Outdoor grower going inside for first time

• Thread starter Chronic_Ontarian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chronic_Ontarian

Chronic_Ontarian

Good day to everyone,

I am finally making the leap indoors. I have always been a random seed grower, where I normally germ 30 to 50 seeds at a time, then as I find the males, snip snip snip they go, then i grow the fems that are left over outdoors.

What do you prefer more, indoor or outdoor growing? Reasons and minor explanation if available

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I prefer the control of indoor growing, but when I lived down at 34 and 35 deg. N. Lat., that death-ray sun was hard to beat. But it wasn't legal there (still isn't) and the pests were varied and intense.

Chronic_Ontarian

Chronic_Ontarian

I am in central Ontario and have a much shorter grow season, so i think i will appreciate the controlled aspect of my indoor grow!

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

There are so many different answers to this question for so many different reasons. As you both mentioned legality & region of growing. I live in Northeastern Ohio which isnt far from Canada so I have similar climate to you I assume. I always did outdoor myself but kept things simple. Having to be stealth I usually used 5 gallon buckets & camouflaged them but still stressed everytime a chopper flew over which was alot. Doing indoor last yr.im the type of person who overthinks everything. So I guess what im saying is it comes down to preference & how much work you wanna put in for quality bud.

logdog

logdog

Outdoors has the advantage of just letting them get as big as they want to be and the Sun of course, but I sure don't miss ants/insects, rabbits, stoner deer, freak hail storms, early killing frosts, fall freezing rains strictly indoors for a long while now I like the consistency and privacy it offers. Im in the Northeast so if I lived in a more hospitable climate I would probably reconsider.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I grew outdoor guerilla gardens over a decade ago and it was more “farm” work bringing water, soil, shovels to the location but man was it worth it. Growing my first time indoors and I love the control and access to my garden and not to mention the privacy. I like both for different reasons I wish I could grow outdoors in my backyard that would make it more enjoyable but for legal reasons can’t so it’s strictly indoor and my outdoor guerilla garden. One of the strains I’m growing is one I used to grow outdoors and I’m curious to see how much different the bud quality is indoors.

Chronic_Ontarian

Chronic_Ontarian

There are so many different answers to this question for so many different reasons. As you both mentioned legality & region of growing. I live in Northeastern Ohio which isnt far from Canada so I have similar climate to you I assume. I always did outdoor myself but kept things simple. Having to be stealth I usually used 5 gallon buckets & camouflaged them but still stressed everytime a chopper flew over which was alot. Doing indoor last yr.im the type of person who overthinks everything. So I guess what im saying is it comes down to preference & how much work you wanna put in for quality bud.
I am not in the Green Belt of Ontario, I am part of the snowbelt. For quality, I am a stay at home dad and "retired" early. So i have all the time in the world to increase my indoor growing experience with help and knowledge from all you fellow growers! Thanks for the reply. Of all the great lakes states i have never been to Ohio yet. Ever. One I hope to visit there!

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I grew outdoor guerilla gardens over a decade ago and it was more “farm” work bringing water, soil, shovels to the location but man was it worth it. Growing my first time indoors and I love the control and access to my garden and not to mention the privacy. I like both for different reasons I wish I could grow outdoors in my backyard that would make it more enjoyable but for legal reasons can’t so it’s strictly indoor and my outdoor guerilla garden. One of the strains I’m growing is one I used to grow outdoors and I’m curious to see how much different the bud quality is indoors.
Yeah,it and you always look suspicious carrying those buckets of water back,lol. I always did my best to be lowkey & do early in the morning.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I am not in the Green Belt of Ontario, I am part of the snowbelt. For quality, I am a stay at home dad and "retired" early. So i have all the time in the world to increase my indoor growing experience with help and knowledge from all you fellow growers! Thanks for the reply. Of all the great lakes states i have never been to Ohio yet. Ever. One I hope to visit there!
Yeah,im in Ohio not far from erie so we get plenty of snow. That was my problem this yr. Im doing inside grow in garage but garage isnt insulated so ive been waiting for it to warm up. Was still having lows in the 30s & snowed a lil more than a wk ago.

Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

The number one thing I'll tell you is. KEEP INDOOR PLANTS INDOORS!

Do not even let any unfiltered outside air drawn in. The indoor plants should never know the sunlight on their crystal-soaked leaves. If you start em inside for outside, of course, that's fine. Once out of that grow room lock the door.

As a rule, only harmful bugs will attach to the plants and make it indoors. :)

I put my plants on the roof for a month, first time ever I got BUGS, once in a while a lonely ladybug was the extent of my infestation before. first grow was literally eaten, next grow big healthy plants, scrog net literally full, waiting for the buds...waiting...waiting...WTF what the hell kind of spiders makes weed home?

