Oscillating fans

• Thread starter claudacio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

claudacio

A few months ago I would have passed by this thread and said "Pffftt..... buy a fargin fan and turn it on oscillate dick"..... well now that I've gone through 2 brand new lasko fans, 1 16", the other 18", as well as 3 18"ers that I had for years without any issue other than the linty dirt that builds up every once in awhile. But they all break at the swing joint where the fan transfers the rotation of the fan motor to making it oscillate, the little tiny piece of plastic breaks in the same place for whatever reason when I hang them upside down in my tents (I imagine its because I hang them upside down when they arent meant for that) because if I put them right side up, the gigantic base takes up a good 18-24 inches of floor space.

So moving on from my problem, I am looking into some fans that are for sale at the hydro shops, some are orbital as well as oscillating and most importantly wall hung. But my is how does one mount a wall mounted fan in a tent with flimsy walls? Mount it to a piece of plywood and hang that from the tube frame I am imaging right?

So does anyone have any recommendations as to what brands or anything? I'm not really looking to spend $100 a fan but then again I am going through $35-40 ones left and right so maybe a $100 fan is the answer....

Any opinions on the orbital fans? To me more moving parts means complicated, complexity means that shit tends to break more often usually but I'd like to hear anything anyone says about the subject as well as similar setups to mine which would be a 4x8x7 sunhut that I need 2 new fans for (unless anyone knows a single that can do a 4x8 proper) and a 4x4x7 sunhut that could use a new one. I bought 2 $60 oscillating 48" tower fans which absolutely suck, they only move a good 45 degrees, I need something that does as close to 90 as possible I think. I dont know, I need to take up as little space as possible and get the most air movement I can on my girls. I guess the towers are ok for moving air around the bottoms of the plants and keep air moving around the top of the soil and anything within 2 feet of it but other than that I got robbed on those.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Air King 12" lasts longer than the 16" due to the weight on em, about 45bucks each. There are ecoplus ones that might be 10-15$ cheaper but I've not tried em...Only had one Air King 12" break on me and it was warrantied painlessly at the shop. I've got about 10 of em, some of em have been going on over 7years, just take off the metal frame guard after it rusts or you get sick of looking at it...lol just my opinion...

baba G

green punk

green punk

Ive got a couple vornado fans that have been running for 14 yrs 24/7.

SupaM

SupaM

After replacing three straight fans, the guy at the hydro store suggested taking the cage off, and I haven't had a problem since.
As for mounting in a tent, like you said, mount it to a piece of plywood and hang it. I also have one mounted straight to a 2x4, then tie strapped to a pole.
That's just what I did.

hiboy

hiboy

def air king.
put my thinking cap on for a tent install. Like baba g said smaller blade size less stress on pivoting pieces. Also dont bump em and manually move the rotators, i've done that accidentally and noticed they dont swing as much
h

Top Bottom