Outdoor Cali growers

• Thread starter xX Kid Twist Xx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Just wondering why it is that so many people grow certain strains? I know the usual suspects all yield and grow easy, but when its all said and done they aren't worth very much. Like bluedream it gets you nice and high very good pot, but the looks just kills the price. buddy had soem blue moonshine smells great taste awesome, fucking high is incredible but it looks like shit. hard as hell to even get 200 an ounce for it. then you got strains like green crack, GDP,Bubba or afgooey you can litlereraly charge 7-1500 more a pound for this shit. It flies off the shelves and your begging people to take the bluedream, moonshine or this xj13 for 2800. the Urkles headbands, og's diesel or chems are even ok, people will take them and they move. last year got soem banging skunks and afganinis. I'd rather get get 60 or 70 lbs that i can sell for 2500-3000 grand wholesale, then 150 i got to beg people to take for whatever price i can get.

I know on the east coast we don't see the best cause it can be sold over there no sense bringing it here, but i see alot of people out there complaining too. I dont want people getting all riled up either i just wonder what's behind the growers choice. the things i dont know about, that cause these choices.

Rushoe

Rushoe

I think lots of this shit is all hype ppl take the stuff with the better label like og or chems bubba ect.....2800 for outdoor pounds seems really $$$$ but then again I am out here we could get some dank outdoor for like 1800/2000 a pound np...

D

DazedNconfussed

i live in cali, and would love to grow outdoor if i had the chance....and have thought the same...Id have 20 whitefire tree's out back if I could.......Id love to see a big outdoor whitefire og cause they sure stretch indoor....

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
just need soem these growers to chime in. wondering why they grow what they do. as its obvious the green cracks and gdps finish in time and grow well. just wondering why they dont just grow that or afgooeys and what not or hybrids. why grow bluedream or bluemoonshine instead? why would anyone grow HOG or XJ13.

kushluvr

kushluvr

i go to nor cal every fall to help with a mega guerrilla grow.........we are paid, feed, sheltered, and free smoke....200 a lb trimmed!

these are 12-15 ftrs...getting copious lbs per plant.....OG..doesnt produce, i agree, id rather be trimming OG, but its not the case, these are all diff hybrids too, ones they have tested before! its all a process/business....

shit, all the super dank grown here goes to cali for the $$$ too...and the coops here sell the b grade outdoor cali schwagg! theyre buying it for like 600 a Q....and bragging..! growers here are pissed!

shit, my last crop went to the East Coast! LOL!

Rushoe

Rushoe

just need soem these growers to chime in. wondering why they grow what they do. as its obvious the green cracks and gdps finish in time and grow well. just wondering why they dont just grow that or afgooeys and what not or hybrids. why grow bluedream or bluemoonshine instead? why would anyone grow HOG or XJ13.

Different strokes for different folks ?Something like bluedreams yields a grip and its easy to grow and maybe they don't have access to the dank cuts.

Blaze

Blaze

Because Blue Dream and some of the other strains that do good outside will yield about 5-6 times what the GDP does in good conditions. SO who care if you are getting a few hundred less a lb? Even if the Blue Dream sells for half the price of GDP you still make far more profit on the Blue Dream.

Also GDP grow like shit outside, whoever told you it "does well" is smoking crack. The smoke can be good but it is one of the lowest yielding strains for outdoor and it is extremely mold prone. Afgooey actually does pretty well, I know quite a few outdoor growers who run it, I am surprised you have not seen outdoor of it.

Part of it is also pest and stress resistance. A lot of the indoor strains have become so weakened from years of being bred in controlled environments that they can no longer deal with the natural stresses of an outdoor environment. Growing something where you are going to lose 75% of the crop to mold because the strain has zero resistance to it (Like say Sour Bubble) does not make a lot of sense either. Plus some strains that do great inside just have crap quality when they are grown outside. You need to find what strains does well in your particular micro-climate - which is why many outdoor growers stick to certain strains. They have figured out what works and what does not work in their area.

I personally like a more balanced approach. I will do a few of the fickle lower yield strains like some of the OG's and what not, but it would be quite foolish for one to fill their garden up with strains like that. Besides I've found a few strains that can yield well outside, and come out looking like indoor, so that's mostly the sort of genetics I like. Oh, and also often the best stuff gets kept by the grower and smoked so it never reaches the market. For example I did one cut of the SFV OG kush and the Mendo Pineapple this year. Am I going to sell it? Hell no. That shit is dank, I'm smoking it!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Because Blue Dream and some of the other strains that do good outside will yield about 5-6 times what the GDP does in good conditions. SO who care if you are getting a few hundred less a lb? Even if the Blue Dream sells for half the price of GDP you still make far more profit on the Blue Dream.

Also GDP grow like shit outside, whoever told you it "does well" is smoking crack. The smoke can be good but it is one of the lowest yielding strains for outdoor and it is extremely mold prone. Afgooey actually does pretty well, I know quite a few outdoor growers who run it, I am surprised you have not seen outdoor of it.

Part of it is also pest and stress resistance. A lot of the indoor strains have become so weakened from years of being bred in controlled environments that they can no longer deal with the natural stresses of an outdoor environment. Growing something where you are going to lose 75% of the crop to mold because the strain has zero resistance to it (Like say Sour Bubble) does not make a lot of sense either. Plus some strains that do great inside just have crap quality when they are grown outside. You need to find what strains does well in your particular micro-climate - which is why many outdoor growers stick to certain strains. They have figured out what works and what does not work in their area.

