Outdoor grow soil

• Thread starter dankbank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dankbank

i will be doing alot of outdoor growing this summer and i will be making 6'' deep holes and filling them with soil but i am unsure on what soil to use and what ingredients to use in the soil.

Suggestions please?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

6" hole isn't going to give you much of a base for root's. I did an outdoor run this last summer and we dug out about 5 gals of soil for each plant. Thats one thing I would have done a bit different, along with a multitude of other things.

If I can make a recomendation I would say go with smart pots or raised flower beds.

Google Subcool's Soil Recipe.

D

DaPurps

start with a promix
chicken poop
Earth Worm Castings
Perlite
Bone meal
Kelp
Oyster Shell
Dolomite Lime
Gypsum

6" is nothing outdoors.

D

DaPurps

which half ?

chicken poop - chickens
earth worm poop - earth worms
perilite - wal mart, lowes, home depot, etc... any local nursery
Bone meal - garden centers
kelp - nursery or online
oyster shell - from oysters, some garden centers, hydro shops, nurseries may stock some
Lime - anywhere....
gypsum - garden center...

want me to come dig the holes ?

:)

D

dankbank

which half ?

chicken poop - chickens
earth worm poop - earth worms
perilite - wal mart, lowes, home depot, etc... any local nursery
Bone meal - garden centers
kelp - nursery or online
oyster shell - from oysters, some garden centers, hydro shops, nurseries may stock some
Lime - anywhere....
gypsum - garden center...

want me to come dig the holes ?

:)

haha i would actually love that, being in a smaller town sometimes the resources are limited but instead of chicken poop could i possibly use horse poop?

D

dankbank

i also need to know amount of each item per gallon or some measurement

Blaze

Blaze

So 6" deep holes is a little shallow. Do at least 12", or 18" if you can. Any deeper than 2' is a waste of time though, especially with clones. Make you holes wider - the wider the better. If possible build a raised bed - they work better than growing in-ground or in smart pots or containers.

D

dankbank

So 6" deep holes is a little shallow. Do at least 12", or 18" if you can. Any deeper than 2' is a waste of time though, especially with clones. Make you holes wider - the wider the better. If possible build a raised bed - they work better than growing in-ground or in smart pots or containers.

so two feet deep and how wide would ya say, im not doing any huge plants just some small autos

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

I agree completely that you want to go deeper than 6". To really take full advantage of growing outdoors, you should definitely loosen up and condition the soil to 2 feet or the depth of the water table, whichever is shallower.

You don't necessarily need exact ingredients to amend the soil. The main way to improve a mineral soil is to add organic matter. The best of the inexpensive forms is composted manure. If horse manure is what you have available, use it. If it's not composted, incorporate it NOW for planting in the spring. It's not a good idea to use the fresh stuff just before planting.

Agricultural lime (preferably dolomitic limestone) will likely be necessary to adjust pH upward, and it also supplies all the Ca and Mg you'll need, most likely. If you can send in a soil sample to a lab for pH and lime requirement, they'll tell you exactly what you need (tell them you're growing a vegetable garden, and you'll get good recommendations for weed).

Don't worry about oyster shells unless they're readily available. If they are, you can use them instead of lime, but I don't know how much Mg they have. Oyster shells can supply some micronutrients, but don't sweat it. You can supply them in other ways, if needed.

If your pH is right, your soil is amended with organic matter, and there is a population of earthworms in the area, you'll get plenty of worm activity, and free castings. If there aren't any worms in the area, dig some up elsewhere and bring them in. And not just one or two. Castings are great, but if you don't have access to a decent grow shop, it's worth employing a few of the local worms instead.

You should be able to get bone meal. But be warned that bone meal and dried blood can get dogs and coyotes in a digging mood.

I never use perlite outside, because I like to have some plausible deniability if the plants are found by LE. "I have no idea how that plant got there, Your Honor. It is a weed, after all." If that's not an issue, it's great for poorly aerated soils. If that kind of stealth is an issue, use sand. You'll need a lot more sand to replace a given amount of perlite.

The rule of thumb is that a plant's roots extend out about as far as its branches will when it's full grown. The plants I grow outside have always been sativa doms, so plenty of elbow room is a good idea. I have no idea how wide your strains will get.

Good luck. I love growing outside, but sometimes my nerves can't take it.

D

dankbank

I agree completely that you want to go deeper than 6". To really take full advantage of growing outdoors, you should definitely loosen up and condition the soil to 2 feet or the depth of the water table, whichever is shallower.

You don't necessarily need exact ingredients to amend the soil. The main way to improve a mineral soil is to add organic matter. The best of the inexpensive forms is composted manure. If horse manure is what you have available, use it. If it's not composted, incorporate it NOW for planting in the spring. It's not a good idea to use the fresh stuff just before planting.

Agricultural lime (preferably dolomitic limestone) will likely be necessary to adjust pH upward, and it also supplies all the Ca and Mg you'll need, most likely. If you can send in a soil sample to a lab for pH and lime requirement, they'll tell you exactly what you need (tell them you're growing a vegetable garden, and you'll get good recommendations for weed).

