Out Of My Comfort Zone

• Thread starter bcoc2002
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bcoc2002

Hello all, im the newest of the newbies trying to grow something called WEED. Just the sheer name WEED leads one to believe that anyone can grow it. After weeks of research, and then putting my foot in to the fire, im finding out that WEED needs another name. Im 17 days today in to an early veg cycle, and woke up this morning to find that the edges of some of the leaves turning yellowish. After all my research, ive never heard of Two- Toned leaves. Im using Black Magic Potting Soil and up until now, it has been moving right along. The soil has all the right nutrients and yummies that are suppose to be in there. I have been watering about every 3-4 days, depending on my soil moisture meter. On those first two ovalish leaves that come out, one is completely yellow while the other is still green. Im using a white LED light but until this morning, it was about 6" away from the plant. Now it has been moved to roughly 12". I know its my first grow, but I don't want to lose her. Please Help, S.O.S !!!
Out of my comfort zone

Dan789

Dan789

Chill just a bit, your plant is normal, don’t overreact. Glad you started your own thread.

The one leave on the right that’s turning up (which really seems to be underneath the top leaves is probably from heat/light stress from the fixture too close. For a new plant 18” is a better distance btw.
From “all your research” is a bit vague, I suggest you do another deep dive and actually read through some more grow diaries and absorb the knowledge that will allow you to get this plant through to harvest. Does your container have drain holes in the bottom, as I don’t see any tray beneath it? That’s a necessity, is the container translucent, as the rim appears?, another no no.

B

bcoc2002

Chill just a bit, your plant is normal, don’t overreact. Glad you started your own thread.

The one leave on the right that’s turning up (which really seems to be underneath the top leaves is probably from heat/light stress from the fixture too close. For a new plant 18” is a better distance btw.
From “all your research” is a bit vague, I suggest you do another deep dive and actually read through some more grow diaries and absorb the knowledge that will allow you to get this plant through to harvest. Does your container have drain holes in the bottom, as I don’t see any tray beneath it? That’s a necessity, is the container translucent, as the rim appears?, another no no.

B

bcoc2002

Yes Dan, there is a tray underneath with some small stones on it to create a space between the tray and the grow container. I did change the spacing of the plant to the light to 14", thats the best I could do for the time being. I am using a make shift grow box that 24" tall × 16" wide. I have alum foil lining the bottom and side walls, using an all white led, black magic soil. I have a soil moisture probe that has dry, moist and wet on the guage. Ive been watering with 5.5 - 6.0 ph when the soil tester reaches the dry/moist line.Watering just enough to where it starts to drain out the bottom. Today is the 18th day of veg, using only water, no nutrients, as this soil is suppose to feed 3-5 weeks. Since this soils is suppose to have everything in it, could I strain some ph water thru some new black magic soil and use that water to feed plant when its time? Appreciate any help you can offer Sir. Thankyou.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

That's a coco and peat mix. Peat doesn't mind drying out a bit, but coco likes to stay wet. Might research watering schedules and see if you may need to increase waterings and where the sweet spot is for ph and if you maybe need cal/mag.

B

bcoc2002

That's a coco and peat mix. Peat doesn't mind drying out a bit, but coco likes to stay wet. Might research watering schedules and see if you may need to increase waterings and where the sweet spot is for ph and if you maybe need cal/mag.
There are three diff bags. I have the one with coco, and peat and all the other essential goodies. Watering is something im making sure i dont over due. I have a soil tester, and i wait till the meter drops down to the moist/dry line. That yellowing on the leaf edges has me uneasy.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Moisture gauge is great. But it's coco. Do some checking on coco threads. It likes to stay wet and needs watering more often. Really need to check out cal/mag too.

B

bcoc2002

Moisture gauge is great. But it's coco. Do some checking on coco threads. It likes to stay wet and needs watering more often. Really need to check out cal/mag too.
Since there is calcium and Magnesium in the bag of soil, what are ur thoughts of straining some ph water thru a cup or so of fresh soil and using that nutrient water to water with? Or is that just being to cheap?

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Or is that just being to cheap?

Yes.

I also looked at the list of ingredients in the soil and saw nothing about cal/mag.

Look, I'm not an expert on the mix you're using. I grow in straight coco and ebb and flow for flower and DTW in the veg chamber.

I know of at least one thread on here using that mix, and I'm sure there are others. Might want to use the search function and see what you can learn.

Welcome to the farm.
Gallery

B

bcoc2002

Yes.

I also looked at the list of ingredients in the soil and saw nothing about cal/mag.

Look, I'm not an expert on the mix you're using. I grow in straight coco and ebb and flow for flower and DTW in the veg chamber.

I know of at least one thread on here using that mix, and I'm sure there are others. Might want to use the search function and see what you can learn.

Welcome to the farm.View attachment 858340

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
That mix has bat guano and worm castings. Both provide healthy dose of calcium and magnesium with a plethora of trace minerals.
Cal/mag usually causes more problems than it solves because people throw it in willy-nilly and you don’t have a calcium deficiency. It doesn’t look like magnesium deficiency either. Not to me at least.

B

bcoc2002

That mix has bat guano and worm castings. Both provide healthy dose of calcium and magnesium with a plethora of trace minerals.
Cal/mag usually causes more problems than it solves because people throw it in willy-nilly and you don’t have a calcium deficiency. It doesn’t look like magnesium deficiency either. Not to me at least.
Since the soil has everything in it, what are your thoughts on taking a cup full of new soil and straining the ph water thru it. Then using that water to feed?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Since the soil has everything in it, what are your thoughts on taking a cup full of new soil and straining the ph water thru it. Then using that water to feed?

I dont think its necessary. There is no way that the soil is depleted after just 17 days. But again this is just my two cents and i’m not very good in deficiencies. Your plants dont look bad to me. I usually dont correct very minor issues but keep an eye on it to see if it progresses. They mostly grow out of it.

B

bcoc2002

I dont think its necessary. There is no way that the soil is depleted after just 17 days. But again this is just my two cents and i’m not very good in deficiencies. Your plants dont look bad to me. I usually dont correct very minor issues but keep an eye on it to see if it progresses. They mostly grow out of it.
After everyones input, im thinking the yellowing on the leaf edges is because I had the plant 6-8" from the led light.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
When watering, lift the pot up and feel the weight of it. Usually a good watering regimen, solves these problems. Maybe you have been overwatering because probes are not very reliable imo. Not always.

Besides that they seem ok to me. If the symptoms continue to appear than you can start correcting. This is my opinion only, but if you start to meddle with it at this point, i think it’ll only get worse. Because they’re in an amended soil which should feed the plant for sometime.

B

bcoc2002

When watering, lift the pot up and feel the weight of it. Usually a good watering regimen, solves these problems. Maybe you have been overwatering because probes are not very reliable imo. Not always.

Besides that they seem ok to me. If the symptoms continue to appear than you can start correcting. This is my opinion only, but if you start to meddle with it at this point, i think it’ll only get worse. Because they’re in an amended soil which should feed the plant for sometime.
I have been watering about every 4 days, sometimes 5

Top Bottom