I personally like a more balanced approach. I will do a few of the fickle lower yield strains like some of the OG's and what not, but it would be quite foolish for one to fill their garden up with strains like that. Besides I've found a few strains that can yield well outside, and come out looking like indoor, so that's mostly the sort of genetics I like. Oh, and also often the best stuff gets kept by the grower and smoked so it never reaches the market. For example I did one cut of the SFV OG kush and the Mendo Pineapple this year. Am I going to sell it? Hell no. That shit is dank, I'm smoking it!

cool blaze this is the kinda insight im looking for. out here on the east coast strains like the Xj13, bluedream or the moonshine sell for 1000's less and take forever. the GDP thats kicking around is head banger boogie, stinky with a super narcotic high and purple with bright orange hairs. the greencrack is bright green with neon orange hairs and smokes great. Urkle must do pretty well cuz few peeps got that one.

D

daddymexbricks

I guess it just depends on the grower. Some ppl grow for quility and some grow for quantity! Ur blue dreams mr.nice afgoo are all the latter..

Blaze

Blaze

Urk definitely does better than the GDP outside from what I have seen; still can have mold issues, but it yields pretty good for a purple strain. One other thing If forgot to mention is a lot of the really big growers (I'm talking the dudes growing thousands of plants) are usually in it strictly for the money. They don't give a shit about quality, just yield. Hence the people producing the largest volume often have the lowest quality, so of course you see more of that on the market.

D

Don Ganja

These are very complex questions with even more complex answers. First off Blue Dream is a great plant to grow. The bud looks and smells amazing. I have a feeling the disappointing Blue Dream you speak of must be harvested prematurely and not properly dried,trimmed,cured,stored,and handled. I assure you the real BD grown properly and organic is very impressive herb.

There are many types of growers with many different goals and intentions. Of the 30+ strains I grew outdoors this year my Blue Dream has been some of the most desired from certain groups in the medical community.
Other people or collective prefer Sour Diesels and Kushes.

As far as the dude who mentioned OG desn't yield,I think you havent found the right OG or grow style. I grow several OG hybrids and clones that all yield very above average.
There are endless options of strains to grow and endless decisions to make for growers. It's all about what makes the most sense for each individual. And sometimes people don't always make the best decisions.

M

mastergreen

Blue dream, sour d, bubba kush, green crack are all commercial crops that go for 500-800 dollars less for the amount they yield compared to ogs, and 75 day hazes ect. Blue dream is dank looks amazing I don't know what cut you've seen or maybe the person growing it hasn't dialed it in..

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

Blue Dream may have been a little played out but even when I've done poorly with it, it looks beautiful. You must have got some bammer. Normally its nice. We've done 6-8lb on BD per plant. XJ13 when done right is fire along with Blue moonshine. Personally, I hate GDP. I don't like to grow it, trim it, or smoke it. That said, I'm not partial to the purple strains. The urks is a great strain, but grows too slow. I love the nose on that girl, though. I like my sour cut for the OD, and ID for that matter. It gets huge, great THC, and great in the bag. Blue Dream seems to be making a come back here in central cal so I might try one OD this year.

below frigid

below frigid

I probably do between 5 to 10 strains every season and most of them are different every year.
Last season I did some Green crack, OG, and some Chem crosses . A third of my grow was XJ-13. They were the only clones the rest were from seed. I could find nothing I did not like about that strain. It looked like indoor with the naked eye. A few photo's of the XJ. Hard for me not to do this one again this season. Peeps were paying 28 a unit. Not bad for outdoor in this market in CA.

DSCN3142
DSCN3139
P1310006
below frigid

below frigid

Ok one thing that was not great but not bad either, was the yield compared to some of the others. I still was getting 2 units per hole. If I ran it again I could easily bum it up to 3+!

T

tonto

Part of it is also pest and stress resistance. A lot of the indoor strains have become so weakened from years of being bred in controlled environments that they can no longer deal with the natural stresses of an outdoor environment.

never heard of this before, link/info about this?

Mogrow

Mogrow

it's true

Oh it's very true my friend. It's one of the hardest parts of the outdoor process anymore. Here is a good example, my california hashplant from 2010 would get done real quick but would be moldy. See dates on pics.

This is my priority, to develop a strain that will work in my enviroment. It ain't easy, specially if yyou want to get it out of the field by mid Sept. before the rippers get going hard and heavy...

192801 192802

B

Bluenote

never heard of this before, link/info about this?

It's absolutely , completely inargueably true, Take a look at the conditions some of the natural landraces exist in and compare how finicky a lot of todays fad strains are. Hell some of them are trying to commit suicide from the moment you take a cut or crack a seed.....indoors , much less outside.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I probably do between 5 to 10 strains every season and most of them are different every year.
Last season I did some Green crack, OG, and some Chem crosses . A third of my grow was XJ-13. They were the only clones the rest were from seed. I could find nothing I did not like about that strain. It looked like indoor with the naked eye. A few photo's of the XJ. Hard for me not to do this one again this season. Peeps were paying 28 a unit. Not bad for outdoor in this market in CA.

That is some fire looking oudoor!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah man the shit you guys are taking pics of is bomb but that shit dont make it out east, the bluedream most of the time sells for 1000's less then other stuff and its like whoever brings it brings a million lbs of it cause its just everywere and everyone is cutting each others throats trying to sell it. the xj13 is a golden brown and smells like hey and taste like modly socks smell

Top Bottom