Outdoor autoflower advice needed please

• Thread starter DevinA95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DevinA95

DevinA95

Hello everyone. Long time smoker, first time grower looking for advice, tips and what to expect. I recently bought 7 autoflower seeds and im patiently waiting for spring to give this a try. I live in the midwestern part of the United states and will be trying guerilla growing for the first time and have been scouting out some places but one of my concerns is finding a spot in the thick woods around here that can have enough sunlight/privacy for these plants. Being new to this I havnt the best knowledge on how much sunlight I should need or how little I need to just get by with. I would like to get best yields as possible so any tips would be appreciated. I plan on using 3 gallon grow bags and buying my own soil also. Thank you!

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

I've considered that but for privacy reasons and landlord reasons I'd prefer to have it away from my house. That's why I'm trying geurilla growing.
well if you have a landlord who you have to worry about being in your home being nosey is a problem all to by its self

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

well outside your gonna have to worry about pest and mother nature find a spot u can get too to and bring plenty of water

DevinA95

DevinA95

The spots are convenient enough that I can get to them easily and water isnt an issue. Basically what I am asking about is if they can do well with not so great but not so terrible sunlight. I've thought about deer and other pests and going to try my best to find some type of repellent.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

lol growing marijuaana in an open area is the not the best idea.. even here in cali there are theives who will peak over ones property and if they see plants they will steal them.. i cant imagine nobody would touch random plants out in the woods lol no offense

DevinA95

DevinA95

There are people around here that would take your plants in a heart beat lol. That's why I'm so concerned about privacy. But thieves shouldn't be an issue at this spot.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

I can tell u from growing mostly autos that you are going to need more sunlight than wat the day can give you... Autos are genetically engineered to grow in places that get upwards of 18 to 24 hours of sunlight a day. They flip to flower on a timed schedule not do to the amount of hours spent under sunlight like phots do... So you won't get the most yield that you can out of the plant, and chances are the lack of sunlight will stunt it. In my experience autos are for indoor grow, photos are better for outdoor... That's not to say you can't grow an auto outside I just wouldn't recommend it...

Last edited:
DevinA95

DevinA95

I can tell u from growing mostly autos that you are going to need more sunlight than wat the day can give you... Autos are genetically engineered to grow in places that get upwards of 18 to 24 hours of sunlight a day. They flip to flower on a timed schedule not do to the amount of hours spent under sunlight like phots do... So you won't get the most yield that you can out of the plant, and chances are the lack of sunlight will stunt it. In my experience autos are for indoor grow, photos are better for outdoor... That's not to say you can't grow an auto outside I just wouldn't recommend it...
Well I already have the seeds and no way of growing indoor at the moment so I'll just give it a try and see how it goes. After reading your reply I'll look into getting a few photos . I appreciate the advice.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Well I already have the seeds and no way of growing indoor at the moment so I'll just give it a try and see how it goes. After reading your reply I'll look into getting a few photos . I appreciate the advice.
Any time buddy. Also I was going through some of my old photos of some of my old outdoor grows and I found a picture of 5 plants that I had grew outside a while back the plant on the far right is an auto... It ended up being less than a quarter of the size of all my other plants...

IMG 20201020 103157401 HDR
IMG 20210123 220124379
IMG 20201020 103205287 HDR
IMG 20201020 103108905 HDR
DevinA95

DevinA95

Any time buddy. Also I was going through some of my old photos of some of my old outdoor grows and I found a picture of 5 plants that I had grew outside a while back the plant on the far right is an auto... It ended up being less than a quarter of the size of all my other plants...
Oh man that's small. I wasnt expecting that.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Oh man that's small. I wasnt expecting that.
Yah that's what I mean 12 hours of sunlight just isn't enough for autos... The one the says Alaskan Purple Auto is an indoor grow auto it's on its 4th week there...

DevinA95

DevinA95

Yah that's what I mean 12 hours of sunlight just isn't enough for autos... The one the says Alaskan Purple Auto is an indoor grow auto it's on its 4th week there...
The whole reason I went with autos is because I have 0 experience growing and the websites said "theyre great for beginners". That being said how much more difficult are photos to grow?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

You can grow autos outside for sure but its going to depend on your location. In the Midwest, especially if there is potential tree coverage, I would say you will likely have a weaker yield. I exclusively grow autos outdoors all summer long. I actually prefer growing autos outdoors but I can get away with it because I'm in climate zone 10a in Southern California. We get blasted with sun in the summertime UV index 10 out of 10 almost every day it totally cooks here. We get roughly 15 hours sunshine a day at the summer solstice. For you the best bet would to get some regular seeds not auto. Go with an indica variety that is really fast flowering and cold resistant. Plant them after the end of your last frost then let it rip. You will be much better off that way I think especially if there is some shaded tree coverage your nug will come out more dense with regular seeds. If size is a problem just visit the plants occasionally and top them by chopping the tips off each shoot. You can bush them out and keep them under 5ft tall but still get descent yield.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

The whole reason I went with autos is because I have 0 experience growing and the websites said "theyre great for beginners". That being said how much more difficult are photos to grow?
If anything I would say regular seeds will be more forgiving to a beginner grower. Its the opposite of what you think. It took me a while to become an auto master they are a different animal and behave slightly different. Auto very often take a more delicate hand but the reward is the speed of the grow. In your case just go with regular.

DevinA95

DevinA95

If anything I would say regular seeds will be more forgiving to a beginner grower. Its the opposite of what you think. It took me a while to become an auto master they are a different animal and behave slightly different. Auto very often take a more delicate hand but the reward is the speed of the grow. In your case just go with regular.
I appreciate it. I'm going to find some regular seeds and go with that. I'll probably still put the autos out just to see how they do but now I dont have such high expectations. Would 3 gallon grow bags be ok for regulars?

DevinA95

DevinA95

I found some femanized og kush and bubba kush. They seem to be the type of seed you recommend.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I found some femanized og kush and bubba kush. They seem to be the type of seed you recommend.
Perfect. Get them started a few weeks before the end of the frost. Get them going in little cups indoors first. Buy a very cheap little micro light just for seedlings. That way you can get them at least 5 or 6 inches tall. Get them going in Solo cups before you transplant them out into the wild. This will dramatically improve their survival most problems and disasters usually happen when they are little micro sprouts because they are so delicate at that size.

DevinA95

DevinA95

Perfect. Get them started a few weeks before the end of the frost. Get them going in little cups indoors first. Buy a very cheap little micro light just for seedlings. That way you can get them at least 5 or 6 inches tall. Get them going in Solo cups before you transplant them out into the wild. This will dramatically improve their survival most problems and disasters usually happen when they are little micro sprouts because they are so delicate at that size.
I will do that forsure. Luckily I started planning with plenty of time before season to figure all this stuff out. I still have a few things to sort out as far as pest repellents and such but I'll save that for another time. I appreciate your advice forsure

Latest posts

Top Bottom