Don't worry about oyster shells unless they're readily available. If they are, you can use them instead of lime, but I don't know how much Mg they have. Oyster shells can supply some micronutrients, but don't sweat it. You can supply them in other ways, if needed.

If your pH is right, your soil is amended with organic matter, and there is a population of earthworms in the area, you'll get plenty of worm activity, and free castings. If there aren't any worms in the area, dig some up elsewhere and bring them in. And not just one or two. Castings are great, but if you don't have access to a decent grow shop, it's worth employing a few of the local worms instead.

You should be able to get bone meal. But be warned that bone meal and dried blood can get dogs and coyotes in a digging mood.

I never use perlite outside, because I like to have some plausible deniability if the plants are found by LE. "I have no idea how that plant got there, Your Honor. It is a weed, after all." If that's not an issue, it's great for poorly aerated soils. If that kind of stealth is an issue, use sand. You'll need a lot more sand to replace a given amount of perlite.

The rule of thumb is that a plant's roots extend out about as far as its branches will when it's full grown. The plants I grow outside have always been sativa doms, so plenty of elbow room is a good idea. I have no idea how wide your strains will get.

Good luck. I love growing outside, but sometimes my nerves can't take it.

this tells me a lot, thank you. a couple questions still though.

-I own horses, so could i possibly take a bunch of horse crap off the manuar pile, or would that not be composted enough.

- as far as getting my soil tested for ph, i dont know of any labs around my area. so how would i go about doing that?

-And i have plenty of sand from surrounding areas so i could use that.

-So right now as i can see my soil mixture will be composed of:

....horse manuare
....sand
....lime
....worm castings
.... a base potting soil

anything else i should add to this mixture? And ratios of these mixtures at all?

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

Are you in the US? If so, your state's land grant university has a soil test lab, and they do soil test for either a very low price, or free. If you don't know which university is the land grant one, check this list:
US Land Grant Universities

Once again, I suggest employing the local worms, if possible. They will help turn your local horse poop into growing gold.

Keep in mind that in spite of all the information there is on growing weed, it's a relatively easy plant to grow, as garden plants go. There are a lot of things you don't HAVE to do, but they can increase yields if you do.

ohana farms

ohana farms

i will be doing alot of outdoor growing this summer and i will be making 6'' deep holes and filling them with soil but i am unsure on what soil to use and what ingredients to use in the soil.

Suggestions please?

Your going to need 3' deep Min. and 8ftmin dia.

W

wil2279

what strains of autos are you growing? you should consider growing in 5 or 7 gal root pots or smart pots. if you are growing autos, you are growing from seeds not clones... I would make your holes about the size of a 5 gal bucket if you insist on planting them in the ground. or about 2 ft deep and 2 ft wide should be just fine... like someone else said already... it isn't really a hard plant to grow. a lot of the stuff people do is just to try to mamimize yield and quality... you can plant the seeds in a mixture of potting soil with a bag of cow poop from home depot mixed in with maybe some perlite and you will get nice looking plants.

D

dankbank

what strains of autos are you growing? you should consider growing in 5 or 7 gal root pots or smart pots. if you are growing autos, you are growing from seeds not clones... I would make your holes about the size of a 5 gal bucket if you insist on planting them in the ground. or about 2 ft deep and 2 ft wide should be just fine... like someone else said already... it isn't really a hard plant to grow. a lot of the stuff people do is just to try to mamimize yield and quality... you can plant the seeds in a mixture of potting soil with a bag of cow poop from home depot mixed in with maybe some perlite and you will get nice looking plants.

would horse poop do the job or is it to acidic

KAL EL

KAL EL

Just get some decent potting mix to put in your holes. Read up on making teas and you should be just fine.

Blaze

Blaze

Kal El has a good point on the teas. Teas are really important for soil grows IMO, if you are not using them, your plants are not being grown to their potential.

TortureKill

TortureKill

SInce your growing autos, and no veg is really needed, it would be wise to get them to a good hearty start indoors.. Start the seeds inside underlights, in atleast 1L pots. When growing autos there's no much room for error, or stunting. You're right the wholes won't need to be necessarily as large as you would need for a larger growing plant that will be vegging all summer and flowering in the fall. For my outdoor grows, I try to find an area with decent soil so I dont have to haul in as much of my own. Find a really rich dark soil, that isnt too wet or too dry. Try to stay away from clay.

For Autos, I like to dig and till up an area about 5 ft around. Dig down about 3 feet. Till the land up really nice, and remove any roots, weeds, and stones. I usually remove almost all of the tilled earth and put it in a pile next to the hole. In the bottom of the whole I mix about 1/2 of the native soil with 1/2 Promix BX w/ mycorrhizae. Next a layer of Humus goes down, and a layer of the promix. The top half of the whole is a mix of the native soil and promix. Some times i will add perlite deep in the whole but never on the surface. The promix and perlite keeps the ground loose, and aerated. Sometimes I will dig single trenches and spread them out throughout the area. The idea of autos is to blend in with the surrounding foliage, so you dont want to plant them in rows. Plant them as a ground cover in the 5ft area who just tilled and amended. Cover the surfaces with dead leaves and twigs, try to cover the surface. Th

Top Bottom