Outdoor bud-washing poll -- cast your vote!

• Thread starter J.dub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you wash your outdoor harvest?

• Total voters
J.dub

J.dub

For many of us, the outdoor chop-chop is approaching! I've had several indoor harvests over the years, but this will be my first fully-outdoor harvest. I have read and heard about how bud-washing is a must for outdoor grows, but I've also heard of growers that don't bother, even outdoors. It's clear that washing an outdoor harvest removes dirt, debris, bug stuff, smoke and ash (for us westerners), as evidenced by pics of post-wash tubs by believers, but what is unclear is if this has any drawbacks, even when done carefully. Do you wash your outdoor harvest, and if so, in a few short words, what's your method and reasoning? Thanks!

R

ritoMox

For many of us, the outdoor chop-chop is approaching! I've had several indoor harvests over the years, but this will be my first fully-outdoor harvest. I have read and heard about how bud-washing is a must for outdoor grows, but I've also heard of growers that don't bother, even outdoors. It's clear that washing an outdoor harvest removes dirt, debris, bug stuff, smoke and ash (for us westerners), as evidenced by pics of post-wash tubs by believers, but what is unclear is if this has any drawbacks, even when done carefully. Do you wash your outdoor harvest, and if so, in a few short words, what's your method and reasoning? Thanks!
Haven't done it, but to emphasize the potential necessity, I remember years ago getting some fire bud and pulling the bud apart to roll one, and right on the stem hiding under the bud was a little cocoon web. I pulled the little web open and a little spider jumped out, alive and well😆

J.dub

J.dub

Haven't done it, but to emphasize the potential necessity, I remember years ago getting some fire bud and pulling the bud apart to roll one, and right on the stem hiding under the bud was a little cocoon web. I pulled the little web open and a little spider jumped out, alive and well😆
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Being a homegrower, I'm not so worried about the bag appeal, which I've heard is affected by even a careful washing, and I grow organically and vegan, so I'm not too worried about synth BS and chems and sprays, but I know that the rest of the fruits in my garden is NASTY when I pick it, and I see crickets, bugs, and all kinds of life all over my girls, so I figure I'll do a lemon juice and baking soda wash and double-rinse, and see how it turns out. I have heard that it makes for better terps and a better smoke, but, admittedly, it's gonna feel real wrong swirling my flower in liquids. . . .

Madbud

Madbud

I use a quart of 3% peroxide in a five gallon bucket of water, bundle the plant with string to dunk it a couple times, then soak in a big tote of water to rinse. Shake it off and hang like normal. Doesn’t kill eggs, still see hatchling cats hanging off the drying buds, but it cleans off any debris and residual btk.

R

ritoMox

I use a quart of 3% peroxide in a five gallon bucket of water, bundle the plant with string to dunk it a couple times, then soak in a big tote of water to rinse. Shake it off and hang like normal. Doesn’t kill eggs, still see hatchling cats hanging off the drying buds, but it cleans off any debris and residual btk.
Does the peroxide affect the terps, etc.? Peroxide=Oxygen=Oxidation.

TSD

TSD

I have washed every year since the first year I did it. I never did back in the day, as I didn't know it was a thing. There would be years where I could barely smoke my own bud because it caused me to have such an allergy attack, I have pretty rough seasonal allergies, the main ones being pollen, dust an mold... as you can imagine, pollen, dust and mold spores stick beautifully to sticky buds. Not to mention the various critters and critter poo, because I also grow organically, I preventative spray, but there are always gonna be some bugs unless you saturate daily, plus you get the unfortunate flying passersby that lands and gets stuck... I leave the spiders and ladybugs alone to do my bug killing dirty work.
I do the 3 bucket method, well 3 tote method cause I do it by the arm when possible. I wet trim first, tap off clippings by smacking the stalk or the buckets get gross with tons of trimmings. Bucket one, baking soda and lemon juice in lukewarm water, bucket 2, very light peroxide wash since I almost always battle mold of some kind at some point. I always amputate or chop when I get botrytis, but I'm paranoid. Bucket 3, plain cool water. Dip and gently swish for about 30 seconds each, drip in between, change water when it gets gross. I twist the water out gently, like you do with an umbrella, hang them on upside down tomato cages and hit them with fans, they get moved to the drying area when they stop dripping. It adds a lot of work to the harvesting process, but I'd rather do it and be able to enjoy my smoke without allergy attacks. I have a dehumidifier in my dry area to make up for the extra moisture, but you need good air circulation at the bare minimum, because they can mold in those first few days, but that's any time you're drying really. It does knock off a few trichomes, but I think it's negligible overall, and it's a trade off I have to make or I risk a year of weed that makes me get watering eyes and sneeze attacks... which I'm not down with.
20211001 193939
20211001 193911
20211001 192223

R

ritoMox

@TSD, Have you tried water curing? I heard that it goes down much easier for allergy folks.

TSD

TSD

@TSD, Have you tried water curing? I heard that it goes down much easier for allergy folks.
I have not, I've read about it... I'm all about taste and smell, so I don't know if it would be my jam... might be fun to do a few buds just to experiment. I have my dry/cure process dialed in pretty well, so I'd hate to fuck up a good system lol.

kevinfever

kevinfever

I never done it. But last year I had a plant covered in PM , so i took the best bud off let my buddy harvest the rest . He washed it with peroxide solution and gave me some to compare . It had a different look to it but still tasted the same and got me baked so I might give it a try someday if its between washing and composting

Madbud

Madbud

Not at all that i can tell. I’ve heard trichs can break off in cold water but otherwise no loss.

