Outdoor box size: 2' x 2' and 1.5' deep?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I'm starting my first outdoor grow in Southern Oregon. I keep thinking I have some easy question, but two hours later, I'm still searching. I find good info, but with so much if-and-but it's hard to be confident. Case in point: would a box that is 2 ft by 2 ft and 1.5 ft deep be big enough for this summer's grow? I've got a good draining mix plus aged compost, and about enough to fill my 2-2-1.5 boxes... but is that big enough? I think, with that width, the roots won't even go 18" deep. Maybe? And... am I not searching "right" -- was this an easy find, but I'm just clueless? Thanks-

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks CamDawg :)

imo, 2'x 2' is kinda small (but I have some that big)
I think 18 inches is deep enough.
Are you going to have a wire bottom?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I can go 4x4 and then 1.5, and a wire bottom will work

............4 x 4 box ^^

tj Wise

tj Wise

i am growing 12, for two cards - so i want trees. i love your pic, inspirational. i'll be looking at your threads. so far i keep finding tons of indoor info, plenty of guerilla stuff of little use to me, and then just some semi-focused disagreements scattered hither and yon. but you are clearly on the right path. thanks!

Camdawg

Camdawg

Always wire the bottom. When I did outdoor years ago we would double or triple layer chicken wire do stop moles and gophers. Also good to use wire around the first 18" to 2' to prevent critters even in backyards raccoons, rats, etc. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
you can see the "hardware cloth" wire on the bottom in these pics
bedhole6_8-jpg.223941
alienbedreadytofill-jpg.223190

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I put too many plants in that bed the first year :p

Bubbabed815

Just going to be two trees in there this summer;)

tj Wise

tj Wise

ah, i see. i will double up bottom and sides with chicken wire. i will take wooden pallets, cut in half, and lashed together. maybe just zip ties, plus with the fencing stapled firmly in place.

Top Bottom