense 91. Thats almost 20 years now.

Yea these clones are really great performers. The NL comes through huge, FIM's out really nicely, and has the neatest hues. The White Rhino isn't the biggest yeilder but it does great with my girlfriend's MS.

I don't buy that clones will lose strength and vigor at all either - the process creates a genetic copy and nature handles that DNA propagation thing really well in simple organisms like plants.

GreenSociety said:
if they beans are legit and are not bunk I would go for it.

See that's the thing - they come all sealed up in these little packets with really high quality packaging - birth control isn't wrapped up this well. Bubble packs with pics of the pheno and Subcool's signature and shit - it's legit for sure.

It's just that I don't have all that many med cards so investing in a bunch of plants that could turn out any which way doesn't really appeal to me. Not trying to lose 2 months worth of grow time on an experiment.

sanvana said:
My uncle grows a lot of subcools stuff, with the most amazing results.....his descriptions have been on point so far. I am not sure why he is banned from the farm, to bad though as he seems to be one of the great breeders out there.

Yea that's why I'm so tempted to give 'em a whirl - especially with all the weed in the Denver market I'd love to have some distinguished genetics to set my stuff apart ya know?

I saw on another board that logic and Subcool got to beefing over the thcbay selling Subcool seeds - I dunno nuthin else about it though so who knows?

true grit said:
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a few of Sub's gear and am definitely digging his super soil mix right now....

Yup! I'm just hesitant to change a winning system right now . . .

I'm using Subcool's Super Soil as well - but looking at Doubled's med patient bucket's I'm not sure for how long . . . ! =)

M

Mr.Therapy Man

I like subcool and I think we all know why hes not here anymore..His beans are some of the most flavorfull strains Ive grown.My Moscas cindy aint bad either but my advise is to do both and start a few new beans...peace

D

deftron

Of all the rumors ive heard about clones losing this and that the only one that makes sense is the slow (over decades) breakdown of their genetic makeup. Who knows what this could entail (more mutations?) but it seems logical. Not sold completely on the idea until further research ofcourse.

Get a couple of them thar beens. if anything keep the illest male and make some of your own gangster ish. Not enough breeders in colorado.

sedate

sedate

deftron said:
Get a couple of them thar beens. if anything keep the illest male and make some of your own gangster ish. Not enough breeders in colorado

Bah - I don't want to breed - I want to grow alot of pot. Besides, I don't have that many liscenses, so I don't want to screw around with breeding or males or any of that. Seeds -> smokable pot is like four and a half months. clones -> smokable pot is like three.

deftron said:
Of all the rumors ive heard about clones losing this and that the only one that makes sense is the slow (over decades) breakdown of their genetic makeup. Who knows what this could entail (more mutations?)

No, mutations are exclusively caused by sexual reproduction. The step is called "recombination" and that's where you get mutations for natural selection - but there must be genetic material trading back and forth - sexual reproduction must involved.

Cloning is like a xerox, sexual reproduction is like making it yourself - it's a little different everytime.

Does the genetic stock remain the same over decades?

I don't see how it "seems logical" other than it has a sort of familiar meme of "as it gets older it doesn't work as well" - this 'logic' isn't really enough for me.

My current loose hypothesis is that as clones go through generations, I suppose it's possible that plants get taken from mothers with progressively shorter telomeres as the mother plants age relative to the clones taken from her - and obviously some clones will be turned into mothers as well - so eventually - I guess it's possible you could lose vigor as you end up cloning plants that are new cuttings - but genetically "old" (telomere length and senescece are usually correlated in every living thing I'm aware of).

Of course that could be total and complete BS.

I have no idea.

Top Bottom