J.dub

J.dub

I have not, I've read about it... I'm all about taste and smell, so I don't know if it would be my jam... might be fun to do a few buds just to experiment. I have my dry/cure process dialed in pretty well, so I'd hate to fuck up a good system lol.
On that note, do you notice an improvement in taste and smell vs not washing? Do you modify the target temps/humidity in your dry and cure area at all if you wash the buds?

I reckon that the grow and dry environment where a grower is at surely makes a difference. Here in the southwest, it's DRY. Bone dry. Like, "exposed-river-bottoms-and-can't-afford-to-use-water-during-peak-period" dry. PM and such aren't so much of an issue during the grow, and, with a little attention, bud mold is much easier to avoid in the dry and cure. The flip-side to that is it's much dustier, and because it doesn't rain as much, the buds have been collecting that dirt and debris for weeks. I would imagine in the PNW, it's a whole different animal all-around.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes. I always wash my outdoor harvests. No, I don't bother to wash my indoor plants.

They say that it will smooth out the taste of the smoke, but I'm not entirely sure if that is true. After a washing, the water is usually pretty dirty. Not black, but far from clear. It's probably a good idea just because of all the bugs and other pollutants floating around outside. WPM and bud rot can be a problem in my area so that gives more of a reason to wash ... even if your crop appears fungus-free. Done right, it doesn't harm the bud. 3% H2O2 diluted doesn't cause much in the lines of oxidation.

TSD

TSD

On that note, do you notice an improvement in taste and smell vs not washing? Do you modify the target temps/humidity in your dry and cure area at all if you wash the buds?

I reckon that the grow and dry environment where a grower is at surely makes a difference. Here in the southwest, it's DRY. Bone dry.
I think it's smoother when washed, even if I didn't have allergies, I wouldn't want to smoke dust and pollen. I like my room to be around 62 to 65 degrees and 55% RH. I keep it dark and keep the dehumidifier set at 55% and usually the late fall temps keep it so I don't need ac, just a fan usually works. I usually dry for around 4-6 days hanging and another 1-3 in paper bags that I turn at least once a day, then into grove bags or jars to start curing... of course big tops take longer, and popcorn buds dry in no time... so that's just an approximation.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’ve washed a few large stems that I wet trimmed first. I was amazed at how much cat poops and dirt washed out. But I had so much harvest I couldn’t possibly wash it all so I decided to dry trim and shake the branches after trimming and lots of “stuff” fell out on white paper. Didn’t loose too many trichs so I’ll probably stick with this method this year.

J.dub

J.dub

So far, I'm slightly surprised at the evenness of the results! Not a huge sample size, but still. I didn't vote, because I'm going to try it for the first time this year, which is why I started the poll. For those of you that voted never have and never will, if you're reading this, would you please share with us your reasoning? I'm curious, and have my suspicions why. but don't want to assume. Thanks, y'all!

PotsieSativa

PotsieSativa

So far, I'm slightly surprised at the evenness of the results! Not a huge sample size, but still. I didn't vote, because I'm going to try it for the first time this year, which is why I started the poll. For those of you that voted never have and never will, if you're reading this, would you please share with us your reasoning? I'm curious, and have my suspicions why. but don't want to assume. Thanks, y'all!

The only place I've ever seen dust collect on a plant is by a chat (low grade limestone) road. And most growers are purposely feeding limestone to their trichomes for some reason. So what's the difference. That's what the trichs of modern shit cannabis are made from, calcium carbonate instead of silica. Growing shitty pot indoors with air filter is way worse than growing outdoors. You're gonna soak bud in sodium bicarbonate and argue its cleaner than not soaking it in sodium bicarbonate? What the fuck mindset is this. Does everyone have flu brain? The type that tells others not to foliar spray nutes, while spraying pesticides. Most airborne particle are foliar nutes.. And acid rain grows dank weed. Crops began being sulfur deficient and tasting like shit after the pollution caps. Pot growers these days are so fucking slow. Afraid of foliar nutes. Spray pesticides and washing their fucking bud in baking soda. While flushing nutes down the drain. All because they can't comprehend what words actually mean.

R

ritoMox

😄Damn, I don't know if the stuff you say is legit, but I sure dig reading it😆

Damn, this Mendo Breath got me! You just make too much sense right now ✌️

Last edited:
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

So I've never washed outdoor buds, mainly, because I never knew it was a thing until I discovered weed forums. I voted never have, never will. Which, maybe i shouldn't have, only because I might wash outdoor buds someday. Just not today and not any day soon. Maybe next year ill try it and only wash half the plant, then i can get a side by side comparison for my own results.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
The only place I've ever seen dust collect on a plant is by a chat (low grade limestone) road. And most growers are purposely feeding limestone to their trichomes for some reason. So what's the difference. That's what the trichs of modern shit cannabis are made from, calcium carbonate instead of silica. Growing shitty pot indoors with air filter is way worse than growing outdoors. You're gonna soak bud in sodium bicarbonate and argue its cleaner than not soaking it in sodium bicarbonate? What the fuck mindset is this. Does everyone have flu brain? The type that tells others not to foliar spray nutes, while spraying pesticides. Most airborne particle are foliar nutes.. And acid rain grows dank weed. Crops began being sulfur deficient and tasting like shit after the pollution caps. Pot growers these days are so fucking slow. Afraid of foliar nutes. Spray pesticides and washing their fucking bud in baking soda. While flushing nutes down the drain. All because they can't comprehend what words actually mean.
Acid rain - Sulfur Dioxide - is detrimental to crops even in low quantity because said molecule will undergoe a two-fold transformation and then be a very strong acid that can kill a plant from the inside out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom