Outdoor Grow Help. Dry ammendments and topping

• Thread starter Hipposcottamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hipposcottamus

Hipposcottamus

A few questions before I get started next month.

5 x RQS Sweet Zkittlez Outdoor grow
1 Gal - 3 Gal - 25 Gal Fabric Pots
Local soil mix of top soil, peat moss, compost, and loam

Gaia Green 4.4.4 for veg
Gaia Green 2.8.4 for Flower
Compost tea every 3 weeks

Questions

1. Would it be better to use the nutrients by mixing it directly into the soil @ 3 tbsp per gal or should I just top dress @ 2 tbsp per gal? Should I pre load the soil and cook it or is that not necessary?

2. Will using the 4.4.4 in the 1 Gal be to early for young plants to handle?

3. Is topping neccessary outdoors. If I do not need to control the height of my plants is topping them worthwhile outdoors?

Thanks in advance for all the answers and opinions. This is my third grow and I am always looking to improve.

teejacks

teejacks

i dont give plants any nutes until second/third week of growth. seedlings dont need much. when i transplant into a bigger pot i add nutes to soil and mix it in. 4-4-4 should be a good mix and when you plant outside i recommend worm castings. topping just depends on personal preference and plant size/strain. i always top at 3-4 feet around 10th-15th node then probably once a month with last top mid july if needed. sometimes ill cut a plant more then 20 times. having a plant over 8 feet high is harder to maintain

teejacks

teejacks

i personally top a lot to also create a smaller bud size as im in a colder climate and big buds usually equal bud rot for me

B

Burned Haze

I don't know that brand of nutes you posted above ( theres so many brands) , but i can give you my suggestion for what i have done my homework and experience on =

Great dry based amendments: just apply every 2-3 weeks ( follow guide/look at plants , you can use their whole line or just these three products) I have been using these dry organic mix for 4 rounds and now on my 5th and can def vouch it works and inless your in commercial level ( even then inless your making your own organics , good deal and premixed ) and want to buy all alot of stuff ( and its in big bags or get ripped off in small bags and get ripped of by 10x) you and they premix em in proper npk ratio and give you fungi and bennie bacterias

uprising line:

last year i upgraded and even did their terp tea line as well, the plants looked great and i def could see and smell and the trichs were so sticky on no matter what pheno . What i did with the terp tea was is treated with my bennie 7 day schedule and teaed it at the same time and brewed it with my insect frass ( since all these things get brewed every 7 days and hand drenched )

whole dry line and website ( love their bat/ seabird guano too)

what i love about their line is their easy to scale your dry to the gal in your pots and everything is kept simple and the products are prime and worth it and the company test it in their own garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
atskippy3

atskippy3

A few questions before I get started next month.

5 x RQS Sweet Zkittlez Outdoor grow
1 Gal - 3 Gal - 25 Gal Fabric Pots
Local soil mix of top soil, peat moss, compost, and loam

Gaia Green 4.4.4 for veg
Gaia Green 2.8.4 for Flower
Compost tea every 3 weeks

Questions

1. Would it be better to use the nutrients by mixing it directly into the soil @ 3 tbsp per gal or should I just top dress @ 2 tbsp per gal? Should I pre load the soil and cook it or is that not necessary?

2. Will using the 4.4.4 in the 1 Gal be to early for young plants to handle?

3. Is topping neccessary outdoors. If I do not need to control the height of my plants is topping them worthwhile outdoors?

Thanks in advance for all the answers and opinions. This is my third grow and I am always looking to improve.

I use ProMix HP and make my own Super Soil:
BASE INGREDIENTS
30% ProMix HP
15% Sea Compost
15% Earthworm Castings
30% Pearlite

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
a. Gaia Green 2.8.4 and/or 4.4.4 (depending on whether I'm growing Autos and/or Photos).
b. Wallace Organic Wonder Premium Mycorrhizae Inoculant or MYKE Mycorrhizae Inoculant (depending on what is available).
c. Diatomaceous Earth, if I'm feeling a little "frisky"!!

Mix all the ingredients together well. Add water until the soil is moist, NOT wet. Place in bins with lids and let "cook" outside in the sun for 30 to 45 days. I open the bins once a week and mix the soil, adding water if necessary. The beneficial fungi that grows on top of the soil is mixed back into the soil when you do your weekly mix.

After that, the Super Soil is added to the bottom 1/3 of my final pots, with the top 2/3 being only ProMix HP. Sometimes I add a little bit of the Earthworm Castings to the ProMix HP in the top 2/3.

I top-dress with Gaia Green as necessary, based on what my plants are "telling" me by their colour, growth rate, etc. Otherwise it's just tap, or Spring water until harvest. I don't adjust the pH because the Super Soil will "adjust" the water up or down for me.
Let the "living" soil do the "work" for you, rather than you doing all the work! Also, there is no need for the final "flush", because no salts have been added. It's 100% organic!

I use the Super Soil that I always have left over and mixing it into the new batch for the next grow, and so on. I have Super Soil that is partly Super Soil from 5 or 6 grows before!

Any unused Super Soil remains in the bins. I check on it a few times during the year. It costs more up front, but it evens out over the years. I grow for a Non-Profit Co-Op of 10 "shareholders", so I can spread out the cost of the Super Soil and the seeds.

Nothing wrong with FFarm, or other pre-made SuperSoils (I used FFarm in the beginning), but I would rather make my own. After all, that is part of the joy of gardening!

Top Bottom