I had about 3 oz when I should have had 3 Lbs, sucked the chlorophyll out of almost every bud. Didn't wipe the spider mites out completely the 1st time -the mites turned into super spider farmer mites, next to impossible to kill.Took 2 grows to get rid of that. I finally purged the room dry, froze for 2 weeks, bleached again.

I know the temptation is great to move them outside. I wish I could grow outside here. You could have weeks, months, years of problems for a few minutes in the sun....

PS I'll also add, don't be surprised if you don't like the indoor growing. It's 10x as hard 300x more expense, for 33% of the results.

I've got 4K+ invested indoors and struggle- My drunk buddy stuck 20 clones and dirt with some "Happy Frog" on it and watered if he remembered to-
9 foot f*cking high weed plants......NO BUGS. lol

Everyone was amazed I trimmed for 3 weeks I swear I found one leaf chewed the whole time, leaves never even turned brown, it was growing in NOV in Wisconsin. I think the dying apple tree had to do with the incredibleness of no harmful bugs. Guess apples taste better than weed. (hint-plant sacrificial fruit trees next to your crop.)
9 foot plants..... watered if I remember......no bugs..... Happy 'F:íng frog......Roots thick as trees........No electric bill........I'm going to go cry now

Last edited:
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Youre not missing anything! Ohio isnt that great. On the other other hand i went to Ontario on 8th grade field trip. I thought it was great! Toronto was the cleanest city ive ever been to. Pittsburgh & Cleveland are so dirty so I wasnt used to seeing a city so clean,lol. This was probably the 90s,not sure if its changed.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Good day to everyone,

I am finally making the leap indoors. I have always been a random seed grower, where I normally germ 30 to 50 seeds at a time, then as I find the males, snip snip snip they go, then i grow the fems that are left over outdoors.

What do you prefer more, indoor or outdoor growing? Reasons and minor explanation if available
Hey, welcome to the farm. I'm down in Nova Scotia and I've had more success indoors than outside. I'm 68 long retired and loving it, this indoor growing hobby is addictive so be prepared to be spending a lot of time with this.

This site is great, there's lots of help from experienced growers that have been at it a long time. Read the forums and participate, I've been here a couple of years now and I'm a much better and more successful grower now that I was before I got here.

I'll be putting some Auto's outdoors soon and maybe 1 or 2 Photo clones I've cut but I'll be lucky to get any good smoke from them because of our short growing season. The cold damp foggy days of October ruin's photo's, I hope to harvest the Auto's the end of august.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Yeah,it and you always look suspicious carrying those buckets of water back,lol. I always did my best to be lowkey & do early in the morning.
Well I was kind lucky I had a creek nearby so I would fill my jugs there and then it was a short walk from there. I would move in silence and listen for any passerbyer and one time I had to hurry up and hide in the brush bc there was some poachers dragging a deer carcass. I was out there doing something illegal and so were they. I almost shit a brick that time

HerbCyclone

HerbCyclone

I have a 30x40 greehouse with a false floor. If I could do it over again, I'd leave out the concrete and go straight into the ground. For me, container gardening is 100x harder than outdoor gardening.
I prefer the outdoor pests to the greenhouse varieties with organic gardening where I'm not spraying harsh chemicals. I'd way rather be able to spray off my plants with plain H20 than have my only option being to spray pretty much daily or every other day for IPM.
Hard to keep my soil and be able to clean my greenhouse, so I always throw in beds and buy new shit every year. This makes it hard to approach it with permaculture techniques. No worms, no lady bugs, no rolli pollis, no predator mites.
My tomatillo plants are 10 feet by early July in rich heavy clay soil, meanewhile my tiny greenhouse garden is 10 feet by October if I'm incredibly lucky.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Well I was kind lucky I had a creek nearby so I would fill my jugs there and then it was a short walk from there. I would move in silence and listen for any passerbyer and one time I had to hurry up and hide in the brush bc there was some poachers dragging a deer carcass. I was out there doing something illegal and so were they. I almost shit a brick that time
Ive had a few close calls myself,lol. My new place has a gas well rd.running along side the house that barely gets any traffic. I was tying up branches on one of my plants last yr.& cop came rolling by. He was on me so quick I had no time to react cuz running would have made me look really suspect so I just froze. He looked at me & rolled straight past,lol. I almost died of a heart attack. There was no mistaking from that distance what kinda plant it was.

E

erickvelez5

Yeah,im in Ohio not far from erie so we get plenty of snow. That was my problem this yr. Im doing inside grow in garage but garage isnt insulated so ive been waiting for it to warm up. Was still having lows in the 30s & snowed a lil more than a wk ago.
I’m in Erie and it’s cold with lots of snow on the ground 🥶

Top Bottom